Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedrick wakeman (arthur)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: rick wakeman (arthur)
    Posted: April 12 2017 at 08:10
Last night i took the time and listened to rick wakemans  king arthur the myths and legends of the round table what a pleasure it was a fully formed concept album,but i do understand the critics of the live show but if you take the time and sit down and hear the tracks A standout is THE LAST BATTLE as a grand closer .SIR GALAHAD is a reggae and calypso marvel.The most soothing or ballad song is GUINEVERE the only track i did not care for was MERLIN THE MAGICIAN a little too corny in parts of an otherwise good song . My opinion only i realize everyone else has a different take on the record anyone else would like to weigh in thank you .
Evolver View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2017 at 09:27
Love the music.
Hate the vocalists.
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2017 at 21:41
I really love this album, my favourite from Wakeman, and one of my favourite prog albums. My favourite songs on this one is Arthur... it's just so epic and all. And I agree with Merlin being my least favourite, though it's got great moments itself, but those Charles Chaplin like keyboards just ruin it for me (even though Wakeman seems to love it). And about the vocals, yeah, they may not be the best, but they don't bother me at all anymore. Now, I still need to get the new re-recorded and expanded version of this album, but it doesn't seem to be available yet.
noni View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2017 at 00:17
Beautiful album!...Smile
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2017 at 01:23
Originally posted by Evolver Evolver wrote:

Love the music.
Hate the vocalists.
Nailed it !!
70sBoy View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2017 at 09:41
My favourite Wakeman album. I thought it combined great music with also telling the story too, something a few of his other albums didn't quite match.
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2017 at 11:04

Love the music.
Hate the vocalists.

I once read an interview in which Rick said he chose the vocalist, because they sound as medieval troubadours narrating a history with music.

My favourite RW album.  

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - April 26 2017 at 11:05

Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2017 at 12:04
It's beyond the playing or the singing - it's the whole "romantic" atmosphere that's captivating and transports you to a dreamy mood !
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2017 at 21:12
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Love the music.
Hate the vocalists.
Nailed it !!

When I was recommended this album for the first time (and borrowed it), I was told the music was interesting, but the singer was rather bad (it was a recorded tape, and I believe the friend who recommended it thought Rick was the singer). However, I have gotten used to the singing, and even though it's frar from stellar, it doesn't bother me.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2017 at 21:28
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

Love the music.
Hate the vocalists.

I once read an interview in which Rick said he chose the vocalist, because they sound as medieval troubadours narrating a history with music.

My favourite RW album.  

That's a bit odd, given that they are the same singers from Journey to the Centre of the Earth, so in a way they had already been chosen previously... and I'm not sure Journey he was thinking of Medieval troubadours for Journey.
Replayer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2017 at 23:47
When I first discovered The Myths and Legends of the Round Table, I listened to Arthur so many times, I got the song stuck in my head during an exam a few days later. I like it better than Journey to the Centre of the Earth, but not as much as The Six Wives of Henry VIII.

As others here have stated, I don't care for the honky tonk parts of Merlin (I don't like Emerson's excursions in the style, either), although I can appreciate it as a showoff part at concerts. I even get these mental images of a cartoon magician casting random spells.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2017 at 23:54
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Love the music.
Hate the vocalists.

My favourite RW album.  

That's a bit odd, given that they are the same singers from Journey to the Centre of the Earth, so in a way they had already been chosen previously... and I'm not sure Journey he was thinking of Medieval troubadours for Journey.

He was asked the same question.

He said he received critics in Journey, but he thought they were perfect for Myths.

But that's what he said.

Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2017 at 20:49

Love the music.
Hate the vocalists.

My favourite RW album.  

He was asked the same question.

He said he received critics in Journey, but he thought they were perfect for Myths.

But that's what he said.

OK, that explains it perfectly. Actually, he might be right about it, specially for the Arthur track. It takes a particular kind of hard headedness to receive such critics about the bad singer on an album he just released, and just go on and use them both again on his next album. And even sticking with one of them as his main singer through the rest of his own career.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2017 at 21:11
Originally posted by Replayer Replayer wrote:

When I first discovered The Myths and Legends of the Round Table, I listened to Arthur so many times, I got the song stuck in my head during an exam a few days later. I like it better than Journey to the Centre of the Earth, but not as much as The Six Wives of Henry VIII.

As others here have stated, I don't care for the honky tonk parts of Merlin (I don't like Emerson's excursions in the style, either), although I can appreciate it as a showoff part at concerts. I even get these mental images of a cartoon magician casting random spells.

I do love that Arthur song. It must be one of my very favourite songs, actually, and my favourite Wakeman song.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2017 at 23:30

OK, that explains it perfectly. Actually, he might be right about it, specially for the Arthur track. It takes a particular kind of hard headedness to receive such critics about the bad singer on an album he just released, and just go on and use them both again on his next album. And even sticking with one of them as his main singer through the rest of his own career.

Well, Rick is stubborn.

And lets be honest, Gary Pickford was terrible, but Ashley Holt improved a lot, I heard him in Lima and Buenos Aires and he did a very nice job.

He needed two guys that could tell a story almost as narrators, and the guys did that well, The Battle in Journey is almost a narration.

Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2017 at 21:07

Well, Rick is stubborn.

And lets be honest, Gary Pickford was terrible, but Ashley Holt improved a lot, I heard him in Lima and Buenos Aires and he did a very nice job.

He needed two guys that could tell a story almost as narrators, and the guys did that well, The Battle in Journey is almost a narration.

Yeah, Ashley Holt got a lot better later on... but still (just as John Wetton for me), he had to sing songs that would suite him to sound good... or even great.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2017 at 21:41
I love Wakeman's King Arthur. I was so blown away when I bought the vinyl way back when - 1990-ish (and stoned.....) - it is a thick gatefold cover with an exciting booklet. These things meant the World to me (and still do....vinyls, not dope.....)
Didn't think it topped Journey, but close.
These days, my neice's Piano tutor borrowed this King Arthur LP from me, and asked if I was willing to sell it. Naturally, I said. " No ".
I love Merlin - it's diverse, and the honky-tonk sections just add a twist of humour for me. I think between this, Topographic, Yessongs and Journey, is about the best sounding Mini-Moog on the planet.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2017 at 20:05
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

I love Wakeman's King Arthur. I was so blown away when I bought the vinyl way back when - 1990-ish (and stoned.....) - it is a thick gatefold cover with an exciting booklet. These things meant the World to me (and still do....vinyls, not dope.....)
Didn't think it topped Journey, but close.
These days, my neice's Piano tutor borrowed this King Arthur LP from me, and asked if I was willing to sell it. Naturally, I said. " No ".
I love Merlin - it's diverse, and the honky-tonk sections just add a twist of humour for me. I think between this, Topographic, Yessongs and Journey, is about the best sounding Mini-Moog on the planet.

The thing with twists of humor on music is... usually I just don't like them. If it's humor, then it's suposed to make you laugh... and that sort of things just won't make me laugh, they will just make such things silly... and usually I don't like silly.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2017 at 20:08
By the way, has anyone around here heard the new recording of the album? How does it hold compared to the original one? Are the new songs up to the classic ones? Is there any edge lost by polishing the old songs?
maryes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2017 at 10:22

I love this álbum , my absolute detach is MerlinThe Magician.... but all songs are remarkable !!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>