Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedalan parsons ( the turn of a friendly card )

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: alan parsons ( the turn of a friendly card )
    Posted: April 19 2017 at 14:54
Thanks for reading this review of alan parsons (the turn of a friendly card)deluxe anniversary edition it is 2 cds filled with music and outakes and demos and singles from the album. Although i am not i repeat am not a huge fan of alan parsons project this edition of the album is simply stunning,moveover the songs and concept are so different than other progressive concept albums the best song i feel is Nothing left lose the rocker is MAY BE A PRICE TO PAY also the masterwork is of course TIME .The 2nd cd is eric wooflson,s song writing or composition work is really heartbreaking at times ,overall very great investment for a piece of the alan parsons project .I do not gain any profit or payoff for this review ,i just enjoy looking back at excellent progressive work by different artistes.   

Edited by grantman - April 19 2017 at 14:55
Steve Wyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2017 at 14:09
As a long time fan of APP, I would rank The Turn of a Friendly Card as a mid-level album: far from the best, but certainly not the worst. It's an important album for them as it gave Eric Woolfson his first lead vocal. I always enjoy listening to this one, but I greatly prefer I Robot, Pyramid, Eye in the Sky, Stereotomy, and Freudiana.
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2017 at 15:49
I tend to agree with the mid-level view as well. I Robot, Pyramids, Tales, Eye... All had the edge on it - but there is some good stuff on it too and I might check out the extras for any hidden treasure based on what's been implied. I know to many that APP is rather mainstream soft rock/pop - but I always saw the charm, catchy songs and prog overtones with some affection over the years - and some of the guest vocals on the classic hits are very good indeed.
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2017 at 16:15
I like Pyramid a lot but mostly with APP you are better off with a good compilation I feel. He did well to distil prog for a mainstream audience at a time when prog was becoming a dirty word.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2017 at 20:49
^ And which is a good compilation from APP? I feel many of my favourite pieces would be missing from their compilations.
 Post Reply Post Reply