Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTurkish Psych/Prog appreciation thread

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Turkish Psych/Prog appreciation thread
    Posted: March 30 2017 at 15:09
Opened this thread to continue the appreciation started by a dear friend, Dervisan, almost a decade ago (link a couple of paragraphs below). Back then only a handful of Turkish Psych/Prog acts were featured in the site (Dervisan mentioned Asia Minor and Replikas only, although I'm sure Nekropsi was there even before those two, but I digress...) And today, though we have an impressive (!) list of 19 names, a majority of these are relatively new bands, and only a handful (literally) come from the glorious seventies. (To my credit, I worked hard to get most of the "classic period" bands & artists, around the same time he started the thread)
Erkin KorayBaris Manco and Mogollar are the acts added to the site after my attempts, by sending samples to genre teams (sadly, the 3rd name of the Turkish "big three", Cem Karaca, wasn't considered progressive enough by the relevant teams back then. I'll give you some samples, if you want to decide for yourselves!) I had no involvement in the addition of 21. Peron (which was a pleasant surprise today, as I checked the country list) and Asia Minor (who made music in the late seventies, and may barely be considered a classic era Turkish psych/Prog band; they were never popular in Turkey, and in fact may more precisely be considered a French/Turkish band, seeing that two of the four members were French, and even Turkish members residing in France... Well, the name itself is an allusion to Turkey, so...)

Anyway, there were surely more musicians making music in the same vein with Manço, Koray, Mogollar, etc. (like the above mentioned Cem Karaca, who also happened to record and tour with Mogollar for one and a half years!) Most of the output by these bands/artists are a far cry from prog, as defined here in progarchives, (especially their post-1980 work) so I won't even try to get any of them included, with the possible exception of Cem Karaca. But still, I'd like to provide samples from their most exciting period, namely 1973-1978. When you go through the band histories (most of the time even the most independent artist had a band attached to his name, such as Manço's "Kurtalan Ekspres" and Cem Karaca's "Dervisan") you'll see the same musicians joined and left these bands over and over again. Baris Manço's Kurtalan Ekspres is a good example, comparable to Zappa's Mothers around the same time! You may listen to a keyboard solo, or a bass riff in a song by one of these artists, and later notice a very similar style in a (seemingly) unrelated artist's song from a couple of years later, and it turns out both were played by the same musician Smile

I'd like to start with Edip Akbayram, because I've been obsessed with his music for a couple of weeks now, and also I'm desperate to find out about a riff played in the intro of one of his songs. There are at least two such examples, one of which caused me to find out about Yes (yeah, that Yes, the classic Symphonic Prog band!) back in the day. Namely, the guitar riff in the intro to Akbayram's "Ince Ince Bir Kar Yagar" is lifted from Roundabout's famous guitar interlude, which turns into the part "Along the drifting cloud the eagle searching down..." The friend who first pointed this out to me (when I didn't have the slightest idea about Yes, and other prog bands for that matter, with the exception of Jethro Tull) also played me the other song from which Akbayram's band lifted an intro, but for some reason I didn't keep that in mind. Now I'm perplexed about it! Hopefully there's someone who can recognize it. Like WalterDigsTunes figured out by himself how they lifted the riff from Roundabout, and a hi-hat rhythm from "Theme from Shaft"!

If my remarks in the above paragraph don't make much sense, please check out my messages in this earlier thread (I wanted to bump that one, but unfortunately it is locked...):
http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=55223&PID=3148945#3148945
(this link goes to the most relevant post I wrote)

Here are some delightful samples by Edip Akbayram from the heyday of Turkish psych/prog scene (locally called Anadolu Pop):
(Akbayram's band was called "Dostlar" (friends), as you may notice in some of the videos)

Daglar Dagladi Beni (1974)
please especially note the bass riff intro to this song; I'm pretty certain this is the other song whose intro was lifted from a western band's music, but I can't say for sure. It may as well be one of the songs below, so please let me know if you notice something familiar Smile

Degmen Benim Gamli Yasli Gönlüme (1973)

Kükredi Cimenler (1972)
This is one of his earliest songs (his second or third single), by which he entered a song contest (and won, if I recall correctly). He hadn't started to work with Dostlar yet. And the intro I'm looking for is not in this one, but still, the orchestral intro to this song may be quoted from a western work. Check out.

