Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Lots about a (C)Rapper, hardly a word about Yes.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLots about a (C)Rapper, hardly a word about Yes.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2017 at 11:51
Originally posted by Upbeat Tango Monday Upbeat Tango Monday wrote:

nor violins, I fear

Come again?

OK, these are synthetic violins, but it's still violins.

Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2017 at 12:08
Tupac is dope yo. Yes is dope too, and definitely underrepresented in the article (ELO too), but I think Tupac's influence is a bit stronger now than Yes', especially with the most lauded and influential album of 2015, Kendrick Lamar's To Pimp a Butterfly, featuring an "interview" with him, a pivotal moment in the album. He definitely warrants a paragraph or two. 
thebeastmustdie View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2017 at 12:18
Originally posted by jayem jayem wrote:

Good old 80-90s

couple of great albums, from the time when anyone could sample anything and usually get away with it. tribe's 'low end theory' would be up there too, and Organized Konfuzion's debut...

btw I totally get why a prog lover might hate rap/hip hop. complete opposite genres in some ways. but I happen to like both
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2017 at 15:33
Whatever happened to that guy who claimed to like prog but hated all prog you mentioned and would run around here trolling people by professing rappers that play a sample from a recording during a live performance and playing a Bach melody on an instrument was the same thing? He was a special kind of genius.
cemego View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2017 at 00:24
I thoroughly enjoyed Rick Wakeman's romp through old man pervy sexy jokes. I was disappointed he didn't keep going.  F*CK the "Rock and Roll" hall of fame.  They can suck it.
listen to streaming stuff! no commercials!

http://wmom.servemp3.com:8000/listen.pls
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2017 at 01:33
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

Whatever happened to that guy who claimed to like prog but hated all prog you mentioned and would run around here trolling people by professing rappers that play a sample from a recording during a live performance and playing a Bach melody on an instrument was the same thing? He was a special kind of genius.

He strayed too close to the camp of the RIO/Avant-Garde-ists, who as you know make the hordes of Genghiz Khan look like an under-10s ballet troupe on a Sunday outing. I'm afraid to say that they killed him and ate him.
Pelata View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2017 at 06:09
I'm not saying there's no art in rap music, I just can't get into it. To each their own.

That said, for a band like Yes to barely get a mention in an article like that? Shameful.
2dogs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2017 at 07:39
Oh I read it as not needing to explain who ELO, Journey and Yes were Wink.
"There is nothing new except what has been forgotten" - Marie Antoinette
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2017 at 22:46
Tupac was a martyr and now according to Biggie an accidental martyr----so anyone that dies young OD's--suicide---murdered---is going to carry a  certain interest and mythical  greatness---forever.
stewe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2017 at 01:41
Originally posted by cemego cemego wrote:

I thoroughly enjoyed Rick Wakeman's romp through old man pervy sexy jokes. I was disappointed he didn't keep going.  F*CK the "Rock and Roll" hall of fame.  They can suck it.

My thoughts as well. I am not a fan of such jokes in general, but in this context it was a great oxymoron - juxtaposition between achievements such as Heart of Sunrise/Close to the Edge and silly, nasty joking. No big words of thanks or crocodile tears. I think there were enough of them. Just an innocent mockery on opulent and politically correct so called Rock and Roll HoF.  But I liked other speeches too, particularly the one of Geddy Lee.

<a href="http://steveer.ic.cz" rel="nofollow"
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2017 at 11:56
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

Tupac was a martyr and now according to Biggie an accidental martyr----so anyone that dies young OD's--suicide---murdered---is going to carry a  certain interest and mythical  greatness---forever.

Martyr?

A martyr is a person who sacrifices his life for a greater cause.

Tupac was a criminal who died as he lived.

altaeria View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2017 at 10:58

When will some rapper break the mold and give us mixed 9/8 with 7/4 meter ?? 
Maybe they could babble over isolated instrumental tracks from the first UK album.  

aglasshouse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2017 at 16:02
Originally posted by Polymorphia Polymorphia wrote:

Tupac is dope yo. Yes is dope too, and definitely underrepresented in the article (ELO too), but I think Tupac's influence is a bit stronger now than Yes', especially with the most lauded and influential album of 2015, Kendrick Lamar's To Pimp a Butterfly, featuring an "interview" with him, a pivotal moment in the album. He definitely warrants a paragraph or two. 

