Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMagick/Occultism/Esotericism

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2017 at 11:11
Aleister Crowley had a predatory personality, and was known to swindle the fortunes from out of the hands of elderly rich women. He had a manipulative, and magnetic personality, and knew how to draw people into his world very easily.

Edited by presdoug - March 25 2017 at 11:18
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2017 at 11:13
What do elderly women need money for?
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2017 at 11:20
Good question, but still, it doesn't excuse Crowley.
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2017 at 11:38
A lot of brilliant writers are not nice people.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2017 at 11:52
A lot of not nice people aren't brilliant writers. Crowley falls into that category 
What?
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2017 at 11:59
Deathspell Omega. 'nuff said !
Expect them to.........deliver
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2017 at 12:09
He's a bad poet but his philosophical/theoretical writings are generally fun to read. He has sort of the same trickster-like quality as Castaneda or Gurdjieff, both of whom I unironically love in an erotic way.
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2017 at 12:07
Crowley and Hubbard
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
2dogs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2017 at 23:55
I like the art in Crowley's Tarot deck although use it in conjunction with a couple of other non-Tarot decks I find easier to understand. They often come up with very interesting ideas but I don't let them override my own decision making. Crowley's deck and book are clearly based on a massive amount of study and knowledge but all that occult philosophical stuff is far too complicated for me, I'm more influenced by a couple of basic scientific truths the Buddha pointed out plus appreciation of the evolving creativity and variety of the universe.
"There is nothing new except what has been forgotten" - Marie Antoinette
Thatfabulousalien View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2017 at 00:21
Crowley a bad writer? alright, you can come off your high horse LOL
Classical music isn't dead, it's more alive than it's ever been. It's just not on MTV.

https://www.soundcloud.com/user-322914325
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2017 at 01:16
Originally posted by Thatfabulousalien Thatfabulousalien wrote:

Crowley a bad writer? alright, you can come off your high horse LOL
Admittedly it was Vomps that called Crowley a "Bad Poet" while I merely contradicted his implication that Crowley was "a brilliant writer" so technically neither Vomps nor I uttered the phrase "bad writer" so it's difficult to determine who of us needs to dismount from the towering nervous equine that currently bears us. For myself, I quite like it up here, I can see further. Like I can see that there is a world of difference between a bad writer and someone who is not a brilliant writer, a writer can be one or the other, or neither (or if you are William McGonagall, both). Of course understanding the subtleties and nuances of the English language is a prerequisite for anyone volunteering to make a literary assessment of the quality of a writer and their work.
What?
Thatfabulousalien View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2017 at 02:19
^^

Well from my perspective, his writing is very evocative of images and emotions and highly intriguing. 
From an academic perspective, I find it to be a very complex maze of clever interconnected references. 

As I've initially stated and mentioned on multiple forums, I'm an atheist but I do see something very 'je ne sais quoi' in it, there is a large depth to his work but it also depends the context and perspective.

I for one think the whole tarot idea is laughable if taken literally, I don't do rituals. But Sex Magick is actually a powerful idea rooted in psychology and similar initial concepts can be found in other cultures.

But to get back to point, I think he is a brilliant writer and I find his work inspirational and very thought-provoking.

From a religious perspective, whatever is in question; I make my own path, my own philosophy defined by my own experiences. I agree about the "imaginary friend" analogy you mentioned earlier though, "religion" is incredibly bizarre when it comes to that LOL
Classical music isn't dead, it's more alive than it's ever been. It's just not on MTV.

https://www.soundcloud.com/user-322914325
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2017 at 03:29
Isn't tarot rooted in psychology as well since it maps to the tree of life?
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2017 at 09:36
I don't believe in good or bad or middle gods. But I love to have satanist symbols just to piss off Christians. 
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2017 at 10:00
Gods are a convenient way to represent certain aspects of the mind or the collective consciousness k
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2017 at 13:12
I don't know about the occult but this damn web site keeps rejecting my attempts at posting saying some stupid crap about security checks...?

Confused

Edited by dr wu23 - March 27 2017 at 13:14
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2017 at 13:14
I remember reading a  lot about the occult back in the late 70's and into the 80's....I recall Crowley material, Regardie, Gurdjieff, etc...and of course reading The Occult by Wilson... a great summary of the occult through the ages.

Edited by dr wu23 - March 27 2017 at 13:23
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
2dogs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2017 at 23:11
Originally posted by Vompatti Vompatti wrote:

Isn't tarot rooted in psychology as well since it maps to the tree of life?

