Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIs Foxtrot Underated?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2018 at 10:56
oh and I'd say underrated by me.. overrated by most of you all.  The album did get me a speeding ticket.. and that earns some serious Mickpoints which I don't highlight enough.. but the album is bitchslapped by about 100 other albums in terms of quality, impact, influence, and performance and for that.. damn sure it is overrated
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2018 at 11:02
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

oh and I'd say underrated by me.. overrated by most of you all.  The album did get me a speeding ticket.. and that earns some serious Mickpoints which I don't highlight enough.. but the album is bitchslapped by about 100 other albums in terms of quality, impact, influence, and performance and for that.. damn sure it is overrated

Damn! What track were you speeding to?

Also, what in your opinion are some more important, higher quality, more impactful, influential recording performances? Not trolling, genuinely curious on your insight!

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Larkstongue41 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2018 at 11:07
^ He'd probably recommend Il Balleto Di Bronzo's Ys first (and RPI in general), an album that probably gets him in police car chases if Genesis makes him get speeding tickets LOL.
"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2018 at 11:09
oh come on now.. what ONE track on that album might lead me to speed...

I suppose I could come up with a list. I'll think about it over beer and pizza with the better half and post them later on.

However question stands.. meet me half way...  honest question. I love good discussion and there are so few 'thinkers' here.  What in your opinion makes that album important.. I get that people like it..  tastes are tastes.. but I am one of the few (apparently hahah) progggers that sees nothing special nor important about the album.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2018 at 11:14

oh come on now.. what ONE track on that album might lead me to speed...

I suppose I could come up with a list. I'll think about it over beer and pizza with the better half and post them later on.

However question stands.. meet me half way...  honest question. I love good discussion and there are so few 'thinkers' here.  What in your opinion makes that album important.. I get that people like it..  tastes are tastes.. but I am one of the few (apparently hahah) progggers that sees nothing special nor important about the album.

I'm assuming it was Apocalypse in 9/8, but seeing as so many people voted for I Get Up, I Get Down as their favorite part of Close to The Edge, I don't anchor on any expectations on PA LOL Wink.

I think it's legendary mostly because of Supper's Ready TBH. That track is essentially perfect for me. It's right behind Close to The Edge. I don't like ELP like most do here, personally, so my tastes might be a bit different in my reasoning for loving Foxtrot.

Edited by Frenetic Zetetic - March 17 2018 at 11:15

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2018 at 11:22
 oh no.. Get em Out by Friday.. had that bitch cranked when I got pulled by the NCSP.  One of my favorite war stories.. for I actually didn't get a ticket...  he asked what my big hurry was.. told him I got lost in a f**kign Genesis song.. he laughed out loud and said.. GENESIS..  I said yes sir...  it was prog Genesis.  He just what?  I just threw my hands up and he slapped me on the back and just told me to slow down next time.

True story by the way..  so yeah.. I shouldn't be too hard on the album. I owe it one of my favorite stories about my numerous brushes with the law.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2018 at 11:27
^ Get'em Out By Friday is my favorite song from Foxtrot. :)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2018 at 11:27
That's actually a hilarious story. We don't get paid until the last one's well on his way! *red and blues flashing in rearview*

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2018 at 11:50
Beer
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2018 at 13:13
Truth is that Foxtrot got really positive reviews in 1972, reached No. 12 in UK and No. 1 in Italy.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2018 at 14:26
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

Truth is that Foxtrot got really positive reviews in 1972, reached No. 12 in UK and No. 1 in Italy.

huh.. thank you for playing.. the Genesis lovefest....but

since when...  Foxtrot was not a #1 album in Italy.  It wasn't even top 10. It reached a peak of 15 on the Italian charts.. far less than many prog bands.. and good number of non prog bands.  Zero impact even on ground zero of prog in 1972.. Italy.  sh*t.. if not for stealing Osanna's act.. they likely would have been dropped for their label for being so damn boring.

