Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDo you shuffle your prog playlist?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Do you shuffle your prog playlist?
    Posted: April 26 2017 at 06:39
'Do you shuffle your prog-playlist?'
Heh... just something very peculiar about the sentence that tickles my funny bone
Prog playlists eh? They don't really exist in my world. Playlists usually contain prog but also everything else under the sun. Stickers don't really matter in real life other than in conversations about music where they help explain other folks in the know about albums and bands they haven't heard before.
My friends and I often make playlists at get-togethers - often influenced by beers and the odd joint - and I have never seen one that didn't mix it up. Nahh strike that - some times I've seen all electronic playlists. It's when a small get-together suddenly develops into a huge party with people dancing in the cupboards.

Anyway I have decided to give the shuffle thing a go...but I am not doing a prog-playlist dammit Nahh think I'll shuffle the old iPod instead. 1102 songs to chose from.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
GrumpyOldMan View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2017 at 06:09
Depending on my mood, I'll shuffle or play straight through. Usually straight through as I grew up with vinyl and cassette tapes. 

I found this interesting tidbit on page 6 of my Sgt. Pepper's CD liner notes.
Quote ... the line-up on side one, as first conceived, was different to how it finally evolved, and was as follows: 'Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band'; 'With a Little Help From My Friends'; 'Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite!'; 'Fixing A Hole'; Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds'; 'Getting Better'; 'She's Leaving Home'.

By suitably programming your compact disk hardware you'll be able to hear the album as it was originally intended.
 Emphasis mine.
A_Flower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2017 at 08:05
I shuffle. With 1,762 songs on my ipod, I want to be able to listen to most of these. I often feel I am overwhelmed by so many songs, that it makes more sense to choose at random than to choose myself most of the time. I do not shuffle a whole album though. That must be listened to in a specific order. It's also more interesting to have a higher spectrum of prog, going from Yes to Porcupine Tree to Pink Floyd to Kansas etc.

Also, you mentioned in the first post that King Crimson are not on ITunes. They are now! See for yourself!
User Banned for this Post
Mystic Mamba View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2017 at 22:21
When I'm just casually listening to my mp3 player throughout the day, I tend to just put everything on shuffle and go about my business. However, if I really want to focus in on what I'm listening to, I prefer to play the songs in their intended order. It all depends on the setting.
paganinio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2017 at 01:43
Originally posted by gr8dane gr8dane wrote:

I am curious ,how the folks ,who insists on the whole album at a time play,do under certain situations.
What you do under different circumstances .

1.-What happens if you fall asleep during the album.? Do you have to start the album  all over ? Look for the place where you think you might have drifted off  ? Or do you finish the album ,and then look for the place where you think you drifted off.?

2.- Are you allowed to read while you listen to the album,or does that ruin/interfere with the whole album experience ?

3.- If you have a friend coming over,and they request a certain song.Do you make them listen to the songs that comes before and then the ones that come after also. ?

4.- If an artist make an album,song sequence not to be interfered with.How come they never used to play the whole album from start to finish at concerts.?

I may have more questions later,but i guess I gotta start somewhere.Thanks

A more burning question is simply,

What happens when you only have time to listen to three songs?

When I have as few as four minutes of free time, I can listen to one song and get enjoyment out of it. It can be any song in the middle / at the end of an album, such as Agalloch A Desolation Song. Do I not know A Desolation Song is more appropriate when it's preceded by the songs that come before it? I do. But a good song also needs to be good on its own, not part of a bigger work.

Still, the discussion won't be really necessary since most people merely "prefer" to listen to a full album at a time. If they fall asleep during Providence I guess they simply start from Starless the next day.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2017 at 10:57
They don't make any sense in the right order, anyway.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2017 at 10:55
Originally posted by uduwudu uduwudu wrote:

Imagine listening to A Passion Play, TAAB and Tales in the wrong order. Or Lamb? MDK.

They just would not make any sense at all...

Sounds fun!!
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2017 at 09:51
Play them in reverse order to listen to sll those satanic messages
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
gr8dane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2017 at 09:49
I am curious ,how the folks ,who insists on the whole album at a time play,do under certain situations.
What you do under different circumstances .

