Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Zjednoczone Sily Natury "Mech" for symphonic (PL)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedZjednoczone Sily Natury "Mech" for symphonic (PL)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Zjednoczone Sily Natury "Mech" for symphonic (PL)
    Posted: March 12 2017 at 14:29
Apologies if this is not the case, but I cannot find any information on Mech anywhere on Progarchives? Also known as ZSNM or Zjednoczone Sily Natury Mech. It might just be my computer search skills, but if this band indeed is not yet featured here, then it by all means should be, under, perhaps, symphonic label?

Edited by Darious - March 13 2017 at 02:07
Writing about truth is a little bit like getting your dick out in public and hoping no one laughs (Steve Hogarth)
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2017 at 21:59
^ These recordings are apparently very early ones. As I understand it, they are now primarily a hard rock/metal band.

Bio from Metal-Archives website: http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Mech/56654:

"Vocalist/guitarist Maciej Januszko, vocalist/keyboardist Robert Milewski, guitarist Janusz Łakomiec, bassist Krzysztof Fijałkowski and ex-jazz band Air Condition drummer Adam Lewandowski formed Mech in 1977 in Warsaw. Rhythm section was replaced in 1979 by future Perfect bassist Andrzej Nowicki and sticksman Janusz Domański. They played their debut show at the Muzyka Młodej Generacji festival the same year, later gigging alongside Exodus and Kombi in their home country, sharing stage with Alphaville, Omega, Electra and Mike Oldfield on major West Berlin events. Visual effects, lasers, lightning and quadraphonic-sound was incorporated in their shows, elements pioneered by the band in Poland. 

They recorded 2 albums in 1983, entitled Bluffmania and Tasmania, presenting new future Lady Pank drummer Andrzej Dylewski. Shortly afterwards, Milewski left, guitarist Samba and drummer Wiesław Gola were added. In 1986 they broke-up.

Mech was reactivated in 2005, featuring Januszko, Łakomiec, introducing new members Dziki on guitar, bassist Krzysztof Najman and drummer Posejdon. In autumn the band went on tour through Poland, releasing through Metal Mind Productions their first album in 2 decades, simply entitled Mech. The song “Painkiller” was used for the DreamCatcher Interactive first-person shooter videogame of the same name."

Here is Last.fm's take on them: https://www.last.fm/music/Mech/+wiki:

"Mech - a.k.a ZSN "Mech" or Zjednoczone Siły Natury "Mech" (meaning - United Forces of Nature "Moss") was originally a classic rock band from Warsaw, Poland. They formed in 1977, released 2 albums and split up in 1986. They reunited in 2005 in an industrial/groove metal sound (like Pantera meets The Prodigy) A selftitled album was released in 2005, but they are best known for soundtrack of the great first-person shooter Painkiller: Heaven's Got A Hitman. Also a game-themed video of the song Painkiller had been shot."

"Mech (originally as Zjednoczone Siły Natury "Mech") was established in Warsaw in 1977 on the initiative of Maciej Januszko and Robert Milewski. Initially, the team was composed of: Maciej Januszko - vocals, guitar; Robert Milewski aka Millord - vocals, keyboards; Janusz Łakomiec - guitar; Krzysztof Fijałkowski - bass guitar; Adam Lewandowski - drums (min. Air Condition ); Andrzej Nowicki - bass guitar (later Perfect ); Janusz Domanski - drums. The band recorded the material that was released only in 2016.

From 1981 Mech was composed of: Maciej Januszko - bass, guitar, vocals; Janusz Łakomiec - guitar, vocals; Robert Milewski aka Millord - keyboards, vocals; Andrzej Dylewski - drums, percussion. This lineup recorded two albums Bluffmania and Tasmania - both were released in 1983.

The team suspended operations in 1987 and was reactivated in 2004 . Back came the initiative Jurek Owsiak and Janusz "Blackbirds" Kosinski . The new lineup addition Maciej Januszko (vocals), were: Piotr "Wild" Chancewicz - guitar (Syndi , Agency , BO-Session , Dogbite); Krzysztof Najman - bass guitar (Closterkeller , Tadeusz Nalepa , John Porter Band , Virgin); Peter "Poseidon" Pawlowski - drums (ex Closterkeller , John Porter Band , Virgin).

In autumn 2005 released the first reunion album the band on which you can hear some of the old songs in new arrangements and new, kept in the convention of hard and heavy rock . The album also videos for the track "Painkiller" and "I do not see anything."