Which again is the point.. when prog bands were hitting #1 and filling stadiums.. Genesis were playing to hole in the walls and f**king pubs man.  You all may love the album.. but don't claim it is a great album.. for it has as much impact and importance as Mina's album in the world of prog.  It didn't raise Genesis to 2nd division cult band status.. they were playing and selling albums to friends and family haha and still trying to not get their label to can them for being so damn boring and yes.. unoriginal.  Hardly the stuff of greatest prog albums.. was it unappreciated. Perhaps.. along with hundreds of unappreciated albums that just happened to perhaps be better hahah.

Edited by micky - March 17 2018 at 14:28
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2018 at 14:33

Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

huh.. thank you for playing.. the Genesis lovefest....but

since when...  Foxtrot was not a #1 album in Italy.  It wasn't even top 10. It reached a peak of 15 on the Italian charts.. far less than many prog bands.. and good number of non prog bands.  Zero impact even on ground zero of prog in 1972.. Italy.  sh*t.. if not for stealing Osanna's act.. they likely would have been dropped for their label for being so damn boring.

Which again is the point.. when prog bands were hitting #1 and filling stadiums.. Genesis were playing to hole in the walls and f**king pubs man.  You all may love the album.. but don't claim it is a great album.. for it has as much impact and importance as Mina's album in the world of prog.  It didn't raise Genesis to 2nd division cult band status.. they were playing and selling albums to friends and family haha and still trying to not get their label to can them for being so damn boring and yes.. unoriginal.  Hardly the stuff of greatest prog albums.. was it unappreciated. Perhaps.. along with hundreds of unappreciated albums that just happened to perhaps be better hahah.

I answered your question, and you never answered mine. List a few from this list of hundreds of bands that are better.

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2018 at 14:39
dude... I'm still digesting my pizza...  and trying to get to the point where I see one monitor... not 2 or 3.

be patient...  I'll have your list...
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2018 at 14:57
I don't care whether it's 'important' (I think that's a pretty tough bar reserved for very few albums, it's just music) or where it charted at the time of release. It's musically consistently very good and has earned a deserved reputation based retrospective analysis over the years. Personally it doesn't make my top 100 but then I'm not representative of the general prog fan.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2018 at 14:59
no 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2018 at 15:00

dude... I'm still digesting my pizza...  and trying to get to the point where I see one monitor... not 2 or 3.

be patient...  I'll have your list...

*Waits patiently* Cool

ReactioninG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2018 at 18:50
We Can't Dance is underrated. Prog Album.

Lamb Lies Down is Underrated if you want to restrict it to ole Peter Gabriel albums. Nursery Cryme and Trespass are overrated. Foxtrot and Selling England deserve their high regard.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2018 at 00:03
I believe somebodies shouldn´t write here, when they drinking beer...just made themselves ridicilous...

Have read before from the other music encyclopedias, that Nursery was already an album that started to woke commercial & critical succeess to them, but in Foxtrot they made it. Also I know Genesis was really much bigger always in Italy than UK. Wikipedia says, Foxtrot went to No.1 in Italy, information about it has taken from there by Dave Bowler & Bryan Dray from their Genesis book. Really trust this case more wikipedia, than some guy here, who tends to say whatever he wants.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2018 at 00:46
Originally posted by ReactioninG ReactioninG wrote:

Lamb Lies Down is Underrated if you want to restrict it to ole Peter Gabriel albums. Nursery Cryme and Trespass are overrated. Foxtrot and Selling England deserve their high regard.

WCD underrated? How?

Lamb is not underrated either, it's quite beloved and appreciated. 

What's wrong with Cryme and Trespass? They don't deserve the high regard? 

Edited by Cristi - March 18 2018 at 02:14
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2018 at 02:11
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Originally posted by ReactioninG ReactioninG wrote:

WCD underrated? How?

What's wrong with Cryme and Trespass? They don't deserve the high regard? 

Nursery Cryme never clicked with me personally, but We Can't Dance? Really? This thread is full of surprises, and I can't tell if people are trying to stir things up and be contrarian, or what lol.

Hell, if anything, I'd say DSoTM is way more overrated than Foxtrot ever was/is.

Edited by Frenetic Zetetic - March 18 2018 at 02:18

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>