Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDo you think syd barrett is overrated

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Do you think syd barrett is overrated
    Posted: April 08 2017 at 15:49
I think  he has  a cult following  because of 1970s Pink Floyd. I  do not hear much of his influence in rock music  besides  David Bowie and Marc Bolan citing syd barrett as an inspiration. I believed journalists over hype his importance in music

Furthermore journalists has  compared syd barrett to the  1970s British band Wire. I dont think Wire sounds like Syd Barrett .  I  could only hear Syd influence on some songs but not the entire album 
http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/reviews/p98c/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tL9v5eWYIyo
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2017 at 15:57
Firstly, Barrett left Floyd in 1968.   Second, you don't have to like his music in order to hear his influence, not so much on style or composition but on the liberties he took and what he saw was possible in rock music; it was Barrett's sense of adventure that left an indelible mark and made the psychedelia of the Beatles and Doors seem tame.

Edited by Atavachron - April 08 2017 at 15:58
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2017 at 16:02
personally... I don't think he is overrated...  no one is calling him the father of prog... the father of psychedelic rock or the messiah of popular music or any of that sh*t. Then if he was...yeah... he'd be overrated like a motherf**ker.. but since he is not... he is not.

He has a lot of fans who like his contribution to early Floyd... nothing wrong with that.  No more than thinking the day he left Floyd is the day that group got really good and Roger took the creative helm haha.. not a fan of Syds material on Piper.  Perhaps it is a cultural thing but I don't really dig the whole English whimsy sh*t....
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2017 at 16:12
I don't hear his name mentioned often enough. He was a creative spirit that weaved his magic beyond the 'underground'. In no way would I class him in the overrated category.
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2017 at 16:19
Syd Barrett was a very gifted song writer and a musical visionary who was way ahead of his time.
I don't know if he is overrated because I didn't know he had a rating. What is his rating?

Edited by js (Easy Money) - April 08 2017 at 16:56
Larkstongue41 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2017 at 17:34
Underrated. Hardly ever mentioned in Floyd discussions and barely even known by most so-called Pink Floyd fans.
"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2017 at 19:39
Absolutely not.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2017 at 20:25
No, he is treated with respect but not considered that significant, he was a minor figure and is treated as such.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2017 at 20:48
Not overrated. I think he has been significantly influential on indie rock, as well as plenty of other music.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
mechanicalflattery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2017 at 21:02
He's rated pretty much as well as he should be, although I do think The Piper At The Gates of Dawn deserves more attention overall. His solo albums are quite good as well, although it's difficult to determine how much of their quality is attributable to him personally. 
Thatfabulousalien View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2017 at 21:07
Yes he is overrated, but not as much as the rest of Floyd
Classical music isn't dead, it's more alive than it's ever been. It's just not on MTV.

https://www.soundcloud.com/user-322914325
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2017 at 22:15
If people go on about 40 to 60 minutes of so recordings that are now 50 years old then there must be something in it.

What is over rating?

I tend to regard Syd as a sort of Lewis Carroll of pyschedelia.

I doubt that Pink Floyd c. 1967 made the Doors sound tame. No one made the Doors sound tame.
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2017 at 03:00
No.

Roger Waters, yes definitely. Miserable old b*****d.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2017 at 08:23
Who is this Syd?
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2017 at 10:04

I refuse to say that an artist is overrated, he has the rating he deserves.

But I can say that IMHO the best thing that could ever happen to Pink Floyd is the retirement of Syd Barrett, without Gilmour and Waters together, Pink Floyd would had been just a Psychedelic band that vanished in 1970 or 71 trapped in a dying genre.

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - April 09 2017 at 10:05

socrates17 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2017 at 15:01
Is the Sun overrated?  Is oxygen?  And he's had more influence than you may think.  Via Soft Boys and Robyn Hitchcock, who wear their appreciation on their sleeves, he's influenced the short-lived new psychedelia movement.  His Dadaist whimsy (shared by Robert Wyatt) influenced, among others, Pere Ubu.  A strong argument could be made that his space raveups like Intersellar Overdrive and Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun influenced the PF that immediately came after, and had a longer term influence in Hawkwind and many of the German bands such as Amon Duul II.  It's a stretch, because it came out only a few months earlier, but doesn't it bear considering that Astronomy Domine influenced to some degree the Stones album Their Satanic Majesties Request?
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2017 at 19:17
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

I refuse to say that an artist is overrated, he has the rating he deserves.

But I can say that IMHO the best thing that could ever happen to Pink Floyd is the retirement of Syd Barrett, without Gilmour and Waters together, Pink Floyd would had been just a Psychedelic band that vanished in 1970 or 71 trapped in a dying genre.

