23 [67.65%]
11 [32.35%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Grateful Dead
    Posted: April 06 2017 at 20:11
For some reason, I never thought to thoroughly check these guys out. Obviously, they were huge in country and rock n roll, but I believe they had some good progressive stuff.

I'm learning "Help on the Way / Slipknot! / Franklin's Tower" on guitar, and I quite like it. What do you guys think and recommend?
https://gamecrazyprofessional.weebly.com/
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2017 at 20:29
Live/Dead is highly recommended.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2017 at 22:51
Yep - Blues For Allah.
But also side 2 of Terrapin Station, and AoxomoxoA (from 1969) and Anthem Of The Sun (1968) - highly original and creative stuff. There's always some progressively inclined tracks throughout (Unbroken Chain of 'From The Mars Hotel, for example).
beeebon View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2017 at 01:04
Heck yes they are easily one of my favourite bands although that has only happened in recent years. For ages I had Anthem Of The Sun, Aoxomoxoa, Live/Dead, Workingman's Dead and American Beauty and thought they all had their merrits but never truly grabbed me. Then I started discovering their live stuff and came to appreciate how truly special they were. Between 1966 and 1979 there is such much good live stuff.
mlkpad14 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2017 at 04:57
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Yep - Blues For Allah.
But also side 2 of Terrapin Station, and AoxomoxoA (from 1969) and Anthem Of The Sun (1968) - highly original and creative stuff. There's always some progressively inclined tracks throughout (Unbroken Chain of 'From The Mars Hotel, for example).

Thanks!

"Help on the Way!" is one heck of a peace! The speed at which the guitarist plays notes is impossible to match, and the progressions sound awesome!

Do you recommend any of their not-so-progressive stuff?
mlkpad14 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2017 at 04:58
Originally posted by beeebon beeebon wrote:

Heck yes they are easily one of my favourite bands although that has only happened in recent years. For ages I had Anthem Of The Sun, Aoxomoxoa, Live/Dead, Workingman's Dead and American Beauty and thought they all had their merrits but never truly grabbed me. Then I started discovering their live stuff and came to appreciate how truly special they were. Between 1966 and 1979 there is such much good live stuff.

Oooook! Thanks!
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2017 at 05:14
Originally posted by mlkpad14 mlkpad14 wrote:

Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Yep - Blues For Allah.

Thanks!

"Help on the Way!" is one heck of a peace! The speed at which the guitarist plays notes is impossible to match, and the progressions sound awesome!

Do you recommend any of their not-so-progressive stuff?
Wake Of The Flood is quite strong, and I enjoy much of Shakedown Street. I didn't think much of the post-70's albums, though the live work they did is usually fantastic coz they jam and improvise so much.
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2017 at 07:39
For me, the only two "essential" studio albums are "American Beauty" and "Wake of the Flood."  A handful of others are pretty good. 

Otherwise, I stick to Dicks Picks shows from 72-74 and 77 primarily, when Jerry was at his friskiest. 

Good stuff they are, enjoy!  Thumbs Up

infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2017 at 22:15
Generally no.  Maybe some.
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2017 at 07:13
It took a while but definitely yes.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2017 at 07:26
ehhh... I appreciate them more than I actually like them I tend to like other bands more. The Airplane had better studio albums.. the Allmans were the better live act.

However I do think they suffer a few bias's.  The evil 'jam band' tag which ignores the progressiveness of their music and of course they are hurt by the silly fans of theirs... however IMO very underrated by many in their importance and influence.. none more than by this site.  The single biggest omission the site has.. if they had been english.. they'd have been added... in 2004. 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2017 at 10:36
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

ehhh... I appreciate them more than I actually like them I tend to like other bands more. The Airplane had better studio albums.. the Allmans were the better live act.

However I do think they suffer a few bias's.  The evil 'jam band' tag which ignores the progressiveness of their music and of course they are hurt by the silly fans of theirs... however IMO very underrated by many in their importance and influence.. none more than by this site.  The single biggest omission the site has.. if they had been english.. they'd have been added... in 2004

LOLClap

mlkpad14 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2017 at 11:46

However I do think they suffer a few bias's.  The evil 'jam band' tag which ignores the progressiveness of their music and of course they are hurt by the silly fans of theirs... however IMO very underrated by many in their importance and influence.. none more than by this site.  The single biggest omission the site has.. if they had been english.. they'd have been added... in 2004. 

A friend of mine lives in New York City, and he's very into the underground. The Grateful Dead is one of his top bands, and I've always overlooked them.

The bands he's talked about make enough sense to the average proggy: Floyd, Crimson, Tull, Grateful Dead, Porcupine Tree (Smile), Dead Can Dance, Zappa, Sylvian, Hector Zazou... I don't know why I overlooked them.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2017 at 17:28
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

However I do think they suffer a few bias's.  The evil 'jam band' tag which ignores the progressiveness of their music and of course they are hurt by the silly fans of theirs... however IMO very underrated by many in their importance and influence.. none more than by this site.  The single biggest omission the site has.. if they had been english.. they'd have been added... in 2004

LOLClap
Yep, it gets funnier each time he says it and no doubt it'll be funnier still when he trots it out in 2020.