Kahpe Felek (1976)
One of the best songs from this period. Has an elaborate intro, which may have been "inspired" by a western rock song Smile

Here are a couple of other goodies, starting with the aforementioned "Yes-inspired" song:
Ince Ince Bir Kar Yagar (1974)
16 seconds into the song, you'll notice Roundabout's famous guitar interlude, which turns into the part "Along the drifting cloud the eagle searching down..." (in the original, of course!)
And as WalterDigsTunes mentioned in the other thread, "Theme from Shaft" influence (if not a direct quote) is also obvious in the same part, at least the hi-hat rhythm... 

And I present you my personal favorites, as I mentioned in the thread from beyond time Smile

Kolum Nerden Aldin Zinciri (1975)

Mehmet Emmi (1975)
I just love the synth solo in the middle

and a fan favorite: Garip (1974)
features Murat Ses of "Mogollar" fame on keyboards. For a short while, Ses was the driving force behind Dostlar, just as he was behind Mogollar when he was a member, unfortunately that period lasted short and yielded only one single.
Interesting info: when Akbayram released a re-recorded best-of style album in mid-'90's, his arranger used Murat Ses's partitions for this song verbatim, so that I thought they used the first version of the song instead of re-recording! "Dostlar" ceased to exist by then.

All songs are from singles, as much of the music produced in Turkey back then were released as singles. Albums as the main media of music prevailed much later. Akbayram, for instance, released one compilation totally from singles (1974) and one studio album during this period (in 1977) but even then most of the songs included were scrapped singles, and 3 of the 10 songs were taken from published singles so far (two of them being Mehmet Emmi and Kolum Nerden Aldin Zinciri)!
I can provide line up details for each song, but for now this would be a futile attempt since non-Turks here (and even many Turks!) are not acquainted with the names anyway. One exception might be Ozkan Ugur of "Mazhar Fuat Ozkan" fame, who plays alongside Murat Ses in Garip. Both musicians played in previous year's incarnation of Kurtalan Ekspres, in two singles.

Still, feel free to ask for details, and music in similar vein (for instance, more Edip Akbayram goodies). I'm hoping to introduce other (relatively) obscure Turkish psych/prog musicians in this thread. When I say "relatively", I mean many of them are actually well known here in Turkey, but not by this type of music! For instance, check out Ersen (who also worked with Mogollar in two different instances) and Fikret Kizilok (who's better known for his Turkish folk ballads from the beginning of his career, and romantic acoustic songs from the latter part of it, but not for the 4 progressive rock masterpieces he produced with his short-lived band "Tehlikeli Madde (hazardous material)" in 1974!)

Edited by Bilek - April 21 2017 at 04:48
Listen to Turkish psych/prog; you won't regret:
Baris Manco,Erkin Koray,Cem Karaca,Mogollar,3 Hürel,Selda,Edip Akbayram,Fikret Kizilok,Ersen (and Dadaslar) (but stick with the '70's, and 'early 80's!)
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2017 at 02:15
My favourite Turkish Psych is Bunalim' eponymous (1971).

Anyway, welcome back BilekHug
Bilek View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2017 at 04:37
^Thanks man, I appreciate your interest in my desolate thread Wink

I always thought of Bunalım as more of a garage band with some psych tinges (because of the garage band background some people tend to associate them with punk!); but now that I gave it another spin, thanks to your video, I sensed the obvious Anatolian Rock texture, especially in the tracks featuring Aziz Azmet as their vocalist. No wonder, Aziz Azmet is a founding member of Moğollar, but sadly left the band after 8 singles, just before the preparation of their highly acclaimed "Danses et Rythmes de la Turquie d'hier á Aujourd'hui " album. The majority of those singles are included in two compilation albums, though. They are still not in Moğollar discography yet, so I better take care of it after I'm finished with Barış Manço, I suppose...

