Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDo you shuffle your prog playlist?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Do you shuffle your prog playlist?
    Posted: March 29 2017 at 03:41
Years ago I always listened to tracks in their intended order, so for example Queensryche - Breaking the Silence is always followed by I Don't Believe in Love.

Now I still don't believe in love, but I no longer strictly listen to tracks in order. Nowadays the common thing to do is shuffle all tracks and just listen to whatever the iPhone chooses.

I also discovered that iTunes will keep playing tracks in the same genre as long as you do not skip a track. It once played 15 or so metal songs in a row, although the playlist had other genres.

The shuffle button keeps things fresh and unexpected -- an important quality for prog listening. But the down side is,
1, Obscure bands/releases and King Crimson cannot be added to that playlist. Many prog artists don't necessarily release music on digital stores such as iTunes.

2, Prog is generally better experienced as an album format, not individual songs.

So, Individual Thought Patterns, or good old one album in one sitting?
beeebon View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2017 at 03:53
I have always felt quite strongly that an album should be listened to in it's intended running order, this is especially the case with prog. Of course, to each their own and I have friends who love listening to stuff on shuffle it is just not for me.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2017 at 04:00
No, never, and I don't skip tracks either. No one ever says that a greatest-hits album or a various artists compilation is better than an original studio album and there is a very good reason why. On a well produced album track order is not random, it's carefully chosen by the artist and their producer to create a unified whole that is more than just a collection of songs. Shuffle is second only to "gaps between tracks" as the reason I dislike listening to music on media-players of any kind.

What?
Thatfabulousalien View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2017 at 04:18
With prog rock/metal and so-called "popular" genres, I 99% of the time listen to albums in their entirety because I'm sort of ocd about that. When I'm really feeling something for a particular song, I'll probably put that on (happens with Devin Townsend all the time) but I'm generally always albums.

With classical music and "eastern" music, I quite often shuffle the pieces in playlists, not by movements of course (when there are) but piece. Classical music is different though because it's not one ensemble/group recording everything. Every CD you have of a composer could be a different conductor and/or orchestra/ensemble, so yeah. I usually jump between disks with that, but not prog rock 
Classical music isn't dead, it's more alive than it's ever been. It's just not on MTV.

https://www.soundcloud.com/user-322914325
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2017 at 04:19
Not quite shuffling, but I will play some tracks at the end of CD's prior to the earlier ones if they seem to "flow" better musically, but that's rare.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2017 at 05:01
Depends on my mood.
Most of the time it's full bore through an album, without skips.
Other times, like some brutal commutes, shuffle does the trick.
Welcome to the middle of the film.
Rosscoe View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2017 at 05:17
I love to shuffle!

I put all my prog albums on a prog playlist, and then shuffle it!  But let me clarify that when I get a new album (I only stream music to identify stuff I want to buy) I listen to it all in order, and I will do that again at various points in the future when I feel like it.

But most of the time I shuffle and let my phone choose for me.  I have a playlist of prog favourites as well just in case I need to guarantee something excellent.

I find this approach helps me to re-listen to something I didn't particularly engage with first time around, and  I enjoy the variety - I can sometimes get bored with the same artist for an hour, even if I like the album.

Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2017 at 06:06
I only use vinyl, so I listen to complete albums in the correct running order - which is what the artists who recorded them intended.

Edited by Hercules - March 29 2017 at 06:06
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
fourrobert13 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2017 at 06:25
I don't shuffle.  I listen to entire albums and no skipping songs.  Seems wrong to do it any other way.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2017 at 06:33
I think shuffling is mostly a young persons thing, or the preserve of people who don't really take music that seriously. It works better with 'disposable music' like Ed Sheeran or Adele.

Christ I'm a f***ing snob.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Kepler62 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2017 at 06:51
I listen to music mostly on vinyl. I like holding the album cover in my lap and watching the record spin around. The advent of all this technology has reduced attention spans. I don't think the younger generations appreciate music as much. Back in the seventies we had to search in record stores for albums. I've even searched for years for certain albums. When you finally find that Jewel you've been hunting for you savour it. I don't even have an i pod or any of that crap. Sometimes I'll reach into my album collection just to see what I have grabbed and throw it on. I've got sh*t in there that I don't even know I have. 
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2017 at 06:53
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

I think shuffling is mostly a young persons thing, or the preserve of people who don't really take music that seriously. It works better with 'disposable music' like Ed Sheeran or Adele.

LOL
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2017 at 07:08
Despite growing up with MP3 players, I always preferred listening to full albums. I only shuffle when I don't have enough time to listen to one and it's never as satisfying.

Edited by Meltdowner - March 29 2017 at 07:09
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2017 at 07:33

Join the club, my friend.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Kepler62 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2017 at 07:43
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

Join the club, my friend.

I'm part of this club too!
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2017 at 07:57
Hi,

Nope!

I don't do tracks. I do "music" and tend to listen to an artist for the full album, and appreciate its artistry.

I, somehow, do not see me listening to 3.4 minutes of Beethoven's 9th ... and then hear progressivos say how much in there is "filler"! 
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2017 at 08:18
I also stick to the order the album has been issued. My preference has always been to listen to a whole album, not to individual songs.
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2017 at 08:56
I'll often put it on shuffle by albums, so the track order is preserved but I'll have no idea what album is coming up next. 
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
KingCrInuYasha View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2017 at 09:01
Depends. If the tracks are loosely connected, I will shuffle. If I'm dealing with something like, say, Dark Side Of The Moon, then I'll most likely listen to the whole thing.
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2017 at 09:01
I cue my stylus on the outer edge of the record......I shuffle back to my couch, repeat in about 25-27 minutes....shuffle back to my couch.

Does that count?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>