I would say that it was Gilmour, Waters, AND Richard Wright. His importance to the sound of Pink Floyd should not be dismissed. If there's any doubt about it, just listen to The Wall and The Final Cut (his influence on The Wall was at it's minimal, I guess, and on The Final Cut... well, obviously he was not there).
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2017 at 22:01
He was instrumental in being the catalyst that ushered in the explosive boost in musical experimentation that the music world desperately needed in the mid 60s. While his gift to the world wasn't in longevity, he certainly was the main impetus for much of the experimental music that would come and even Pink Floyd members themselves clung on to his influneces long after he parted ways. So NOT overated. Who's rating him anyway?

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2017 at 04:14
Syd developed a strange cult following, if not downright worship, after leaving Floyd and making two solo albums and was treated as if he was a musical genius on par with pre acid damaged Brian Wilson or Lennon/McCartney. Particularly in the UK, but in other the parts of world as well. Why this happened has always been a mystery to me. A cult of personality, perhaps.

Edited by SteveG - April 10 2017 at 04:14
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2017 at 04:16
Of course Syd Barrett is overrated, it would be impossible for him not to be. Just as it is impossible for any cult figure not to be overrated: Jim Morrison, Nick Drake, Tim Buckley and Janis Joplin are all overrated by some and underappreciated by others. (Anyone who thought the antonym was 'underrated' go to the back of the class). Overrated is a misused and overused term that says very little about the artist being discussed and more about the people using it (not enough to leap to a conclusion thou') - if I said coffee is overrated that says more about me and my tastes than it does about coffee itself, however it doesn't mean you can deduce that I don't like coffee as a consequence; coffee-lovers will round on me and defend their love of coffee but that doesn't change my view that a grande skinny double-shot frappacappachino is just coffee. Syd Barrett was just a man with a guitar and some songs.

With some cult artists whose careers were cut short it is difficult to quantify their effect while with others it's piss-easy, anyone who dares to say Jimi Hendrix is overrated would be laughed out of the playground for example. It is easier still of course if that career was cut tragically short so elevation to cultdom was guaranteed by posthumous decree and universal public mourning. With Barrett it's not so easy because he didn't die so wasn't taken away leaving a hole of unrealised potential, but just withdrew from the public glare and with that sort of faded away. Yet with the benefit of hindsight and some understanding of context we can begin to see behind the myth and fable that has grown up around him. 

Speculation of his mental state, and the causes thereof, didn't really enter into the public consciousness until after the release of Wish You Were here, five years after his last solo album and some three years after Barrett had withdrawn from the music business. Between 1970 and 1973 Pink Floyd and Syd's Floyd were regarded by the media and fans alike as two separate entities, even their record company recognised this and tried to capitalise on the success of Meddle and Dark Side of the Moon with a budget-priced compilation and a retrospective repackaging of the two psychedelic-era Floyd albums as a toofa. As early as 1971 it was acceptable in Pink Floyd fandom to dismiss Piper and Saucerful, and all the 7" singles associated with them, as being relics of a different age, and with that to some extent, Syd Barrett. It seems strange today, but back then knowledge of a five-man Floyd was more of a rumour or myth than universal truth such that when David Bowie (following the release of Pin Ups) claimed to have seen a five-man Floyd perform on stage around 1967/8 it was met with doubt.

The seeds of Barrett's cult-status germinated around 1972 with the formation of the Syd Barrett Appreciation Society and its club fanzine 'Terrapin', but were sown a year or two earlier following rumours of aborted sessions for a third solo album; the hole of unrealised potential that appears as a gaping chasm moments after the untimely death of a musical hero was beginning to form around Barrett while he was still alive, much like it had around Brian Wilson for similar reasons. The promise that Barrett revealed on Piper At The Gates was yet to be seen in his solo work (which in itself was fast becoming eclipsed by Pink Floyd's rise to stardom following the #1 chart success of Atom Heart Mother released a month prior to his second album), people were expecting more and that pressure to deliver shows in later analysis, not only in the documented accounts of the recording sessions that have subsequently surfaced, but also in Barrett's reaction to the reception the albums and his sporadic live shows received.

If everything stands or falls on just the body of work he released then the record is not a great one if you measure it at face-value fifty years later. It would seem incongruous that such a fractured and some would say naive collection of songs would have spored such a far-reaching reaction in so many people that you would be forgiven in mistaking this for misplaced adulation of the myth rather than recognition and appreciation of his work. This suggests there is far more to his work than just surface detail just as there is far more to the man than the myth that surrounds him, his innovation and creativity are reflected below any superficial evaluation of mere notes and words, and analysis of guitar and studio technique (though all are a worthy place to start). The sections covering his creative impact and cultural influence given on Wikipedia, while far from being am exhaustive summary, suggests there is far more to this than just a bit of journalistic hype, nostalgia and faddish hipsterism. 

Edited by Dean - April 10 2017 at 04:25
What?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>