Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDo you shuffle your prog playlist?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2017 at 22:20
It depends on what I want to listen to. And where I am. When I'm in my house, I usually put whole CD's... and usually new ones I have got... actually, I got to stop buying new albums so I have time to listen to my favourites more often (and I don't think I even buy so many new albums). While in my car, I put my IPod, and there I have my lists with my favourite songs from each artist I like, or lists by genres, or decades, etc. so depending on my mood I put those lists either in the order I made them (usually chronologicaly), or in random (it depeneds on how long the list is and if I expect I want to listen to the whole list or not). Of course, I can also shuffle everything on my IPod too, and that one is very good when I can't make up my mind what I want to listen to.
Replayer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2017 at 23:26
I almost always listen to albums from start to finish. For hard rock bands, I'll often create my own "best of" playlists, sometimes devoted to a single band, sometimes combining several.
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2017 at 00:45
Almost always full albums.

Couple of exceptions. A pal of mine suggested Rush's Hold Your Water... Fire... was more effective with side 2 first. So one day Ill get around to fixing a CDR of that.

Another is Topographic Oceans Either side 1 and 2 (i.e. CD 1) or both. Never Disc 2 (i.e. Sides 3 and 4). For some reason the complete album experience happens with the first two works and the with the second volume. I don't know why this should be so. Odd considering the first Yes I heard was side 3 on day time AM radio.

Another friend decided that putting John Paul Jones second album and shuffling it with Tortoise music was a good idea. I told him it wasn't. I was right.

If I had one of those prog compilations you get now that prog has come out of the closet then maybe. But I don't have those compilations. Or rather I do but only in album format. i.e. the artist statement.

Oh, it works for non-prog albums as well.

I also never get classical music compilations or worse, the dreaded "themed" type stuff.

Well it might be filler but I really enjoy Ludo's 9th. Even the single off the album. I wonder what the flip side was...
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2017 at 09:21
Of course I do!
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Blinkyjoh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2017 at 12:27
At home: i'm lazy so usually i shuffle all music (no particular playlist), via Windows Media Player.
so yes, corey hart songs may bookend king crimson :)

In car: full albums/cd

For working out, i alternate:
i have a spotify modern prog playlist i add stuff to and shuffle. helps find new stuff i like.
i just shuffle my complete music collection imported into google music 
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2017 at 21:50
It's like eating pizza crust first. I just can't do it.
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
Cambus741 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2017 at 07:10
I probably listen to music on shuffle about 5% of the time. Otherwise I tend to listen to albums or minidiscs that I've recorded that are largely based around d an album or two.
Harmonicbliss View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2017 at 09:33
i have to listen to an album from start to finish. Cant shuffle. It drives me mad and gets me upset.
Its the reason why i pay for Spotify so i can listen in order.
HemispheresOfXanadu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2017 at 10:32
Not really... Most of the time I just listen to albums all the way through (because I have so many to listen to... Not that I really get around to them) but I have a few Spotify and Youtube playlists of like-sounding songs. Then I decide what song the playlist should start with. Then I listen to the last few seconds/minute of that song and decide what song's start goes well with that. Youtube used to have a feature where you could make videos start and end part way through the video so I could cut out annoying uploader-created intros or fade outs that last too long etc. Still on the rare occasion I listen to those playlists I skip some songs because I don't feel like hearing 'x' song. (will post my Gojira Youtube playlist when I get home)
@ProgFollower on Twitter. Tweet me muzak.
Sztermel View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2017 at 10:37
Never shuffle any kind of music, although I like to make alternative track order for a few albums I already know very well.
Pelata View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2017 at 12:11
I'm listening to a prog station on Pandora...it's kinda like shuffling.
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2017 at 12:12
Yes. Mood dependant. But not in the car.
RockHound View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2017 at 15:15
It depends what I'm doing.

In the car - shuffle.
While working - shuffle.
Critical listening - never shuffle.

Accordingly, I shuffle >80% of the time since i'm always on the road or chasing a deadline.
Critical listening these days is mainly cranking DTS 5.1 through the home theater until I pass out.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2017 at 01:09
I've recently started shuffling on my mobile phone while I'm going to work. Sometimes it can be agood idea, sometimes after a song from a concept album it's bad having it followed by something else, sometimes it's irrelevant, i.e. The Whirlwind takes more than my whole travel time. 
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2017 at 05:55
prog playlist? Hah... Let me tell you man... outside of the perverted confines of this website... admitting to your date, or even to your friends, to having a

prog playlist

is only one step better than admitting that you wear garters and women's panties under your blue jeans... and like Richard Gere movies LOL

octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2017 at 07:01
But not knowing what comes after is sometimes funny. You only have to be sure that there's no rubbish on your device. I mean "random playlist containing only prog"

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2017 at 07:06
preaching to the choir man...  LOL
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2017 at 09:43
I already did something like shuffling when it all was vinyl. I drew out something from my collection blindly and put it on trying not to see the label, several different things in a row, because I liked the surprise and the rediscovering of stuff that I hadn't played often enough to truly appreciate and memorise it. And to test myself how much I could name after a few seconds.

Now in the digital age of course I love to shuffle, usually everything, only rarely a playlist or an artist or even (very rarely) a single album.
I listen to albums in order too, of course. I respect the order intended by the artist as something special and somehow privileged, but not trying out anything else to me looks like pointless dogmatism.

Edited by Lewian - April 01 2017 at 11:19
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2017 at 10:12
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

I already did something like shuffling when it all was vinyl. I drew out something from my collection and put it on trying not to see the label, several different things in a row, because I liked the surprise and the rediscovering of stuff that I hadn't played often enough to truly appreciate and memorise it. And to test myself how much I could name after a few seconds.

Now in the digital age of course I love to shuffle, usually everything, only rarely a playlist or an artist or even (very rarely) a single album.
I listen to albums in order too, of course. I respect the order intended by the artist as something special and somehow privileged, but not trying out anything else to me looks like pointless dogmatism.
This ^
Brentford Griffin View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2017 at 12:55
Never shuffle I'm a great believer that albums should be listened to from start to finish
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>