21 [48.84%]
7 [16.28%]
12 [27.91%]
3 [6.98%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uduwudu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: U.K.
    Posted: March 19 2017 at 04:42
Not really a competition - the poll is just for fun; maybe just to discuss the guitar line up versus the one without Holdsworth. Not to mention having two of prog rocks more interesting drummers turn up.

Was this the last classic (I am very biased toward this band) prog rock band of the '70s?

Edited by uduwudu - March 19 2017 at 04:43
Flight123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flight123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2017 at 04:59
I would agree that there is an argument for UK to be the last great prog band of the 70s; particularly the first line up (much as I admire Bozzio).  There is another argument about whether the first album is the last great prog album...
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2017 at 05:17
Voted both, though I have a soft spot for the second just cuz I heard it first and at a formative moment for me as a musician.   Plus you can't beat 'Carrying No Cross'.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2017 at 05:36
Give me Danger Money and Night After Night over the debut !! Love all 3, but the Bozzio line-up blows me away every time
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2017 at 11:50
The debut album by a small margin.
Wanorak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wanorak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2017 at 20:08
Both.
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2017 at 08:56
They're both great and yes - this was the last dying gasp of traditional 70's Prog.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2017 at 10:19
UK
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2017 at 13:02
Sacrilegious perhaps, but I don't really dig UK.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2017 at 13:15
The band lost a lot of talent when Bruford and Holdsworth were shown the door. They never really recovered, making them a rather sad chapter as one of the last important bands of the '70s.

Edited by Rednight - March 20 2017 at 13:16
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Dopeydoc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dopeydoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2017 at 16:33
Guess my vote (I'm a Bruford fan...)
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2017 at 18:03
3rd vote for DM/NAN!
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2017 at 18:56
Originally posted by Dopeydoc Dopeydoc wrote:

Me too---but still feel it was the least important thing he did with his career
JediJoker7169 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JediJoker7169 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2017 at 19:16
Allan Holdsworth made the original lineup really special for me.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2017 at 07:46

Both studio albums are great but I went for the second one as the keyboard lead trio format is quiet appealing to me! The first album could perhaps have done with being a bit punchier sound wise but that's maybe my only small criticism. Oft considered the last hurrah for seventies prog. Pity they got caught by the changing scene and also a certain amount of in fighting between Wetton and Jobson. Jobson must be the most underutilised and underappreciated musician in prog. A brilliant keyboard and violinist. The stuff he did with Curved Air was also brilliant but was else is there apart from a few solo outings and being a fringe member of Roxy?

someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2017 at 07:56
I like both, but Danger Money is a long time favourite, so the Bozzio line-up gets the edge.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2017 at 08:01
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

Originally posted by Dopeydoc Dopeydoc wrote:

Me too---but still feel it was the least important thing he did with his career
There are those who would say it was the last important thing he did with his career.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2018 at 21:15
U.K.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2018 at 23:14
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

Sacrilegious perhaps, but I don't really dig UK.

Neither do I. The melodies just don't give me much to enjoy.
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2018 at 00:16
U.K.
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>