Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhy dont many girls like prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 13>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2017 at 20:10
My female cat thinks I'm a loser.

Better get used to it, dudes.
Thatfabulousalien View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2017 at 21:37
Coincidentally I saw a thread on a classical forum asking "what aren't there any 'great' female composers?" 

This is a problem outside of just prog, the only genres where woman seem to get their just deserts is pop, country and folk. Something is really not right about that. 

Edited by Thatfabulousalien - April 28 2017 at 21:38
Classical music isn't dead, it's more alive than it's ever been. It's just not on MTV.

https://www.soundcloud.com/user-322914325
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2017 at 21:50
If you got an acoustic guitar and played Yes' And You and I for your significant other, she wouldn't be too offended right? 
Classical music isn't dead, it's more alive than it's ever been. It's just not on MTV.

Replayer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2017 at 21:58
Originally posted by Thatfabulousalien Thatfabulousalien wrote:

just deserts is pop, country and folk. Something is really not right about that. 

You mean the Freudian slip? Wink
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2017 at 00:12

Coincidentally I saw a thread on a classical forum asking "what aren't there any 'great' female composers?" 

This is a problem outside of just prog, the only genres where woman seem to get their just deserts is pop, country and folk. Something is really not right about that. 

That answer is a little more definite from the standpoint of women's standing in western culture prior to the latter half of the 20th century. It is, by extension, not so much the answer to this thread's question, but more an extension of why we insist on constantly asking the question.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2017 at 00:27
Originally posted by Replayer Replayer wrote:

just deserts is pop, country and folk. Something is really not right about that. 

You mean the Freudian slip? Wink

Oh right: LOL

uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2017 at 02:00
It's often been said that men are visually oriented (ogle) and women are... deeper (emote). I suggest finding a facebook group about some famous rock band if you haven't already. Guys bang on about riffs and stuff. Chicks prattle on (all the time) about how hot some / singer or guitarist (never the bassist, or keyboardist... and hardly ever the drummer because, y'know... the visual thing causes the emotional thing. 

At least one knows where we are with women; so predictable.

Back to my James Bond movie I think... ;)

Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2017 at 02:30
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

The female cat I am currently fostering seems to enjoy prog more than the male cat I had for many years

Sounds like you should rename the female Pussy and the male Wussy

Tongue

LOL

ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2017 at 02:37
I once dated a girl who liked Van Der Graaf Generator (although no other Prog) but she was a complete basket case. She said it was just Hamill's anguished voice that she enjoyed. Her second favourite band was Smokie. Women....?
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2017 at 02:46
I think you're all tucked ............
.............any skeletons, any skeletons, any skeletons in the closet..............
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2017 at 04:01
^ .....actually, looking back, please don't ask what that previous post was all about.......
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2017 at 08:23

Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

The female cat I am currently fostering seems to enjoy prog more than the male cat I had for many years

now that would be a fascinating detour for this thread ..  we all think we know about the differences between men and women... but male and female cats?? Who really knows what cats think.. much less female cats LOL

Her name is Catrina...discuss

*spits beer on monitor*

ahhh.. well named I suppose LOL

speaking of..  another topic far more interesting than why more women don't hang out at PA's.. which is really what these threads really boil down to.

What is the collaboration between liking prog (or hanging out at PA's if you will) and being cat fanatics.  Lord have mercy this forum is full of cat lovers. None more so than my dear wife LOLHeart

Edited by micky - April 29 2017 at 08:24
ginodi View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2017 at 10:37
My ten-year old daughter loves Prog. She has seen Ian Anderson, Steven Wilson, Dream Theater, Persephone's Dream, and a couple Pink Floyd Tribute bands. My wife likes some of it.
aglasshouse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2017 at 11:43
Different strokes for different folks. Girls'll like prog if they like it, simple as that. If the majority don't then whatever, that's fine.
http://fryingpanmedia.com
mechanicalflattery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2017 at 11:56

*spits beer on monitor*

ahhh.. well named I suppose LOL

speaking of..  another topic far more interesting than why more women don't hang out at PA's.. which is really what these threads really boil down to.