Tupac is more of a modern contemporary and thus warrants more article-space, and of course Uncle Kendrick's interview with him on Mortal Man (I think) is also a reason he should. I'm sure if this article was written in 1973 Yes would have been the highlight. But while I think Tupac's influence is massive, I think it's a bit muddied when we're talking about whose influence is larger if we're considering them both in terms of music as a whole -- that's just something I'm not really sure of. But Tony's right in the fact that Tupac deserves more article space considering it's the modern era.
http://fryingpanmedia.com
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2017 at 21:30
Originally posted by aglasshouse aglasshouse wrote:

Tupac is more of a modern contemporary and thus warrants more article-space, and of course Uncle Kendrick's interview with him on Mortal Man (I think) is also a reason he should. I'm sure if this article was written in 1973 Yes would have been the highlight. But while I think Tupac's influence is massive, I think it's a bit muddied when we're talking about whose influence is larger if we're considering them both in terms of music as a whole -- that's just something I'm not really sure of. But Tony's right in the fact that Tupac deserves more article space considering it's the modern era.

As I understand, Tupac was killed about 20 years ago, so I don't think that's very modern anymore. Besides, once again, he's not rock, so what's he got to do in a rock event?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2017 at 22:40
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Originally posted by aglasshouse aglasshouse wrote:

As I understand, Tupac was killed about 20 years ago, so I don't think that's very modern anymore. Besides, once again, he's not rock, so what's he got to do in a rock event?

20 years is more modern than 50 years, I would think. As for the rock part, yeah....the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is very...interesting in the way it perceives what "rock" is defined as. Rock is such an unbelievably massive genre that encompasses innumerable other subgenres that it's not too hard to believe that they would at some point bring rap under that banner. I personally think it's silly for them to do so because well I don't consider it rock, and the 'pro' arguments consist of strawmen of black-culture-despising reactions to the phenomenon and beating around the bush of finding real reasons why the Hall of Fame should other than the former. You gotta be a certain amount of crazy to agree with Gene Simmons on an issue.

Aside from this, this undercuts the fact that jazz artists have also been inducted, like Ray Charles -- and he isn't rock either. Just a thought. I believe in all honesty that if the R&RHOF believes that rap and specifically Tupac are worthy of induction, let them be free to do so.

As for the article nonsense, it's coming from the BBC so I really don't take them too seriously anyway. But if they are juxtaposing Tupac with Yes or ELO then it's nothing short of a smart decision as a publication to talk more about Tupac. He appeals to the younger and more impressionable audience much more than Yes, simply because more young people know who he is. It's a simple but effective move. Hell, they talked more about Joan Baez than they did Tupac, mainly because of the Donald Trump reference to (likely) capitalize on current hot-button politics. I'd say all-in-all it's not something to get too worked up about.
Thatfabulousalien View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2017 at 23:43
"DONALD TRUMP INDUCTED INTO THE ROCK 'N ROLL HALL OF FAME 2018"
Classical music isn't dead, it's more alive than it's ever been. It's just not on MTV.

https://www.soundcloud.com/user-322914325
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2017 at 11:42
Originally posted by Thatfabulousalien Thatfabulousalien wrote:

"DONALD TRUMP INDUCTED INTO THE ROCK 'N ROLL HALL OF FAME 2018"
Wouldn't surprise me- I honestly have no clue how the mind of Greg Harris operates. Rusty gears and broken circuits.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2017 at 14:27
Originally posted by mechanicalflattery mechanicalflattery wrote:

Face it, that "crappy rapper" is more famous and renowned than Yes. Should he be? Eh, probably not. Who knows? Better yet, who cares? I'm sure at least once Yes has been criticized for overshadowing the "true" musical greats. Live and let live. Most importantly, don't expect mainstream journalism to have worthwhile opinions on art. 

How many Tupac songs have any of us actually listened to anyway?
Who do you mean by "us" white man?
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
HemispheresOfXanadu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2017 at 10:12
What's all this about a toilet and who said yes and why is it significant?
@ProgFollower on Twitter. Tweet me muzak.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2017 at 10:29
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

I doubt any reporter/magazine wants to feature a band with guys that just finished filming Dawn of the Dead....

LOL

That's not even the worst picture of Howe that I've seen!!  

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>