Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGentle Giant

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gentle Giant
    Posted: April 23 2017 at 15:52
I like Giant For A Day. When I am in the mood for something less progressive, it fits the bill quite nicely.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2017 at 12:31
What about the Big 4 ??
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2017 at 09:48
Thumbs Up
DDPascalDD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2017 at 09:28
^Ah okay, then I get your point now, and of course you're right. In my head I subconsciously made up my own meaning of the Big 6... I guess GG did indeed have little impact when compared to ELP, Yes etc.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2017 at 06:43
Originally posted by DDPascalDD DDPascalDD wrote:

Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

^ not in the next 6?  huh.. well they probably are idiots haha....  of course they are in the 2nd division. with only the possible exception of Magma.. they are greatest of the cult bands and the output rivals all but the very top of the big 6.  What keeps them out is not the music or albums..  it is the lack of popular exposure..or success.. which for a popularizing a niche genre is extremely important.

Hmmm... So if a prog band is not popular and doesn't have great commercial succes, it can't be in the top 6/ a "1st division" band?
If that's right, I can't see the purpose of your system.

you don't....  quality is subjective...  one can easily make a case that any of the big 5 in Italy were better than many of the big 6. What is not subjective is measuring the bands impact and influence on the genre.  That is why musically imature bands like Genesis or dead boring groups like Dull are and should be in the so called Big 6. Like them, enjoy them or not.. their impact on the genre is undeniable and yes...  part of that measure is success. Few bands were as revolutionary as ..say the VU that probably only sold 300 albums yet could claim that every single buyer then went out and formed a band... if you ain't selling them and getting your music out.. then you are not influencing and impacting. Especially as I noted.. for a niche genre whose appeal could easily be limited to a very limited subset of the overall listening population.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2017 at 19:32
Giant For A Day was too 'generic'. A dumbed-down Giant who couldn't cut it with simplicity. Or maybe it was the absolutely stoopid 'cut out the picture and put on your mask and be a giant for a day' cover. And the pointless b&w photos on the back which were senseless. And Kerry must've sold most of his rig and just kept the pianos. That's probably it ; the music became all black and white, instead of the colourful palette offered on previous albums, and regained to an extent, for the following Civilian album, which I like a lot.
Kepler62 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2017 at 19:25
^
Ah ha  ! one of the knowing ones. Anyone who completely understands Gentle Giant will measure the band's music against other GG music. Every true Gentle Giant fan that I have ever met and I've met a few ( in person, not as an electronic entity ) will like every GG album perhaps not equally but I've never heard anyone say anything like  " after The Missing Piece or Giant For A Day that was the end". There's a lot of great stuff on the three last albums that still embraced GGs singular approach . I loved Civilian on first listen when it came out in early 1980 and still throw it on the turntable as much as I do say, Fee Hand. They were still playing a combination of old and new material on the 1980 tour to enthusiastic audiences.  Just one of the finest bands ever. 

Edited by Kepler62 - April 22 2017 at 19:28
Rick5A View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2017 at 17:46
Incredible band.  They are probably my 2nd favorite ever after Yes with Crimson #3.  Giant for a Day is the weakest album to me, but even that has a number of songs I like.  I love every other album - even Civilian. 
ClaudeV View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2017 at 10:52
I prefer GG much more than ELP. For me ELP is dead last on the list of british prog bands of that era.

Edited by ClaudeV - April 18 2017 at 10:53
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2017 at 23:59
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

^ not in the next 6?  huh.. well they probably are idiots haha....  of course they are in the 2nd division. with only the possible exception of Magma.. they are greatest of the cult bands and the output rivals all but the very top of the big 6.  What keeps them out is not the music or albums..  it is the lack of popular exposure..or success.. which for a popularizing a niche genre is extremely important.

Hmmm... So if a prog band is not popular and doesn't have great commercial succes, it can't be in the top 6/ a "1st division" band?
If that's right, I can't see the purpose of your system.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2017 at 22:20
Originally posted by grantman grantman wrote:

listen to the 1st album it took about 12 listens it became the best album as far as im concerned.

12 listens only! Took me 12 years...

Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2017 at 20:46
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I want to say that progarchives is maybe the only prog site I'm aware of where the members don't put GG right behind the most obvious bands or in the big six. I asked this before and several members on here seem to lump them in with everyone else that isn't the most obvious band. Imo though they are just behind KC in terms of over all popularity among prog fans and importance. 

I have had the impression people around here really love Gentle Giant... some others, of course, may not like them so much, just as not everyone love Yes, or Genesis, or King Crimson, or any of the other big ones. In general, I am under the impression that Gentle Giant, Van Der Graaf Generator, and Camel are loved just about as much as the rest of the big 6 (I guess they would be prefered over ELP around here nowdays, actually).
ClaudeV View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2017 at 18:43
Very good band, but often with the downside of many prog artists which is searching complexity and originality more than the best possible song. Nonetheless I like them.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2017 at 16:36
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2017 at 13:05
I want to say that progarchives is maybe the only prog site I'm aware of where the members don't put GG right behind the most obvious bands or in the big six. I asked this before and several members on here seem to lump them in with everyone else that isn't the most obvious band. Imo though they are just behind KC in terms of over all popularity among prog fans and importance. 
Pastmaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2017 at 12:57
Gentle Giant is one of my all time favorite bands, and perhaps the best prog band as far as I'm concerned. They were one of the few prog bands to have both the complexity and the beauty and melody to mix perfectly. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2017 at 07:53
Since the point that I heard anything of them (almost a year ago), it has become and stayed my favourite band. It is also the only band I could get someone else listening to, a good friend really loved quite some pieces of them, and that is for a reason:
The thing that most distinguishes prog from rock, is composition; daring, ambitious composition. They're not only the masters of making the most complex and creative compositions. They also are the only band who tried and succeeded in making their songs both complex and romantic. No other artist ever comes close, even if you're looking at classical composers, if you ask me. That makes it not only the best prog band for me, but they also have great meaning in music history in a broad historic point of view.

Complexity became indeed a little too dominant after Phil left, but they never went too off the road, Interview is still a masterpiece and has very emotional passages. I'm trying to reach for the same kind of thing in own compositions, but it's so, so difficult, making them both very complex and emotional at the same time. I've never heard counterpoint so intriguing as in Empty City, a true accomplishment.
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2017 at 06:03
I haven't written a review in a long time, but my favorite review I ever wrote here was this one.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2017 at 05:12
Octopus was my first GG LP back in the mid-90's. Tracked down all of their LP's thereafter (took me a couple of years). Only GFAD disappointed. I actually bought it on 2 occasions, only to get rid of it both times. Civilian was much better, on par with The Missing Piece.
Kepler62 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2017 at 04:38
Funny how a lot of people don't really like Giant For A Day. They actually played this album on FM radio in my hometown back in the seventies. I remember the title track being played often. I had a friend that liked it so I told him that it gets better and lent him some of my earlier GG albums and he became a GG fanatic to this day. Since I am a fanatic myself anything that I say here will be completely subjective. my first Gentle Giant album was Octopus. I actually bought it for the Roger Dean cover and had to pay import price for it. Back then in Canada you were paying about $15 for imports while new domestic releases ran about $6.50. I remember In A Glass House sold like hotcakes and I had to wait for months to get my paws on a copy that I finally picked up a copy in New York City. The Earth will never see a band that can match their originality. I never even considered them to be a progressive rock band. For me they are THE band.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>