Mech performs at major festivals and cultural events in the country as Woodstock , Finale of the Great Orchestra of Christmas Charity in Warsaw, Hunterfest , Metal Hammer Festival , and alongside artists such as Korn , Black Label Society , Soulfly or Heaven and Hell .

Of 5th November 2008, the band appeared alongside the group Uriah Heep. On 10th of August 2011, the team with Judas Priest took part in another Metal Hammer Festival ."

The very early material is indeed quite excellent progressive rock of a largely symphonic nature, and the Gad Records website that currently sells it states this: (again via google translate) https://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=pl&u=http://gadrecords.pl/katalog/zjednoczone-sily-natury-mech:

" - Complete documentation of the first incarnation of the group Mech (even as  Zjednoczone Siły Natury Mech), proposing the progressive rock of the highest order, inspired by the flagship achievements of Genesis or Yes.

- Surprising twists bravura instrumental passages and the unique mood of a documented set of recordings of the radio band, songs from their debut single and unique, concert version of "Atlantis Suite".

- Material remastered in Florida by Robert Millorda, the then leader of the group. Plus extensive booklet with unique photographs (including Jack Awakumowskiego and Miroslaw R. Makowski) and sketch on the recordings."

"Before Mech released the album "Bluffmania" and "Tasmania", he sang "Is it possible" and painted concerts hair green, was one of the greatest hopes of Polish progressive rock and music of Young Generation. Trace documentation of this period, finally gaining full dimension: this is Zjednoczone Siły Natury Mech from the time of Gulliver and Atlantis.

In 1979-81  Zjednoczone Siły Natury Mech was one of the most interesting music of Young Generation. Proposed symphonic rock, which sounded echoes of the greatest artists of the genre, but skillfully translated into your own ideas. They toured successfully throughout the country, filling the last places large halls. But they had no luck with the record and the only documentation of this period was for years ... their debut single. After years of the United Forces of Nature we restore the proper size, presenting a set of studio recordings from this period. It's a thrilling journey through time and space, full of beautiful melodies, instrumental passages daring and surprising twists.

The program board made a complete recording of the first (and only) session band radio of August 1980, the songs from her debut single "Garden of Dreams" and the unreleased, live version of the song the most important ZSN mech, "Atlantis Suite". The whole was re-mastered in the studio of Robert Millorda Florida. Album supplemented by an extensive booklet, in which, apart from a sketch on the recordings can be found unique pictures of Jack Awakumowskiego and Miroslaw R. Makowski."

This early material was released on February 26, 2016, but I couldn't find any reference to the event on the facebook page of the current incarnation of the band - although this isn't all that easy to check as a non-Polish person. Embarrassed

So the question is...Can the band be considered for inclusion here based purely on about an hour's worth of highly atypical very early material by a previous line up, from which only the vocalist Maciej Januszko still remains, that was recorded many years ago, and only recently released? Ermm ...but it is rather good though! Big smile

There actually was another post about the band in July of last year here: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=107361&PID=5351660#5351660 ("Mech - the other Polish symph prog band" - in the 'Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation' section of the forum. At the time the only other Polish band included here in Symphonic Prog was Exodus, but we have since seen Thrilos added). WARNING - AT THE MOMENT, THE ABOVE FORUM PAGE IMMEDIATELY DOWNLOADS A FILE CALLED NVoWViGZwkU.swf TO MY COMPUTER, WHICH CHROME WARNS ME MIGHT HARM IT, AND ASKS IF I WANT TO KEEP OR DISCARD IT!!! Shocked It's actually just the remains of the YouTube video for 'Atlantis Suite' that should have been embedded there, but something has gone awry with the coding. Admins might want to check this... Ermm 

Nobody actually responded to the post, and in it Hrychu says: "...Unfortunately, they can't be added to the archives due to the fact that they did not release an album in this style"...Well they have now!!!! Big smile

I'd be tempted to edit the title of your suggestion - firstly to include the country that the band is from, to encourage our Polish members to view it and maybe add more info here that they might be able to glean about this early work of the band from being able to understand the original Polish text (or voices, where appropriate) rather than having to rely on google translations - and secondly to include the word 'Symphonic', to attract the attention of the members of the Symphonic Prog team upon whom the decision to evaluate the band or not, based solely on this very different early material, will most likely fall.