If there was even a smattering of truth in this then The Edgar Broughton Band, along with Pete Brown, would have been added just after Ivan had carved out the titles of all the Genesis albums on his desk; hell, we'd even have thrown in a smattering of Al Stewart and The Sensational Alex Harvey Band just to be kind to the Scots. But alas it is just a fairy tale told around camp-fires to remind young Americans of what it could have been like if Brian Wilson had been the godfather of Prog.

If only The Grateful Dead were Prog just think what could have been... [you try, I got nothing] ...but sadly it was never meant to be because, American or not, there isn't an ounce of Prog in their dried bones and there isn't a gram of Grateful Dead influence in any of the Progressive Rock bands that came out of Britain and Europe. And there's the rub, for while all the countries of Europe where off making their own niche Progressive trails America chose to take a different path. And there's nothing wrong with that if you like that kind of thing, it's certainly nothing to be ashamed of, but trying to show-horn something that doesn't belong into a space where it doesn't fit is never going to change the music into something it isn't. Enjoy the Grateful Dead (and all those other bands that some people think should be here but can't quite articulate why) for what they are, and celebrate them for what they were, even if that wasn't Prog.
What?
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2017 at 18:51
^ Pete Brown and Piblokto should have more chance at PA than the Dead.
And anyway, how could the Terrapin Station suite not be considered 'Progressive' ??
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2017 at 22:28
Sometimes you see a shape in the clouds that looks like an elephant. It's not an elephant
What?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2017 at 08:54
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

LOLClap
Yep, it gets funnier each time he says it and no doubt it'll be funnier still when he trots it out in 2020.

If there was even a smattering of truth in this then The Edgar Broughton Band, along with Pete Brown, would have been added just after Ivan had carved out the titles of all the Genesis albums on his desk; hell, we'd even have thrown in a smattering of Al Stewart and The Sensational Alex Harvey Band just to be kind to the Scots. But alas it is just a fairy tale told around camp-fires to remind young Americans of what it could have been like if Brian Wilson had been the godfather of Prog.

If only The Grateful Dead were Prog just think what could have been... [you try, I got nothing] ...but sadly it was never meant to be because, American or not, there isn't an ounce of Prog in their dried bones and there isn't a gram of Grateful Dead influence in any of the Progressive Rock bands that came out of Britain and Europe. And there's the rub, for while all the countries of Europe where off making their own niche Progressive trails America chose to take a different path. And there's nothing wrong with that if you like that kind of thing, it's certainly nothing to be ashamed of, but trying to show-horn something that doesn't belong into a space where it doesn't fit is never going to change the music into something it isn't. Enjoy the Grateful Dead (and all those other bands that some people think should be here but can't quite articulate why) for what they are, and celebrate them for what they were, even if that wasn't Prog.

Well, I hadn't heard that Mickism before and I thought it was funny.  As was your rebuttal.  I miss those exchanges, sure beats politics. 

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2017 at 13:24

Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

LOLClap

Well, I hadn't heard that Mickism before and I thought it was funny.  As was your rebuttal.  I miss those exchanges, sure beats politics. 
My humour isn't always appreciated but I appreciate it when it is. *dofts hat*
What?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2017 at 15:32
Now there's a word i hadn't heard in a spell.  (dofts)  Nice. 

socrates17 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2017 at 16:56
It's a cliché to say, but if you didn't see The Grateful Dead live in the '60s, then you didn't see them.  I saw them a lot in the '60s.  I was never, to put to bed another cliché, chemically altered because I didn't want anything interfering with my ability to understand and appreciate the music.  Save that for the dorm!
The Dead started out as a jug band, adding R&B with Pigpen and their 1st album sounds more proto-punk than anything, complete with Farfisa organ.  Beginning with Anthem of the Sun, the Dead started creating complex arrangements like That's it for the Other One (the truncated version The Other One that they did in later years was a pale imitation).  St. Stephen was so hard that, according to Jerry, they had  to stop performing it.  The Eleven transitions from 4/4 to 11/8, 2 instruments at a time, over 6 measures, which created a breathtaking polyrhythmic effect that I  am in awe of to this day.  Dark Star could get a bit noodley at times, as could Alligator & Caution.  But even in shorter songs like Cosmic Charlie they rarely went for the obvious.  Those were their prog days, and I fail to see how anyone could listen to Anthem through Live/Dead and not consider them some sort of progressive music.  Maybe not the kind you like, but do you like all of the categories at the head of this site?
We drifted away from them in 1971.  Lesh and Constanten had always seemed the experimental heart of the band and with Tom gone, I guess Phil wasn't motivated to keep going down that road without his partner in crime.  So I dove headlong down Zeuhl Highway and R.I.O Drive, instead.
But we did come back, years later, to find another complex workout with Terrapin Station.  The album version was interesting, but couldn't compare to the late '80s live versions.  For one thing, those lacked Donna trying and failing to sing on key.
All through, their more mournful songs (Death Don't Have No Mercy, Cassidy) had an evocative quality that was good to hear, but I can agree with saying that that material wasn't prog.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>