FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedProg = Art

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prog = Art
    Posted: April 15 2017 at 20:44
There was a poll studying prog as an art. Kind of silly if you ask me... prog, sorry music, in general, is an art.

If art is anything that someone creates or anything that induces emotion, music is without a doubt exactly that. People create it; others listen to to it, and it influences their mood. It surely influences most artists' moods - the ones that aren't trying to just make money. But man, money influences peoples' moods... so no matter how you look at it, music is art.

A completely different question would be what music is the most artiest... Mention any bands or musicians and explain their connection to their music and/or the awesome ways that they made it.

The Blue Man Group is art - they give entertainment, a show, etc. 
King Crimson is art - the patterns Robert Fripp plays and his separate Frippertronics are awesome and proved revolutionary. A lot of trial and error and innovation there... you can look at it anyway you want.

Make whatever you want out of this discussion... It is pretty awesome if you ask me... all art; the concept of just having and creating art. It is impossible to put words to, and I guess sometimes that is the point.
https://gamecrazyprofessional.weebly.com/
Thatfabulousalien View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2017 at 21:09
Art is just human expression through a medium, I don't get the stipulation of the term "art" used to comment on perceived "quality" or "authenticity" in a work, which is subjective anyway. Why is it such a controversial topic? I don't get it
Classical music isn't dead, it's more alive than it's ever been. It's just not on MTV.

https://www.soundcloud.com/user-322914325
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2017 at 00:25
Apart from yourself, I don't recall anyone making any connection between "art" and "quality" Josh.

Edited by Dean - April 16 2017 at 00:26
What?
2dogs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2017 at 06:45
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Apart from yourself, I don't recall anyone making any connection between "art" and "quality" Josh.

I think this went out of fashion in the actual Art world some time in the 20th Century Wink.
"There is nothing new except what has been forgotten" - Marie Antoinette
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2017 at 07:09
Music is art, no question about it. How art divides and subdives itself, if it is considered good or bad, contemporary or retro, inventive or trendy etc, is up to the people who critique/classify it.
mlkpad14 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2017 at 07:27
Originally posted by 2dogs 2dogs wrote:

I think this went out of fashion in the actual Art world some time in the 20th Century Wink.

Correct.
mlkpad14 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2017 at 07:30
Originally posted by Thatfabulousalien Thatfabulousalien wrote:

Art is just human expression through a medium, I don't get the stipulation of the term "art" used to comment on perceived "quality" or "authenticity" in a work, which is subjective anyway. Why is it such a controversial topic? I don't get it

Art has nothing to do with the quality of a work. 

It is a big topic because no one can decide on what it is, and it is interesting to think of what has been made as an art. By artier I meant what had the most emotion or creativity attached to it, or what made us think differently about our atmosphere, any topic, conception, etc.
andreol263 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2017 at 09:20
Simply putting, every piece of music is art, and the quality of it is given by the subjectivity of who is listening.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2017 at 18:47
I agree. Music in general is art. That's why the musicians are called "artists." Art doesn't just have to be visual artists. Anyway, the person who first told me about the band Gentle Giant compared them to an abstract painter who would just throw all the paint at the canvas. Lol. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - April 18 2017 at 18:47
mlkpad14 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2017 at 19:30
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I agree. Music in general is art. That's why the musicians are called "artists." Art doesn't just have to be visual artists. Anyway, the person who first told me about the band Gentle Giant compared them to an abstract painter who would just throw all the paint at the canvas. Lol. 

That is exactly what I said...?

I'm talking about music being art... the point of this was discussion I guess XD.
Thatfabulousalien View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2017 at 19:47

I've come across many people in the past (not on this site) who seem to think that, which I find is absurd but everyone on this thread seems to get the idea pretty well Smile
Classical music isn't dead, it's more alive than it's ever been. It's just not on MTV.

https://www.soundcloud.com/user-322914325
 Post Reply Post Reply