Edit: There was a broadcast on PolskieRadio on 4th Jan 2016 where Maciej Januszko, leader of Mech, talks about "our newest-oldest record we released the recordings made in 1980 and two even earlier", he says in an interview on the program "Music Jedynka":

"The main part of the album "Zjednoczone siły natury" (United forces of nature) was established during the session of radio studios on the street Malczewski and Myśliwiecka in August 1980. It complemented the songs from the debut single "Garden of Dreams" and the unreleased, live version of the group's most important song "Atlantis Suite".

The origins of the band's history dates back to 1977:"We used the hospitality of the club Mechanic Warsaw University of Technology. On the broader water we sailed in 1979 on the Music of Young Generation in Sopot. We played then "Atlantis Suite", arousing considerable admiration", says Maciej Januszko.

The interview with Maciej was uploaded to YouTube in April of last year, and so can also be watched on there (if you understand Polish): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AB_6KJ9C5cA.

Edited by yam yam - March 13 2017 at 00:27
Darious View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2017 at 02:03
Originally posted by yam yam yam yam wrote:

I'd be tempted to edit the title of your suggestion - firstly to include the country that the band is from, to encourage our Polish members to view it and maybe add more info here that they might be able to glean about this early work of the band from being able to understand the original Polish text (or voices, where appropriate) rather than having to rely on google translations - and secondly to include the word 'Symphonic', to attract the attention of the members of the Symphonic Prog team upon whom the decision to evaluate the band or not, based solely on this very different early material, will most likely fall.
Thanks for your fantastic response and the suggestion to edit the title of this topic, I'll try to update it.
Writing about truth is a little bit like getting your dick out in public and hoping no one laughs (Steve Hogarth)
MChPro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2017 at 04:20

LABEL: GAD Records
CARRIER: CD
NUMBER: GAD CD 040

Tuzvihar View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2017 at 13:21
Hey, I left a notice in the Symph Team's thread yesterday. No response yet.

BTW, great work David! Thumbs Up

Edited by Tuzvihar - March 14 2017 at 13:22
"Music is much like f**king, but some composers can't climax and others climax too often, leaving themselves and the listener jaded and spent."

Charles Bukowski
rdtprog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Heavy, RPI, Symph, JR/F Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2017 at 14:06
Originally posted by Tuzvihar Tuzvihar wrote:

Hey, I left a notice in the Symph Team's thread yesterday. No response yet.

BTW, great work David! Thumbs Up

I sent a PM to Ivan
Music is the refuge of souls ulcerated by happiness.

Emile M. Cioran

yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2017 at 14:10
^ & ^^ Thanks both! Thumbs Up Approve
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2017 at 16:16
Originally posted by MChPro MChPro wrote:

LABEL: GAD Records
CARRIER: CD
NUMBER: GAD CD 040

The earlier stuff is Hard Rock.

This album shouts Neo Prog to me.

Not unusual in Polish bands.

Will tell Anton, being that RdtProg already is informed, but honestly, sounds Neo to me.

Sorry

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - March 14 2017 at 16:24

SouthSideoftheSky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2017 at 16:56

I'm okey with letting the Neo guys having a go at this first. It does have a sort of Pendragon feel.

DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2017 at 17:02
Sounds more symphonic for me but I can take them if you cannot accept. Smile
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2017 at 22:35
Originally posted by SouthSideoftheSky SouthSideoftheSky wrote:

I'm okey with letting the Neo guys having a go at this first. It does have a sort of Pendragon feel.

Exactly what I thought

Sounded like Pendragon

Two negative votes, not accepted.

Sorry.

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - March 14 2017 at 23:28

MChPro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2017 at 04:45
GAD Records album (2016) consists of the first (and only) radio session of August 1980, the songs from the debut single "Ogród Snów / Romantic Blues" (1980) and the unreleased, live version of the most important ZSN Mech song "Atlantis Suite".

Is it neo prog?

Edited by MChPro - March 15 2017 at 04:51
Darious View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2017 at 06:51
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

not accepted.
This is a bad, wrong decision, based largely on prejudice ("usual in Polish bands"). Symphonic Progarchives will never be complete without Mech. I agree with Yum-Yum's and DamoXt7942's insightful assessments. They obviously are very knowledgeable on symphonic progressive rock.
Darious View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2017 at 06:54

Is it neo prog?
This obviously is not, but some guys, who consider themselves "prog", are actually "neoprog"
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2017 at 10:31
Originally posted by Darious Darious wrote:

not accepted.
This is a bad, wrong decision, based largely on prejudice ("usual in Polish bands"). Symphonic Progarchives will never be complete without Mech. I agree with Yum-Yum's and DamoXt7942's insightful assessments. They obviously are very knowledgeable on symphonic progressive rock.

