2 [4.88%]
5 [12.20%]
17 [41.46%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2017 at 13:33
^Indeed! Of the choices given, Kraftwerk's is an indisputable classic. (Not that the others aren't, but...)
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2017 at 15:59
I, Robot of course.
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2017 at 21:21
Originally posted by Matti Matti wrote:

Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

By the way, have you got any idea if there's actually any connection between Alan Parson's "I Robot" album, and the book by Asimov? I actually haven't found much of a connection there. And have you read any more Asimov? Or are you just startig with "The Caves of Steel"? I actually think "The Foundation" series of books are much better than the Robot ones, but there are some nice connections on Foundation that are nice if you read the Robot ones before.

I've read The End of Eternity and The Foundation (just the first part), plus a couple of short stories.
   The APP album I Robot  is indeed inspired by the Asimov's book:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Robot_(album)

Not having read the book I'm not the one to point out more detailed connections.
'I Wouldn't Want to be Like You' - is it a robot's comment to a human or vice versa?

Well, I guess this explains it a bit better. Parsons wanted to do the album about Asimov's book, but couldn't get the rights, so he just used the book as a thematic inspiration, but didn't really do the stories themselves.

And why didn't you finish reading The Foundation? Did you find it boring or something? On the other hand, I don't recall The End of Eternity. And about that song, since it doesn't seem to be based on any particular story from the book, I guess the answer should be looked for on the lyrics themselves... yet I guess it's more likely that it's a robot's comment to a human.

Edited by Dellinger - April 23 2017 at 21:26
Matti View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2017 at 00:06
^  Right, Dellinger, naturally it must be the robot's comment. (Haven't listened to the song for ages and don't remember the lyrics, but of course the answer is obvious when you think about it.)

The Foundation was OK, if not the best ever SF I've read, I may continue the (original) trilogy someday.
b_olariu View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2017 at 00:10
Steve Hackett, 'Mechanical Bride'Clap
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2017 at 07:41
Alan Parsons' I Robot.
Welcome to the middle of the film.
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2017 at 08:33
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2017 at 10:12
Originally posted by zravkapt zravkapt wrote:

Other

boom
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2017 at 15:26
Steve Hackett- Mechanical Bride
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2017 at 20:15

^  Right, Dellinger, naturally it must be the robot's comment. (Haven't listened to the song for ages and don't remember the lyrics, but of course the answer is obvious when you think about it.)

The Foundation was OK, if not the best ever SF I've read, I may continue the (original) trilogy someday.

I guess it depends on how much you want to delve into Asimov's Robots/Empire/Foundation universe, but I guess you should at least finish reading the Robots trilogy, and then go for the Foundation trilogy... or the whole series of Foundation books (it's 2 prequels, the original Foundation trilogy, and then a few more Foundation books added after the trilogy). In general I did love them, though I haven't explored the genre so much as to be able to say they are my favourite Sci Fi. I think the Foundation books were better than the Robot ones... specially Caves of Steel shows Asimov was just beginning as a writer (I feel the case, and more so the way the investigation goes and the way the murder was solved rather naive and sub-developed, though the next books were better in that aspect). Or if you would want to go deeper, you could also go with the Empire books (including the one in the middle, Robots and Empire), still this ones were shorter and, I think, usually dismissed (it was harder for me to get them, actually, though I didn't dislike them at all). But then, even though reading the Robots books before the Foundation gives you nice surprises and references to find in the Foundation books, the great mystery of the last Foundation book would be ruined if you read the Empire ones first... specially Robots and Empire. However, I guess once you finish The Caves of Steel you may decide if you want to go on with the rest of the Robot books... and if you read the other Robot books you may know how much more you may want to read of the series of books (if any more).
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2017 at 20:27

Oh yeah, on the other hand, about the "I wouldn't want to be like you" thing, it reminds me about a short story... I think it's actually from the I Robot book, about a robot passing as a human and becoming Prime Minister or something, so he can do the best in the government any other human could do. Though I think there must have ended up being some circuit damage given the 3 laws, and the necessity of choosing actions that would do some harm even if they are for the greater good (it's too long ago, so I may be inventing or mixing some things up). Then there's the bicentenary man story (or something like that) about a robot that wanted to be as human as possible... upgrading himself in order to achieve that... in the end, given that he could "live" for much longer than any human, there was one human thing left for him to do (can you guess that one?). And those robots were not nearly as advanced as Daneel Olivaw. So, in general, I can rather remember Asimov stories about robots wanting to pass as humans, rather than not wanting to.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2017 at 01:14
Henrik Lundqvist is an android.
Raccoon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2017 at 03:43
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

Originally posted by zravkapt zravkapt wrote:

Other

boom

I've been SO thankful I've bought all of Bungle's albums recently.. (got each CD copy for $4.25 at my local shop!!) 
If this were a few years back, I'd easily recommend I Robot from APP.

But with the new discovery of this insane band they call 'Mr. Bungle', it's gonna be that song on... 
   Mr. Bungle            
C A L I F O R N I A
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12