Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedEthnic Music Recommendations

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ethnic Music Recommendations
    Posted: April 05 2017 at 13:56
Hi there guys, after listening Popol Vuh, Agitation Free, Secret Chiefs 3 and other bands, i'm interested in bands that fuse Eastern, African, or Mediterran music with progressive music, it can be rock, electronic or something else.
Please give me your best recommendations! 
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2017 at 15:13
Funny that you start this thread...I was just looking for recommendations about the exact same thing! LOL

I think you're already familiar with these (correct me if I'm wrong), but I'll put them out there anyway. Arco Iris is an Argentinian band blending Andean folk with jazz and psychedelic rock. Los Jaivas from Chile did a similar kind of thing, leaning a lot more closely to the folk side of things than Arco Iris, who veered into jazz territory a lot more often. Not Eastern, African, or Mediterranean, like you put in your original post, but ethnic music nonetheless.

And I can't think of a much finer blend of Mediterranean music and prog than Osanna's Palepoli

Edited by Magnum Vaeltaja - April 05 2017 at 15:14
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
andreol263 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2017 at 16:21
^Yeah i already know these awesome bands :D, be welcome to pick some recommendations from here too if this thread get more responses.
I think that i'm gonna listen to these bands again, i've forgotten how good they are, thanks!!
And i remembered another band, Zwoyld, a obscure zeuhl band, that the only album from them, 200 000, it's full of strange instruments and ethnic rythms, go listen to them :D
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2017 at 16:31
Not Eastern, African or Mediterranean, but a great fusion of Afro-Brazilian, Cuban and American ~

Mezcla: Akimba!

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
hadalsherpa View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2017 at 16:35
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMsnASI0SFY
Raccoon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2017 at 16:57
Milton Nascimento (Clube da Esquina 1 &2, Geraes, Minas, Self-titled from 1969 and 1970, Courage, and Milgres are ALL GREAT), Alas (from Argentina), Lula Cortez, Nelson Angelo e Joyce, Jorge Ben (A Tabua, Força Bruta, Samba Esquema, Africa Brasil), Marcos Valle (Vento Sul sounds like Jethro Tull, but much better), and Erasmo Carlos (Sonhos E Memórias - 1941 / 1972)

Cervello (which goes along with the Osanna recommendation), Aksak Maboul...
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2017 at 18:02
Originally posted by andreol263 andreol263 wrote:

And i remembered another band, Zwoyld, a obscure zeuhl band, that the only album from them, 200 000, it's full of strange instruments and ethnic rythms, go listen to them :D

Awesome! I have their album bookmarked to check out. 

A few more examples came to mind, but they're generally more well-known. Assagai, Osibisa and Herbie Hancock were all doing stuff in the early 70's strongly built on a fusion of jazz with African music, and Jade Warrior is of course cited as one of the quintessential ethnic-influenced prog bands. I hope Tymon (ALotOfBottle) comes along; I'm sure he'd have a lot more obscure examples than I can come up with. Wink 
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
ibnacio View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2017 at 18:19
Hi, andreol***
As you are looking for Mediterranean fusion with eastern music, rock, prog, electronics etc, I think I could recommend a few things I like with some of those ingredients, though not all of them at a time!
Try and listen these forgotten gems: Oriente-Occidente by Babia (Spain); Carnascialia by Giorgio Vivaldi (Italy); anything by Luis Delgado (from Babia); anything from Kolinda (Hungary); all of them on the ethnic/ folk side.
On the rock/ blues side, I'd try the first things made by Toti Soler, whether with his band Om (eponymous album), together with painist Jordi Sabatés or on his own (Desdesig, Epigrama, El cat monjo). He mixes blues, rock and jazz together with Mediterranean sounds, flamenco. The band Iceberg is a good option, too. Their albums Coses Nostres and Sentiments blend the best prog rock with flamenco and Mediterranean sounds, too.
If you have a taste for flamenco rock, there were some good progressive bands in south Spain in the 70s: Imán Califato Independiente, Mezquita, Guadalquivir, Triana, Goma. All of them were in debt with those pioneers called Smash, which started in the 60s. Some are in the prog vein, others in the jazz-rock one, but all of them are pretty ethnic in a way, that is, they can't deny they come from where they came.
I'm sure there a lot more, but it's getting late now and have to leave the forum. Hope it helps.
Ibnacio
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2017 at 16:45
The Zawinul Syndicate

Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2017 at 21:06
I don't know much of this, but the first thing that came to my mind is Led Zeppelin's "Unledded" CD/DVD for some indian influenced stuff. I just love it all (except perhaps "No Quarter", which they somehow ruined on this version). I just got a little while ago Aphrodite Child's "666" album, and that one was very good too, suposedly with Greek and Mediterranean influence.

Edited by Dellinger - April 06 2017 at 21:08
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2017 at 13:41
Passion by Peter Gabriel. The soundtrack to the movie "The Last Temptation of Christ".
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
 Post Reply Post Reply