41 [56.16%]
32 [43.84%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prog as a musicians music?
    Posted: March 28 2018 at 22:23
I have played instruments almost all of my life, but never called myself a musician. And about musical skills, I have always thought creativity is much more important than musical skills. With creativity and bad skills you can create interesting music, with good skills but no creativity you can´t.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2018 at 18:24
It shouldn't matter, honestly.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2017 at 18:42
Originally posted by mechanicalflattery mechanicalflattery wrote:

The only concern here is whether you have a method of separating those who love prog because they're musicians and those who became musicians because they loved prog. I'd bet many of the musicians on this forum were introduced to prog at a younger age (many here attest to having heard their first prog album during childhood) and were then inspired to study music. At what rate would trained musicians, with an ear for composition, come to appreciate prog if they had never heard a single note of the genre before?
This was my experience.  I became a prog fan first.  My Mom took me, my brother, and treated several of his friends to a Kansas concert.  One of them had a beat up acoustic guitar that he gave her for thanks.  It was the first instrument I picked up...
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2017 at 14:31
I do think a lot of musicians like prog for all the nuances and complexities. It takes everything up to the next level and gives the performers the opportunity to truly showcase their talents.

I've been a drummer for over 30 years & most of my favorite players are prog musicians.
However I know many non-musicians that love & appreciate prog rock.
Mirror Image View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2017 at 08:11
Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

I loved Beyond the Shrouded Horizon too. Wolflight, on the other hand, never really grabbed me and, like you, I kind of shrugged my shoulders and haven't attempted too many listens. Night Siren is much better from first listen onward. Also, the one he did with Djabe is really special. If you like Steve Hackett and instrumental music broadly speaking, it makes for a party. It's interesting to hear some classic Hackett re-interpreted with a Jazz flavor.

I re-listened to Wolflight a few nights ago and just turned it off. I couldn’t get through it. This album just doesn’t have the same kind of inspiration so many of his other albums have had in the past. I haven’t listened to Night Siren yet, but I probably will over the weekend. I did revisit Defector a few nights ago and really enjoyed a lot even though I never really thought badly of the album. The only 70s album of his that didn’t grab me was Please Don’t Touch, although the second half of the album is much better than the first IMHO. Icarus Ascending has to be one of the greatest closers I’ve heard.

Edited by Mirror Image - May 27 2017 at 08:13
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2017 at 07:57
Originally posted by Mirror Image Mirror Image wrote:

Thanks for your feedback, HackettFan. I’m certainly looking forward to finally buckling down and listening to Night Sirens. How’s that album Summer Storms and Rocking Rivers? I just bought that DVD The Man, The Music. Really looking forward to watching it. Of the more recent Hackett albums, I have to say that Beyond the Shrouded Horizon really knocked me out. I haven’t really given Wolflight much of a chance, but I’m going to be giving it another listen as soon as I hear Night Siren.
I loved Beyond the Shrouded Horizon too. Wolflight, on the other hand, never really grabbed me and, like you, I kind of shrugged my shoulders and haven't attempted too many listens. Night Siren is much better from first listen onward. Also, the one he did with Djabe is really special. If you like Steve Hackett and instrumental music broadly speaking, it makes for a party. It's interesting to hear some classic Hackett re-interpreted with a Jazz flavor.

Edited by HackettFan - May 23 2017 at 08:02
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2017 at 00:15
In the old days, a musician was a composer. Prog is certainly a music of composer.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2017 at 22:26

Sorry for my delayed response I'd been working on building a storage building all day. I think Night Siren is pretty darn good. He seems to be showing a lot of enthusiasm in his soloing, moving about pretty freely with a lot of left hand action. Lots of time devoted to instrumental sections too. I'm not sure about my favorite track, but it might very likely be El Niño. My only criticism is that he uses synth sounds that strike me as bland atmospheric washes, which unfortunately suck away a bit of the impact at times, but it's only temporary. I've also been listening lately to Steve Hackett with Djabe - Summer Storms & Rocking Rivers, and also to his DVD biography, Steve Hackett - The Man the Music. All great stuff.

Thanks for your feedback, HackettFan. I’m certainly looking forward to finally buckling down and listening to Night Sirens. How’s that album Summer Storms and Rocking Rivers? I just bought that DVD The Man, The Music. Really looking forward to watching it. Of the more recent Hackett albums, I have to say that Beyond the Shrouded Horizon really knocked me out. I haven’t really given Wolflight much of a chance, but I’m going to be giving it another listen as soon as I hear Night Siren.

“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2017 at 22:04

Good to hear from you! It seems like it's been far too long.

Thanks, it’s great to see you’re still kicking around on here, too, HackettFan. I know this question will cause a disturbance in the thread, but what did you think of the new Hackett album, Night Sirens?
Sorry for my delayed response I'd been working on building a storage building all day. I think Night Siren is pretty darn good. He seems to be showing a lot of enthusiasm in his soloing, moving about pretty freely with a lot of left hand action. Lots of time devoted to instrumental sections too. I'm not sure about my favorite track, but it might very likely be El Niño. My only criticism is that he uses synth sounds that strike me as bland atmospheric washes, which unfortunately suck away a bit of the impact at times, but it's only temporary. I've also been listening lately to Steve Hackett with Djabe - Summer Storms & Rocking Rivers, and also to his DVD biography, Steve Hackett - The Man the Music. All great stuff.
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2017 at 23:44

Thanks, it’s great to see you’re still kicking around on here, too, HackettFan. I know this question will cause a disturbance in the thread, but what did you think of the new Hackett album, Night Sirens?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2017 at 23:39

This poll and the initial message from the OP asks two different questions. I’ll also rephrase one of the questions.