Yes, Crowley included Hebrew letters on the cards to match them up and diagrams in The Book of Thoth. Using a limited number of cards to represent everything in the universe though does make for some very complex symbols as with using the twelve Zodiac signs to represent human personalities (these also match up with cards, as do the planets and elements).
"There is nothing new except what has been forgotten" - Marie Antoinette
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2017 at 07:26
Remove the pretension, self-delusion and all-out bollocks and all that remains is an orchestrated confidence trick of smoke and mirrors. In spite of everyone knowing the old adage that "there's a sucker born every minute" the enduring draw of any con is in the showmanship with which it is presented, of which being able to craft a well-written believable patter is merely a tool of the trade that preys on doubts and uncertainties of the subject. For even when the mark knows it is a scam the trick is to make them believe the suckers are the other guys, the ones who aren't as smart as them. No one is too smart to be conned. The scammers spiel is constructed to convince the target that they're not a sucker, that they are smarter than everyone else, including the trickster himself. So their self-belief is skillfully manipulated and their ego is bolstered and flattered into thinking they can beat the con, or at least not be suckered into it; the art of the confidence trick lays in word "confidence", the trickster draws the audience into their confidence while inflating the sense of self-confidence of those who gather round. Everyone knows they are selling snake-oil but what if the snake-oil is as good as they say it is?...

As a child in the 1960s I grew up in a seaside resort town on the east coast of England and in the summer holidays I would cycle down to the seafront to walk among the holiday-makers, watching them feed coins into the slot-machines in the penny arcades along the esplanade (while my hard-earned 2/- a week pocket money remained secure in my pocket) and listening to the calls of the roustabouts on the fairground rides that rang-out over the cacophony of pipe-organ music and blaring top-20 pop tunes blasting out from each pitch. But my favourite of all these attractions were the mock auctions, cornucopias of seemingly high-value goods offered at knock-down prices that drew crowds of people as the "auctioneer" barked out descending values of money for each item held aloft by his assistants until the sea of raised hands waving folded £1 and £5 notes in the air halted the "auction". Where upon those proffered notes would be plucked from willing hands in exchange for plain white boxes in opaque plastic carrier bags that contained perhaps not an exact duplicate of the item being sold, but its close approximation. Not then the prestigious goods sold in upmarket West End stores as promised, but the low quality knock-offs hawked in any street market. As an eight year old, this fascinated me for even at that age I could see this was a con so presumed that all those who waited patiently to snaffle the bargains the "auctioneer" was selling also saw through the subterfuge and knew that these were mock auctions. Yet still they waved their paper money in the air at the prescribed moment his litany of decreasing prices reached the selling price he always intended. I would stand and watch them for hours, then return on another day and watch the show all over again, because that is what it was, a show, carefully scripted and played; over time I noticed that some of the audience were there every day, yet their waved notes where never taken and goods were never exchanged for they too were actors in the show and the "auctioneer" was the star.

The writings of Ted Crowely and Howard Levey et al are the pitch of the fairground huckster, dressed up as philosophy and religion, and shrouded in believable truths and heavily disguised invention. Their words, like all snares, are a trap baited and primed, waiting to be sprung: seeded with tempting morsels that are rooted in truths and received wisdom; extrapolated to plausible half-truths that promise to reveal untold secrets and deeper, hidden truths once the bait is taken. Any dialog that promises something that cannot otherwise be attained is a scripted confidence trick written to ensnare the intended victim. Crowley and Levey were the stars of the show, but it was a show nevertheless, hence their adoption of stage-names to heighten the mystique of their crafty art and the carefully staged publicity photographs. This is the mechanism by which all religions and philosophies work, whether by benign [innocent] intent or malignant [dishonest] design, for even those exponents who proselytise those ideologies as honest belief that they hold to be true are using the same techniques and employing the same psychological hooks, even when they don't know they are or care not to admit it. Even those cut-back, pared-down fundamentalists who dispense with regal dress-me-up of staged ritual and gilded iconography are presenting an "off Broadway" production to engage the congregation...

Tarot reading is another play of this disguised confidence trickery, though differs from other forms of divination because anyone can learn to read the cards themselves. However the interpretation of the lay of the cards follows rules that have to be learnt and applied, and the reading itself bears all the hallmarks of a scripted show, with all the theatre and stage-props that would grace any Amdram production. The rules of the major arcana are the trick, not their interpretation, which is why Ted Crowely adapted those to his own design, bending them to suit his contrived philosophy. All forms of divination uses the technique of cold-reading, where the reader gleans information from the sitter that is used to enforce the belief that what will be revealed will be true. Newspaper horoscopes use a passive form of cold-reading that makes use of vague generalisations that the reader interprets as they will, those who believe will always find a modicum of truth in what they read because of this. Of course in tarot there is little need for cold-reading of the sitter if they interpret the cards themselves, and that's where the psychology comes into effect, tarot is not rooted in psychology but employs it in every turn of the cards and in the theatre of its staging.

What?
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2017 at 08:27
Nobody knew healthcare could be so complicated. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>