1.-What happens if you fall asleep during the album.? Do you have to start the album  all over ? Look for the place where you think you might have drifted off  ? Or do you finish the album ,and then look for the place where you think you drifted off.?

2.- Are you allowed to read while you listen to the album,or does that ruin/interfere with the whole album experience ?

3.- If you have a friend coming over,and they request a certain song.Do you make them listen to the songs that comes before and then the ones that come after also. ?

4.- If an artist make an album,song sequence not to be interfered with.How come they never used to play the whole album from start to finish at concerts.?

I may have more questions later,but i guess I gotta start somewhere.Thanks
Shake & bake.
HemispheresOfXanadu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2017 at 09:42
Originally posted by uduwudu uduwudu wrote:

Imagine listening to A Passion Play, TAAB and Tales in the wrong order. Or Lamb? MDK.

Therefore they'd not be iin your playlist.
@ProgFollower on Twitter. Tweet me muzak.
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2017 at 00:52

Edited by uduwudu - April 07 2017 at 00:53
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2017 at 19:15
^Don't know if it's a minority. Just sometimes being on the less militant side makes it seem that way.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2017 at 08:18
Originally posted by TheGazzardian TheGazzardian wrote:

I dDefinitely shuffle when I'm in the mood for it, and I mix my prog with classical, metal, hip hop, country, folk, and pop in the same playlist.

Used to be against this but really all that actually matters is that you enjoy the music in the moment you are listening to it. And besides, hearing the same song in the same context all the time gets boring. Hearing some Leprous followed by some Sia followed by some Philip Glass followed by some Sturgill Simpson gives each song greater contrast, and may make them sound better than they might have surrounded by more similar sounding songs. In this sense, it can be easier to listen for details because they sound 'fresher' compared to if you were listening to only one thing.

I feel like I might be on my own in this one...

I'm right there with you, we are clearly in the minority.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2017 at 08:12
Originally posted by TheGazzardian TheGazzardian wrote:

I dDefinitely shuffle when I'm in the mood for it, and I mix my prog with classical, metal, hip hop, country, folk, and pop in the same playlist.

Used to be against this but really all that actually matters is that you enjoy the music in the moment you are listening to it. And besides, hearing the same song in the same context all the time gets boring. Hearing some Leprous followed by some Sia followed by some Philip Glass followed by some Sturgill Simpson gives each song greater contrast, and may make them sound better than they might have surrounded by more similar sounding songs. In this sense, it can be easier to listen for details because they sound 'fresher' compared to if you were listening to only one thing.

Completely agree. Your post perfectly captures one of the biggest reasons why I enjoy shuffling my music every now and again. Thumbs Up
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
TheGazzardian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2017 at 03:06

Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2017 at 18:22
Probably.
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2017 at 17:47
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

No, never, and I don't skip tracks either. No one ever says that a greatest-hits album or a various artists compilation is better than an original studio album and there is a very good reason why. On a well produced album track order is not random, it's carefully chosen by the artist and their producer to create a unified whole that is more than just a collection of songs. Shuffle is second only to "gaps between tracks" as the reason I dislike listening to music on media-players of any kind.

Clap

I fully agree. No shuffling and no skipping! Shuffle off, shufflers!

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2017 at 16:14
Originally posted by gr8dane gr8dane wrote:

....I also delete songs from albums I don't like.
Why waste time on songs I don't like,when there is not enough time to hear all the ones I like

Because it's not unusual to hear a song in a different context/sequence that may have been unappealing before suddenly have some nuance that was not recognized within the context of the album. Happens to me frequently when shuffling with headphones while mowing the lawn or something.

Edited by Tapfret - April 05 2017 at 16:15
EGallager View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2017 at 16:00
Typically I'll go for full albums, I like to search my library until something sticks out at me. Most of the albums in my library are best listened to this way. However, if I don't know what mood I'm in I hit shuffle all. I enjoy doing this for two reasons really:

1. I may hear something that triggers my current mood, then I know exactly what album to go for
2. Something awesome I haven't heard in a while may pop up, then I'll go back to that album/artist for a bit

Sometimes neither of the above happens and I just get a sweet list of great songs with an occasional skip in there.
gr8dane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2017 at 09:09
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I never shuffle anything other than cards (poorly).

How about the 5 knuckle shuffle.Tongue
Shake & bake.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>