Question #1: Can prog music only be appreciated by musicians?

The answer is a resounding “NO”! I have several friends who aren’t musicians that love progressive music. As with anything in music, it boils down to the individual listener and what they’re drawn to and get the most enjoyment out of.

Question #2: Are you a musician?

Yep, I’ve been playing the guitar for 20+ years. I started off playing percussion in the school band but was always interested in the guitar early on.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2017 at 19:45
This poll and the initial message from the OP asks two different questions. I’ll also rephrase one of the questions.

Question #1: Can prog music only be appreciated by musicians?

The answer is a resounding “NO”! I have several friends who aren’t musicians that love progressive music. As with anything in music, it boils down to the individual listener and what they’re drawn to and get the most enjoyment out of.

Question #2: Are you a musician?

Yep, I’ve been playing the guitar for 20+ years. I started off playing percussion in the school band but was always interested in the guitar early on.
Kepler62 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2017 at 19:33
I can play and sing Lucky Man, The Wizard ( Uriah heep ) and do a good fake version of No Lullaby by JT on guitar. Depends on the song. Not all progressive rock is all that complex. 

Thatfabulousalien View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2017 at 18:35
Prog as music
Classical music isn't dead, it's more alive than it's ever been. It's just not on MTV.

https://www.soundcloud.com/user-322914325
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2017 at 18:13
I wish.

UselessPassion View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2017 at 17:13
To answer the first question, I'm a musician. Classical piano training from age 5, recently took up drums. I've been composing as a serious hobby for about fifteen years. Honest assessment: I'm still terrible at all of it.

As for the second implied question, anyone can learn to appreciate progressive music but I believe musicians are more likely to latch onto it readily. As for why this might be, musicians are taught that they must be willing to accept constant challenge, discomfort and the unexpected in order to grow and find their musical identity. It makes sense that musicians would seek out and devour prog by the boatload because they've been trained to favor novelty as part of the learning process and subsequently derive pleasure from the unknown. Prog is filled with novelty, left, right, front and center, sometimes for no other reason than 'why not?' Some acts are essentially puzzle boxes (don't call it 'experimental' for nothing) which can be really fun for aspiring musicians to get into, if only because it's fun to analyze and unravel complex patterns. Progressive music is great intellectual w**kery, basically, and the poll seems to agree that many passionate followers of it are musicians rather than non, although admittedly not by a wide margin.

I also recall reading a study (likely flawed, interesting nonetheless) indicating that OCD occurs at a much higher rate in musicians than non. Irrational obsession may play a key part in lending someone the patience to sit through a 30 minute song with no melody that may or may not be about the fall of Atlantis or a time traveling alien messiah with a glowing dong.

I'm definitely not saying non-musicians can't enjoy prog authentically. Many of them do for a number of reasons. Exposure in childhood may have simply formed a preference complexity and the unexpected. But a musician, good, bad or ugly will always be primed to appreciate most music faster than a non-musician by virtue of education. Doesn't make us superior, doesn't make prog fans 'smarter' or any other ego affirming nonsense. Just means it seems to naturally resonate with people who have a musical education.

I'll be quiet now.

Edited for length and pretension. Smoked too much grass, got lost, forgot to answer question, etc.

Edited by UselessPassion - May 23 2017 at 15:39
[Hyperreflective paradigm breaking profundity goes here]
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2017 at 08:03
I ama music yes

***link below***
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2017 at 15:29
Yes. I had three periods. I studied guitar when I was in first grade and before I got interested in Prog. I was unsuccessful, probably due to my guitar being unplayable. (I just learned that Steve Hackett had a similar experience, corrected when he got ahold of a nylon guitar). I studied guitar heavily in my late teens and throughout my 20s with a great deal of success. I got quite good. I played something perhaps akin to endless Space Rock improvisations. I quit cold turkey eventually, because it never evolved into a vocation and drained time away from other things. I took it up again several years ago. I am quite advanced at this point.

I was already a Prog fan before guitar really took hold. However, I think it affected what and how I got excited about as I sought out other Prog. I had no interest in Jazz until I got good with guitar in my 20s. I was actively disinterested in Classical until I picked up guitar again in my mid-life period. Now I regularly listen to and enjoy Classical music.

A_Flower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2017 at 07:51
No.

I play flute in my high school band, but I am not a really super talented musician. I listen to prog all the time everyday! And as questioned earlier in this forum, for me, I got into playing music because I loved prog. Also, if you were to consider prog being a musician's genre, then you would probably have to do the same with classical being the parent musician. I know plenty of people who enjoy classical but don't play anything. As before-mentioned, prog is a music lover's genre rather then a musician's genre
User Banned for this Post
WaterSnake View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2017 at 13:31
Originally posted by Progosopher Progosopher wrote:

I also just read to the actual question.  Yes, I am a musician, but I voted no because I do not think Prog is merely musicians music.  The header and the poll question are two different issues.

You don't seem to understand the purpose of this. I'm trying to do some simple research to see the percentage of prog listeners whom are musicians and comparing that with the fanbases of other genres, that doesn't mean I think that prog is for musicians and that non-musicians can't listen to it. The title was just to get peoples attention, and to make conversation in the comments, I thought people wouldn't have trouble separating that and the painfully simple question presented to them, but clearly I was wrong. 

I encourage anyone to give prog a chance, there are no requirements for someone to enjoy experiencing something, I merely think that those who train their musical mind potentially have a better chance of not being overwhelmed by the onslaught of genius that is prog. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>