Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedProgressive Percussion Records

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Progressive Percussion Records
    Posted: March 13 2017 at 11:33
Thought I'd start a thread on Prog Percussion albums. Two immediately spring to mind; Dzyan member Peter Giger's first solo album, Family Of Percussion, released in 1975, and Association PC's member and leader Pierre Courbois's first solo album Myria Poda, released in 1975.
              Both records are astonishing in their creative depth and complex ideas interwoven in a refreshingly creative sound. More than just complex, but groundbreaking in their construction. Each one utilises a whole plethora of drums and percussion instruments from around the world.
                Below are some youtube clips from them.

presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2017 at 11:41
Here is some more of Peter Giger's percussion work, from '75 as well. Brilliant!

Edited by presdoug - March 13 2017 at 11:42
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2017 at 11:58
Great stuff!
Not sure if this particularly would qualify as progressive, but Klaus Weiss is a fascinating jazz-fusion/library music composer and percussionist, whose music is, a lot of the time, progressive. Niagara is one of his earlier projects and their self-titled debut consists of two fantastic lengthy funky percussion improvisations.

Edited by ALotOfBottle - March 13 2017 at 12:01
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2017 at 13:08
Excellent thread idea!

Gotta have this:

Also of interest, though it's a full band record not percussion-only, is Yamashta's Floating Music which has a dream team of Yamashta and the mighty Morris Pert covering the percussion waterfront. Top stuff.

Edited by Mascodagama - March 13 2017 at 13:12
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2017 at 13:19
Can't find it on Youtube, but Jon Hiseman has a whole album devoted to his drum solos called About Time Too!.

I almost bought it once, but percussion nut as I am the prospect of two 15+ minute drum solos on one record was a bit TOO daunting for me. If anyone has it I'd love to know what you think.

Edited by Mascodagama - March 13 2017 at 13:25
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2017 at 15:10
Here's a good one, a duet album between Gregg Bendian and Alex Cline:

Bendian has another excellent percussion duet album with Paul Wertico entitled Bang! - can't immediately find any clips of that one though.  Both records are well worthwhile for afficionados of the sound of things being hit.

Edited by Mascodagama - March 14 2017 at 15:27
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2017 at 08:47
Come on, we can do better than this!

How about Lino Capra Vaccina, the percussion wizard from Aktuala? His 1978 album Antico Adagio, whilst not solely made up of percussion, is a feast of gongs, bells, vibes, drums and all but the kitchen sink being hit, caressed, tickled and stroked. A magnificent album that got a great reissue a few years ago on Die Schactel with an additional album's worth of equally good material:

Vaccina is quite influenced by minimalism, but unless that is a complete turn off for you, very much worth checking out.

What I only discovered recently is that he cut an album that is essentially a spiritual successor to Antico Adagio in 2015. Don't have a video link but the album is Arcaico Armonico on small (but very high quality) Italian label Dark Companion. I've only had the 'new' record for a few days but I think if anything it is even better than its forerunner.

Edited by Mascodagama - April 17 2017 at 08:56
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2017 at 09:50
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

Can't find it on Youtube, but Jon Hiseman has a whole album devoted to his drum solos called About Time Too!.

I almost bought it once, but percussion nut as I am the prospect of two 15+ minute drum solos on one record was a bit TOO daunting for me. If anyone has it I'd love to know what you think.

I found a cheap copy and bought it. And I have to say that it's really a much more enjoyable listen than I'd expected. Have spun it a few times now, and I've got to say, Hiseman is awesome on this.  I've had and enjoyed records he drums on for 30-ish years at this point but it has given me a new appreciation of his playing. 

Story behind the record is that with the advent of cheap digital recording equipment Hiseman decided to record every gig on the 1985 German tours of The United Jazz and Rock Ensemble and Barbara Thompson's Paraphernalia, sixty dates in all. Then he went over all the recordings and picked out his favourite solos for the album.
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2017 at 10:07
Something new for the thread: Moon On The Water, an all-percussion ensemble founded by drummer, composer, organiser and all-round genius Tiziano Tononi (any project with his name on it is worth hearing). They cut three albums between 1985 and 1997 with core members Tononi, David Searcy and Jonathan Scully. On one album they were augmented by Pierre Favre and on another by some guy called Stewart Copeland. So far I've only got the album with Favre, Think With Your Ears - which is excellent.

Sample of their work:

Edited by Mascodagama - August 12 2017 at 10:08
Bandcamp Profile
rocko View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2017 at 03:54
i'm adding Curt Cress ... one of the best german drummers ever be around. He covered a lot of different styles over the years, from jazzy Passport to Falco to Saga to Tina Turner, but did some very excellent drum only stuff on his own (ok, might be some bass from time to time as well :) )

Edited by rocko - September 26 2017 at 03:55
Boojieboy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2017 at 08:18
Some of the Pierre Moerlen / Gong stuff comes to mind. Also he and his brother's tuned percussion on Mike Oldfield's Incantations. Osibisa added a percussion section to Uriah Heep's track Look at Yourself. Haven't checked out their stuff yet, but maybe.
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2017 at 04:03
This looks like a great resource for percussion-oriented recordings, with around 1,400 CDs listed:

German Percussion Music Shop

Edited by Mascodagama - September 28 2017 at 04:09
Bandcamp Profile
dauinghorn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2017 at 04:45
Not exactly Prog, but I definitely recommend Steve Reich's works for drum ensembles.
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2017 at 06:26
^^^^^Thanks, everyone, for keeping this thread alive. l like Curt Cress, and the Lino Capra, especially, and will try further with the other suggestions. Cheers!
 Post Reply Post Reply