Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGenesis' Seconds Out hits the big 40 this year

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2017 at 21:21
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I should love this album, since I really prefer Phill's singing to Gabriel's... and in general I do prefer his singing on this album too, but there are a few things that just pull it down. Somehow the choices of songs from the post Gabriel albums are not the ones that I would have prefered. On the other hand, I wish they were all songs with Bill Bruford on drums, instead of only one or two. I remember hearing the video "Genesis Live" or something, with great versions on it (but with it's own problems, like having the best songs, Supper's Ready and Cinema Show truncated to only their second halfs, rendering the video almost useless for enjoyment), and I did like what I could hear of this versions better than the ones on Seconds Out, as far as I remember. Then, I guess it would have been great if the band could have tried and convinced to have Steve's brother to come and play flute for them on the tour, for Gabriel's flute is indeed missing from a few songs. The already mentioned toned down gutiar also damages the versions of this songs. Though Supper's Ready is in general better (for me) than the original, the Willow's Farm section just destroys the song. And Firth of Fifth without the Piano Intro just sinks it down a few points (besides the already mentioned lack of flute).

What? Too much overanalized?
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2017 at 21:23
Originally posted by Mormegil Mormegil wrote:

Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

Mindblowing Cinema Show.

Totally agree!

I do love this version of Cinema Show. For me, Phil's vocals suite it much better, since they are softer, just as the song, and the instrumental section with the double drums and all is wonderful. But I do miss the short flute part (replaced by recordings of birds here), and the guitar sounds weaker (or was mixed lower), which does hurt the song.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2017 at 02:45
I think the Seconds Out versions of Cinema Show and Firth of Fifth are better than the originals, although Firth obviously misses the wonderful piano intro from the original.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12