Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Tech Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat't your setup?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: What't your setup?
    Posted: March 20 2017 at 19:08
I pretty much exclusively use Audacity to record, mix and master. When I feel like recording MIDI (rarely) I use LMMS. I briefly tried Ardour but saw no benefit over Audacity. What software do you use to produce your music?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2017 at 01:01
Reason and Samplitude mostly. 
What?
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2017 at 06:57
I've been playing with Audacity a little bit as a noise removal tool for audio files.  Looks cool although I've never used it for music. 

Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2017 at 07:08
I'm currently using Reaper, I think it's way more reliable and practical than Audacity
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2017 at 09:08
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

I've been playing with Audacity a little bit as a noise removal tool for audio files.  Looks cool although I've never used it for music. 
yeah, I use to use it for cleaning up wav files - but found it a little too clunky for mixing. 'twas a long time ago though so maybe it's evolved a bit since then.
What?
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2017 at 09:39
^ It is clunky.  Do you know of a cleaner tool for fixing up spoken word files, to enhance clarity?  I'm doing some transcription work, and we get some pretty bad recordings...speeches, focus groups, lots of background and bad mics.  If you know of a free, simpler program than Audacity let me know. 

The transcription software (express scribe) has its own noise removal, which is helpful, but probably not optimal. 

Edited by Finnforest - March 22 2017 at 20:07

HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2017 at 15:15
I use a 4 track looper, the Electro-Harmonix 45000 for recording and overdubbing. For post recording fix up, I use either the 45000 itself or a computer program, Praat or Audacity. Praat is made for phoneticians not musicians, but I got it off a free download and it is something I'm familiar with. I'm not saying this is the best set up, just that it's mine.
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2017 at 15:28
I used to record, (and attempt to) mix and master on a Boss BR-864.
To burn the CD I used Nero 7 Ultra Edition.
I recorded about twenty songs but haven't done anything lately.
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2017 at 16:23
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

yeah, I use to use it for cleaning up wav files - but found it a little too clunky for mixing. 'twas a long time ago though so maybe it's evolved a bit since then.

I suppose it's clunky if you need to be very precise or have many tracks to mix. It works for me because I usually just semi-randomly/intuitively cut and paste, try out different effects, mix and repeat. I tried learning a proper DAW (Ardour) once, but it was too complex for what I do, the GUI kept getting in my way and there were too many key bindings to memorize (and this is coming from someone who uses Emacs).
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2017 at 01:24
I record and mix almost everything on my beloved Tascam 424 MKII tape recorder. Incredible machine, couldn't be happier with it. I use Audacity to get the stuff as wav files.
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2017 at 03:23
Originally posted by Vompatti Vompatti wrote:

I suppose it's clunky if you need to be very precise or have many tracks to mix. It works for me because I usually just semi-randomly/intuitively cut and paste, try out different effects, mix and repeat. I tried learning a proper DAW (Ardour) once, but it was too complex for what I do, the GUI kept getting in my way and there were too many key bindings to memorize (and this is coming from someone who uses Emacs).
Yeah, I was relating on FB yesterday how I'd used over a dozen tracks just for the double-tracked lead and harmony vocals on one song on The Failing Light by Season's End, add to that four separate tracks for drums and a multitude of tracks for layered guitar, bass, keyboards and cello and it all starts to get very complicated real quick. Precision there was vital so that would have been a challenge in Audacity. I use two 22" monitors to display the GUI on the software I use so I can separate the component parts and keep them visible at all times.
What?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2017 at 03:34
Originally posted by ALotOfBottle ALotOfBottle wrote:

I record and mix almost everything on my beloved Tascam 424 MKII tape recorder. Incredible machine, couldn't be happier with it. I use Audacity to get the stuff as wav files.
Wow - I doft my cap to your skills Tymon - mixing and track bouncing on a 424 is an achievement and a half!

I have a Tascam 788:
but only use it as a multi-track recorder, using several mic's to record a single instrument (or vocal) that then get transferred to the PC for mixing into the song. That way I can get direct, reflected and ambient tracks of each take that when mixed together produce a more "organic" recording. I'd never dream of trying to mix a whole song with it. LOL
What?
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2017 at 05:06

Originally posted by ALotOfBottle ALotOfBottle wrote:

Wow - I doft my cap to your skills Tymon - mixing and track bouncing on a 424 is an achievement and a half!

I have a Tascam 788:
but only use it as a multi-track recorder, using several mic's to record a single instrument (or vocal) that then get transferred to the PC for mixing into the song. That way I can get direct, reflected and ambient tracks of each take that when mixed together produce a more "organic" recording. I'd never dream of trying to mix a whole song with it. LOL

Well, I guess it comes down to what you are doing musically and how you like to work. It will be a few months now since I bought my Tascam and during that time I have been mainly recording this sort of kraut-esque psychedelia with a friend of minie as well as my own minimal electronic stuff. And, for these things, working with the 4-track is just miles more enjoyable and rewarding for me than using a DAW.

I haven't done all that much bouncing yet, but it's not that bad - just takes a lot of time, like any action in the recording process on a 4-track. Mixing is really fun, the mixer is really responsive.

And that's an interesting use you've found for your Tascam there! Smile I'll try doing that sometime. I've seen a guy record 4-voice choir parts to the Tascam, playing around with the effects and eq and then sending the four tracks to the computer.

That being said, I definitely understand the convenience of working on a computer compared to a 4-track, but I just love recording and mixing on my Tascam. I don't know exactly how to put it into words, but the process has a unique old-fashioned charm to it. And it sounds amazing. I really like the warm sound of a good High Bias Type II cassette tape. A loud befriended stoner rock band asked me to record them with my Tascam next week and I'm interested to hear how it sounds. Smile

Edited by ALotOfBottle - March 25 2017 at 05:07
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2018 at 06:25
I've been using the Making Waves sequencer since 1999. It's last update was for Windows 7, but the guy who created it is dead and it won't work in Windows 10. So I might move to Ardour or LMMS in the future whenever I decide I need a new PC. I might be the only person left on the planet that uses this "old school" sequencer. 

Other software I use: GoldWave, Audacity, Minimogue, Native Instruments Guitar Rig, scattered VST plugins

Software I haven't used in ages (some of it probably doesn't work anymore): Cakewalk Guitar Tracks, Cakewalk Home Studio, VAZ Modular, Miriam Vocaloid, and probably some other VST plugins that were replaced by better ones.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2018 at 10:24
Audacity is a sound editing programme.
Reaper is a DAW.

ProfPanglos View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2018 at 21:30
I use Ableton Live 9 on the computer side, and a Scarlett Focusrite 2i2 to interface (as needed) with a couple of workstation synths (Ensoniq VFXSD and Roland FA06), an acoustic guitar (Gibson J40), a fretless bass (Cort Artisan B4FL), a trumpet (Conn Connstellation), and a Shure mic.
 Post Reply Post Reply