What is the collaboration between liking prog (or hanging out at PA's if you will) and being cat fanatics.  Lord have mercy this forum is full of cat lovers. None more so than my dear wife LOLHeart

Let's not go down that route, before someone inevitably tries to argue that both prog-listening and cat ownership are inextricably linked to higher intelligence and/or cultural sophistication. Surely dogs and pop music are for the plebeian masses, those that seek immediate gratification, while only the intellectual elite can understand the importance of a ten minute masturbatory keyboard solo or of an animal that stares blankly at the corner for 5 hours before tearing your couch to shreds. These are enriching experiences that the peasantry will never know, bound eternally within their own ignorance and shortsightedness. 
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2017 at 12:59
Originally posted by aglasshouse aglasshouse wrote:

Different strokes for different folks. Girls'll like prog if they like it, simple as that. If the majority don't then whatever, that's fine.
I find this level of bliss extraordinary. Maybe it's my behavioral science background, but I find that answer (not unique in this thread) to be no answer at all.

Edited by HackettFan - April 29 2017 at 13:20
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2017 at 13:14
Originally posted by mechanicalflattery mechanicalflattery wrote:

*spits beer on monitor*

ahhh.. well named I suppose LOL

What is the collaboration between liking prog (or hanging out at PA's if you will) and being cat fanatics.  Lord have mercy this forum is full of cat lovers. None more so than my dear wife LOLHeart

prog-listening and cat ownership are inextricably linked to higher intelligence and/or cultural sophistication. Surely dogs and pop music are for the plebeian masses, those that seek immediate gratification, while only the intellectual elite can understand the importance of a ten minute masturbatory keyboard solo or of an animal that stares blankly at the corner for 5 hours before tearing your couch to shreds. These are enriching experiences that the peasantry will never know, bound eternally within their own ignorance and shortsightedness. 

hah.....well said! LOLClap Submissiveness sucks.. in pets, men and women.  Dogs are for losers... anything someone can mistreat and still comes back and loves you is pathetic. LOL Any cat owner can tell you stories of how they somehow pissed off their cat and found cat sh*t on their pillow.  Now that is character man....

Don't f**k with cats.. .they rule.. they really don't deserve proggers but at least they can appreciate them and at least try to understand them.

Timdano View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2017 at 09:08
My wife likes some prog... Steven Wilson, Pineapple Thief, The Dear Hunter and Haken. But honestly, it's due to the music being prog but also very "catchy" in a commercial sense. So her ear picks up on really good songrwriting sans it being prog. Does that make sense? Off-the-charts prog to her though, "sounds like Castlevania" to which I reply, "cool".
NateHevens View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2017 at 11:04

Actually, there's a very large and growing community of women getting recognition in Blues, Punk, Grunge, and Metal as well.

To be honest, I know a lot of women who love prog. It was a group of women who introduced me to Steven Wilson and Porcupine Tree, and just a month ago, I sat down and listened to ELP's album Trilogy, on vinyl, with a group of five other people (not including me)... I was the only man in the group, and the album belonged to one of the other women (though I do own my own copy). We let the music wash over us, occasionally discussing music theory, timing, and so on in context of the songs.

Where I find the disconnect is that, no matter how hard I try, I can't find any women who play Prog.

I listen to so many women guitarists, but they all play Blues, or Folk, or Metal, or Grunge, or Punk... I'm still searching for a woman who takes her cues from David Gilmour, or Steven Wilson, or Steve Howe, or even Jimi Hendrix...

The only women guitarists I listen to who don't really play Blues, Folk, Metal, Punk, or Grunge (and that's debatable) are Ava Mendoza, Anna Calvi, Kaki King, Marnie Stern, and St. Vincent... but they aren't Prog, either. There is one guitarist who plays... not Prog, but experimental guitar... Wata from the Japanese Experimental Noise/Sludge Metal band Boris.

And while I know women who's skills on the piano are beyond amazing, they either play Classical, Pop, Rock, Blues, R&B, or Hip Hop.

Same idea with women I know who are drummers, bassists, etc. I know and/or listen to so many talented musicians who are women, yet the only women I can find in prog are vocalists... and that's it.
Great Guitar Solos - My favorite guitar solos...
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2017 at 11:10
^You should check out Japanese symph proggers Ars Nova. All girl band.
Speaking of the Japanese and women: OOIOO.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 13>