It's not based in any prejudice, it's based in listening the music.

The album sounds almost like Pendragon "Masquerade Overture" era

That's Neo Prog

Originally posted by Darious Darious wrote:

Is it neo prog?
This obviously is not, but some guys, who consider themselves "prog", are actually "neoprog"

We don't consider ourselves anything, much less Prog, being that Prog is a musical genre not an adjective to describe a person.

For Example

Sounds like

Around minute 2 till the end

Atlantis Suite 

Has the same style of:

Or

Like it or not, the owners and the Administrators have chosen us to take care of Symphonic, and we have done our job fast and efficiently.

Never tell us we base our decisions on prejudice, we take our job seriously and listen all the music available before giving our opinions.

Plus, we are talking about a bad that has spent most of  their career playing Hard Rock, Heavy Prog and is included in every Metal database.

BTW: Symphonic is complete without a band that has spent almost all their career playing hard/metal/ Rock and did a single Neo Prog Album.

The prejudice is your's against Neo Prog, Pendragon (The clearest reference for Mesh) is one of my favourite bands and Masquerade Overture is among my top 10 or 20 albums. 

Few bands can only dream of playing like Marillion in the Fish era.

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - March 15 2017 at 11:09

MChPro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2017 at 11:50

It's not based in any prejudice, it's based in listening the music.

The album sounds almost like Pendragon "Masquerade Overture" era

That's Neo Prog

Pendragon's "Masquerade Overture" is 1996, Mech's "Atlantis Suite" is 1980. In 1980 there was no Neo Prog.

Edited by MChPro - March 15 2017 at 12:00
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2017 at 12:17

Pendragon's "Masquerade Overture" is 1996, Mech's "Atlantis Suite" is 1980. In 1980 there was no Neo Prog.

Are you sure?

A genre doesn't appear by art of magic in one day, it's a long process that takes decades or at least years.

Neo Prog roots go as far as A Trick of The Tail, 

If you go to our own Neo Prog page, you'll read:

NEO-PROG

A Progressive Rock Sub-genre

From Progarchives.com, the ultimate progressive rock music website

Debate over when Neo-Prog actually came into being often takes place, with some asserting it began with Marillion's Script for a Jester's Tear in 1983. Others contend it began with Twelfth Night at the dawn of the 80s, while some even suggest the popular symphonic prog band Genesis gave rise to Neo-Prog with their 1976 album, A Trick of the Tail.

If one analyses the progressive movement just before 1980, then some albums which heavily influenced the Neo-Prog movement easily come to mind: Steve Hackett - Spectral Mornings, Genesis - Wind & Wuthering, Genesis - And Then There Were Three, Genesis - Seconds Out, Saga - Saga, all the Camel albums between Breathless and The Single Factor included, and some Eloy's albums, especially Silent Cries And Mighty Echoes.

While the Neo-Progressive genre initially consisted of artists exploring a modernized version of Symphonic Prog, these days artists coined as Neo-Progressive cover a multitude of musical expressions, where the common denominator is the inclusion - within a progressive rock framework - of musical elements developed just prior to and after 1980. 

http://www.progarchives.com/subgenre.asp?style=18

I remember people saying that there's no Symphonic before "In the Court of the Crimson King", but we know that Symphonic goes as far as The Nice "Thoughts of the Emerlist Davjack"

I do believe that Neo existed not only in 1980, but already in 1978.

But the real point is.

Do those tracks sound similar?

It's undeniable.

Then we are talking about a Hard Rock band that evolved into Neo Prog.

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - March 15 2017 at 12:52

MChPro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2017 at 13:29
OK, Iván. I'm not going to argue unnecessarily. But we are talking about a Prog band that evolved into Hard Rock Wink

Edited by MChPro - March 15 2017 at 13:34
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2017 at 14:01

OK, Iván. I'm not going to argue unnecessarily. But we are talking about a Prog band that evolved into Hard Rock Wink

Honestly, I'm not here for their bio or to know when they played what.

If they played prog first or after playing hard rock and now they play Neo Prog, is not important for my evaluation.

The question is "If in any point of their career they played Symphonic?"

And the answer is that in the opinion of the team NO,

MChPro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2017 at 14:35
I'm not going to argue unnecessarily.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>