Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFive Doggy Tales

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Would you choose one that you like?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
2 [28.57%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [14.29%]
1 [14.29%]
1 [14.29%]
2 [28.57%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Five Doggy Tales
    Posted: April 24 2017 at 12:07
These are the first five dog-themed films that I like to spring to my mind. Feel free to vote for any that you have seen and liked.

Doggy films is not a category I tend to seek out, but I happened to enjoy all of these. The Plague Dogs has been a favourite book of mine and a favourite animated film. I love all of the Christopher Guest and company mockumentaries (Spinal Tap, Waiting for Guffman, Best in Show, A Mighty Wind). Cujo, while not being a favourite King novel of mine is a good film, I think. Baxter is a terrific French film, I think, that had a big effect on me. That said, I'm voting for A Boy and His Dog.

Edited by Logan - April 24 2017 at 12:46
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2017 at 10:47
Haven't actually seen any of the options listed, but when I think legendary dog movies, there can only be one:

LOL
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2017 at 12:15
Air Bud was actually one of the first to come to my mind, and Lassie. :)

Inicidentally, Mad Max was inspired by A Boy and His Dog.

Here's brief descriptions of each taken from imdb.com:

A Boy and His Dog (based on the novel by Harlan Ellison):

Quote A post-apocalyptic tale based on a novella by Harlan Ellison. A boy communicates telepathically with his dog as they scavenge for food and sex, and they stumble into an underground society where the old society is preserved. The daughter of one of the leaders of the community seduces and lures him below, where the citizens have become unable to reproduce because of being underground so long. They use him for impregnation purposes, and then plan to be rid of him. Written by Ed Sutton.

Baxter (based on the novel Hell Hound by Ken Greenhall):

Quote Her daughter Florence gives Mrs. Deville bull-terrier Baxter as a surprise present. Although she's afraid of him, she doesn't want to give him away because she feels lonely. But Baxter has his own ideas - he longs to be dominated, to be challenged - and so he isn't content with his boring life with the old lady. To get rid of her, he causes an accident. It works, and he's given to the neighbors, a young couple. He's happy... for a while. When they get a baby, he again takes action. Written by Tom Zoerner.

The Plague Dogs (based on a novel by Richard Adams of Watership Down fame) :

Quote An animated adaptation of Richard Adams' novel, about a pair of dogs (Snitter and Rowf) who escape from a research laboratory and try to survive in the wild with the help of a cunning fox (The Tod). The lab director tries to keep the escape quiet, but as an increasing number of sheep are found killed, word leaks out, together with rumours that the dogs might be plague carriers... Written by Michael Brooke.

Best in Show:

Quote The owners (and handlers) of five show dogs head for the Mayflower Kennel Club Dog Show. A film crew interviews them as they prepare for the trip, arrive at Philly's Taft Hotel, and compete. From Florida come the Flecks: she keeps running into old lovers. A wordless ancient in a wheelchair and his buxom trophy wife who may have a thing for the dog's handler own the two-time defending best in show, a poodle. From the piney woods of N.C. comes a fella who wants to be a ventriloquist. High-strung DINKs feud loudly in front of their Weimaraner. Two outré gay men from Tribeca round out the profiled owners. The dog show brings out the essence of the humans. Who will be best in show? Written by <[email protected]>

Cujo (based on the novel by Stephen King):

Quote Donna Trenton is a frustrated suburban housewife whose life is a turmoil after her husband learns about her having an affair. Brett Camber is a young boy whose only companion is a Saint-Bernard named "Cujo", who in turn is bitten by a rabid bat. Whilst Vic, Donna's husband is away on business, and thinking over his marital troubles, Donna and her 5-year-old son Tad take her Pinto to Brett Cambers' dad's car shop... the car fails, and "Cujo" is very, very sick... Written by Miguel Cane.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2017 at 15:39
SHERMAN!!!!!

A summary from the relationship between sherman and penny from the movie   mr peabody and sherman,,with the song true love by pink,,enjoy it! Description from hdwalls.xyz. I searched for this on bing.com/images

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2017 at 16:59
hahaha.. easy vote here

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

A Badass and His Bass (based on the novel by Harlan Ellison):

Quote A male fantasy based on a novella by Harlan Ellison based upon the fantasies of the Big Mick. A hard drinking ass kicking tough guy communicates telepathically with his Rickenbacker bass as they scavenge for food and sex, and they stumble into an underground society where the old society is preserved. The redheaded daughter of one of the leaders of the community seduces and lures him below, where the citizens have become unable to reproduce because of being underground so long. They use him for impregnation purposes, and then ..... he lives happily ever after ...

Edited by micky - April 25 2017 at 17:00
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2017 at 17:08
Balto

Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2017 at 22:43
No other can compare....

See, it's funny, cos they kinda look like eachother - it works on so many levels!
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2017 at 23:13
All Dogs Go to Heaven

Edited by Icarium - April 25 2017 at 23:14
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2017 at 11:17
Tougher poll than I anticipated.

I love Harlan's novella A Boy and His Dog. I also love LQ Jones' film adaptation of said novella (and I believe Harlan does, too).

Richard Adams' book The Plague Dogs is one of my favorite novels. The animated film is a tear-jerker in that it's not the balanced tale that is related in the book. It's much bleaker. But it's so unique. I prefer it to Watership Down.

Then there's Cujo, which is a great straightforward suspense-horror yarn.

It's a tie between Ellison and Adams, but I won't vote.

(And how is Benji not in this poll? LOL)
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2017 at 17:19
^ Very nice. :) Great to see another admirer of both the Ellison and Adams adaptations.

Harlan liked the adaptation overall, but requested changes in the dialogue (he raised the funds to make changes since it was very low budget as he originally found Blood too cruel to the woman in the film, as I recall). Originally he was to write the screenplay but got writer's block and so only got partway. What Ellison really didn't like was the dialogue at the end of the film, which he called "moronic, hateful chauvinist last line, which I despise." I love that "Well I'd say she certainly had marvelous judgement, Albert, if not particularly good taste" line. In fact, it's one of my favourite film quotes.

And as for Benji, he'd make a dog's breakfast of this poll. ;)

"Hair of the dog that bit me, Lloyd"

Edited by Logan - April 26 2017 at 17:20
aglasshouse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2017 at 17:25
Oscars all around
http://fryingpanmedia.com
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2017 at 17:38
^ Lugwig van would roll over ... in his grave.

Edited by Logan - April 26 2017 at 17:39
 Post Reply Post Reply