Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Welcome newbies!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNot your typical Progressive Rock Fan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Not your typical Progressive Rock Fan
    Posted: March 26 2017 at 16:31
Hey I'm Jade and I'm 14 and in the 9th grade and live in Virginia. Most people think I would be listening to sh*t(I hope I can say that) like Ariana Grande, Selena Gomez, or Demi Lovato but I can't stand that stuff. I grew up with the coolest Mom in the world who loves Rock from the 60's, 70, and 80's and she was born in 1970. So she introduced me to some of this. The stuff I like the most is Jethro Tull, Yes, Rush, The Moody Blues, Pink Floyd, and Kansas. I guess one big reason I am here is to learn from those who really know the ins and out of this music scene and learn about other awesome bands. I hope that is O.K. and being so young won't be a drag to everyone. I really can be cool, I promise. :) Other things I like are hanging with my friends, watching Capitals Hockey, Shopping, and just being a kid.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2017 at 16:35
no that for sure you are not hahah

welcome to the site.. from a fellow Virginian... and fellow Caps FANATIC!!

sounds like your mom is pretty cool. Enjoy the site
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Hunting Girl View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2017 at 16:45
Thanx bunches.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2017 at 16:48
the crew here can be a bit rough around the edges, none more than myself I suppose, but it is a good hearted crew here with their hearts in the right places.. even if sometimes their ears and tastes fail them.

You'll find out all you could ever want to know abou this music and more.. really good site for learning, discovering and simply shooting the bull

Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2017 at 16:57
Welcome, young lady, and enjoy yourself around ... plenty of music to discover (good taste, btw)
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2017 at 16:58
That is so great. I just feel like I am touching the surface with it and most of my friends and others don't get it that the stuff they are listening to is pure sh*t. 
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2017 at 16:59
Thanx bunches. 
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2017 at 17:12
Ok...  time to get serious here

I suppose it needs to be asked.... Floyd fan huh...

Waters or Gilmour

Tull fan huh... ok....  I suppose it needs to be asked...

favorite Tull era..  pre-Aqualung or post...
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2017 at 17:26
Pink Floyd answer is tough because I like stuff from the both of them and they both contributed so much to the group throughout. I also feel Syd Barrett in the early days was key and there stuff back then was so unique and far out. Dark Side Of The Moon and The Wall though were masterpieces for sure.

Jethro Tull answer. Since Songs from the Wood is my favorite Jethro Tull album I would have to say post Aqualung. I also like Thick As A Brick a lot as well. I really wish I could have seen him perform live though because from what I have seen on Youtube he looks likes he puts on a great show.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2017 at 17:29
I do fall into the Roger camp.. and most certainly (to put it mildly) am not a fan of the albums post Roger

Tull... oohhh...  I'll leave you to my wife.  She is much more into that era of Tull than I am. One of the few things (along with her Rush fetish) that we disagree strongly on musically. I absolutely love the first 4 albums.. the rest do very little for me.
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2017 at 17:41
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

I do fall into the Roger camp.. and most certainly (to put it mildly) am not a fan of the albums post Roger

Tull... oohhh...  I'll leave you to my wife.  She is much more into that era of Tull than I am. One of the few things (along with her Rush fetish) that we disagree strongly on musically. I absolutely love the first 4 albums.. the rest do very little for me.
I just feel like The Songs from the Wood album has that Renassaince Festival feel to it and I love going to that festival so that is why I love that album so much. 

I also love Rush and they have so much good stuff from the beginning throughout there career.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2017 at 17:46
speaking of..  check this out..  from the Hot Micky top 20 alltime prog favorites...

you want Renaissance feel.. ummmm... none better than Renaissance

Thatfabulousalien View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2017 at 17:50
I do sense a bit of teen angst towards pop music but that's ok, we've all been there.

It's great that you have a starting point as a listener that may make you more open to a wider range of music. 
A couple of questions:

Have you heard/do you like early Pink Floyd? (as you mentioned them)
You mentioned Yes and Rush, do you like the complex or the "epic" aspect to their music?

The forum has many years of devoted experience, I myself am a connoisseur in the avantgarde. We're all here to help eachother discover new things and often just have a laugh. 

Welcome to the forum Beer
Classical music isn't dead, it's more alive than it's ever been. It's just not on MTV.

https://www.soundcloud.com/user-322914325
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2017 at 18:04

speaking of..  check this out..  from the Hot Micky top 20 alltime prog favorites...

I will definitely give that a listen. I also like the group Fairport Convention because of the same reason, but did not list them because I don't think they are Progressive Rock and are more Folk Rock but I still really like them. Pentangle and Steeleye Span are another two groups that fit that mold.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2017 at 18:16
oh I love me some Pentagle... let me know what you think of that. we do have a small ..but very passionate Renaissance fanclub here.. I'm sure they would love a new member!
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2017 at 18:19
Originally posted by Thatfabulousalien Thatfabulousalien wrote:

I do sense a bit of teen angst towards pop music but that's ok, we've all been there.

It's great that you have a starting point as a listener that may make you more open to a wider range of music. 
A couple of questions:

Have you heard/do you like early Pink Floyd? (as you mentioned them)
You mentioned Yes and Rush, do you like the complex or the "epic" aspect to their music?

The forum has many years of devoted experience, I myself am a connoisseur in the avantgarde. We're all here to help eachother discover new things and often just have a laugh. 

Welcome to the forum Beer
I guess I pretty much tolerate pop music because that is pretty much all I here all over school and from my friends. The music I really despise the most is Hip Hop and Rap. 

Syd Barrett vocals Pink Floyd on songs such as "See Emily Play" and "Arnold Layne" which is probably my favorite of the early Pink Floyd songs. 

Rush to me has some of the most intense musical rythems and that can be seen on songs that are rocking like "Spirit Of The Radio" or a more toned down song like "Trees" which I think is a fantastic song.

Yes to me has some of the best musicians in there band ever. The voice of Jon Anderson in my opinion really can't be matched in this sort of music. He is amazing. The late Chris Squire and his Bass beats just were amazing and he also harmonized well with Anderson. Both Keyboard players in Rick Wakeman and Tony Kaye are legends as are both drummers Bill Buford and Alan White. Now although these two guitarists have two different styles in my opinion they are both legends Trevor Rabin held this band together with great guitar work in the late 80's and 90's and the one and only Steve Howe is just plain and simple a master of the guitar.

I am here to learn so everyone bring it on.
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2017 at 18:35

I just listened and OMG. The music actually made me feel like I was at the Fair. It was brilliant with many instrumental sounds throughout. In the beginning of the song the piano playing was out of this world and I wish I could play like that. Then the Female Beautiful Vocals came in. Her voice was just perfect for that sound. The song was brilliant and I loved it. Thanx so much for sharing it. Do they have other stuff I could check out on Youtube? Where are they from?
andreol263 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2017 at 18:40
Have you already tried some more experimental music? it's in there that the art really shines
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2017 at 18:44
lmao. My initual reaction exactly. I thought you might really dig that...  it blows me away every time I listen to it.

I have my favorites.. but I don't like stealing others thunder... here...  talk to Madan and Ken. Absolute sweethearts and co-Presidents of the Renaissance fanclub. they'll stear you right.

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=105220
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2017 at 18:48
Henry Cow is clearly your next step
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>