For many people like me (who are into classic Anatolian Rock, and the Turkish rock scene in general), Bunalım is important not because of their music, but because of the contributions later made to the Turkish Psych/Prog scene later by their members... Indeed, there's an impressive list of names (even apart from Aziz Azmet, who was already an established name with Moğollar before he joined Bunalım). 

For one thing, right after the band broke up, two long-standing members (guitarist Aydın Çakus and drummer Nur Yenal) went on to form the very short-lived Ter, who subsequently joined forces with Erkin Koray... consider this:

One of their former drummers, Hüseyin Sultanoğlu, joined Cem Karaca's Kardaşlar after he left the band. This song (the first recording of Kardaşlar) was actually produced around the same time with some of Bunalım's earlier work:

(Sultanoğlu plays in two songs in Bunalım album; "Taş Var Köpek Yok" and "Yeter Artık Kadın" which is the Turkish lyrics cover of Iron Butterfly's Get Out of My Life Woman)
Actually Cem Karaca himself produced for the band for a while... He's the one conversing with the band members at the end of "Taş Var köpek Yok". He probably stole their drummer eventually LOL

Another former drummer, Nihat Örerel, joined Erkin Koray's band later. Here's two of the songs where he shines with his drumming:

Perhaps their greatest contribution, however, is bassist Ahmet Güvenç, who first joined Erkin Koray's band, and then made a big name with Barış Manço's Kurtalan Ekspres, where he's still playing, and most senior member. Among the many important Manço songs he played in, I chose Dönence from 1981:

Although, as I mentioned, Aziz Azmet was already an established name around his stint with Bunalım, I can't help giving an example of his later work, which is significant because of his collaboration with another big name of the scene, 3 Hürel. 

The song in the first half of this video was later re-recorded by the trio themselves, and made into a single under their own name. It's practically the same, apart from vocals...

That 3 Hürel band is quite interesting in their own right, I think I'll investigate them further, if I continue this thread Smile

By the way, Damo, I remember you being a part of psych team back when I was involved, along with post-rock if I'm not mistaken; and now I see you involved in three more teams; are you a jack of all trades, or what LOL (hopefully you are master of all, as well Wink)

edit: I changed the Erkin Koray link to a video that includes both sides of the single.

Edited by Bilek - April 21 2017 at 06:25
Baris Manco,Erkin Koray,Cem Karaca,Mogollar,3 Hürel,Selda,Edip Akbayram,Fikret Kizilok,Ersen (and Dadaslar) (but stick with the '70's, and 'early 80's!)
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2017 at 04:57
I only know Asia Minor and Nemrud (although I didn't check their latest album yet).
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2017 at 07:43
Another find. It's sorta kills. Shocked

Will recommend for Psych Team later. 
Bilek View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2017 at 08:54
Somehow Damo's last message escaped my attention (I get mails for this thread, and I got it the same day the message was posted, but I overlooked)

I knew about Hardal, too. They were sort of a legend among Anatolian Rock aficionados in early '90's, with only rumours of their great album. For some reason no one seemed to have that album. Apparently thet produced two albums in the late '70's & early '80's. Thanks to internet (and specifically youtube) we got those albums these days.
I remember listening to them a couple of years ago, but for some reason they didn't impress me much. I'll give it another spin these days, along with their second album. Here's the tube for it:

I personally prefer more "Anatolian" sounding acts, which are listed in my signature, in my preference order Smile (possibly with 3 Hürel and Selda further down the list, but still in top ten)

"Hardal" means "mustard", by the way!

Edited by Bilek - May 04 2017 at 08:58
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2017 at 20:23
Purchased Erkin's "Elektronik Turkuler" ... what a fantastic psychedelia. Cool

Edited by DamoXt7942 - May 04 2017 at 20:24
Maggese View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2017 at 05:58
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMTk9YfkyL0