Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Semi-Contemporary Neopsych aka Dorothy's Ointment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSemi-Contemporary Neopsych aka Dorothy's Ointment

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Which one tickles your fancy the most?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [50.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [50.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Semi-Contemporary Neopsych aka Dorothy's Ointment
    Posted: April 28 2017 at 07:48
I really dig this kind of music - be that pop or rock orientated. Hints of Beach Boys vocal harmonies, The Beatles and The Stones. Some of these are more modern in their expression whilst others revel in the sounds of the past. I made this poll as a sort of recommendation to folks who enjoy this kind of stuff but for some reason are unsuccessful in their search. 

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2017 at 08:30
Very nice poll, David. I have heard quite a bit of new to me music, and returned to various ones I already liked but hadn't heard for some time since I also like such music..

I voted for Jacco Gardner's "Hypnophobia". It's a terrific song and a terrific album, I think. I almost voted for The Brian Jonestown Massacre.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2017 at 08:50
great choices...

if you had chosen Beards, Wives, Denim over Hobo Rocket I'd have chosen that.. favorite album from any of the groups.

of the choices. Lonerism.  Love that album
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2017 at 12:38
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Very nice poll, David. I have heard quite a bit of new to me music, and returned to various ones I already liked but hadn't heard for some time since I also like such music..

I voted for Jacco Gardner's "Hypnophobia". It's a terrific song and a terrific album, I think. I almost voted for The Brian Jonestown Massacre.

Nice pick. I have completely fallen for his dreamy Beatlesque style of making music. His debut is also brilliant.
That BJM album is the one that got me into their (his) new stuff. Very big fan of their 90s output but stopped buying anything from 98 forwards. Aufheben sounds great and has quite a few Krautrock influences though not as fully fledged as the most recent Don't Get Lost (I bought the double LP and haven't looked back since. My guess is you'll love it.)

Thinking about doing another one of these polls and maybe throw in a curveball or two. The above selection is very homogenous - some even sound a little samey (I'll admit it but I love the sound regardless). Methinks a little spice can go a long way.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2017 at 12:42
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

great choices...

if you had chosen Beards, Wives, Denim over Hobo Rocket I'd have chosen that.. favorite album from any of the groups.

of the choices. Lonerism.  Love that album

I'm not sure which album of theirs I love the most. Beards, Hobo and Space are all wonderfully naive feel-good albums that make me boogie, swing and rock bodaciously.
The same almost goes for Tame Impala and their first three albums but I'll give Lonerism the edge.

Edited by Guldbamsen - April 28 2017 at 12:44

- Douglas Adams
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2017 at 17:15
Yeah.. I'm a big fan of both bands and their albums.  Beards though is an easy choice for me for favorite album.. I just love the overall variety on that.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2017 at 21:02
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Nice pick. I have completely fallen for his dreamy Beatlesque style of making music. His debut is also brilliant.
That BJM album is the one that got me into their (his) new stuff. Very big fan of their 90s output but stopped buying anything from 98 forwards. Aufheben sounds great and has quite a few Krautrock influences though not as fully fledged as the most recent Don't Get Lost (I bought the double LP and haven't looked back since. My guess is you'll love it.)

Thinking about doing another one of these polls and maybe throw in a curveball or two. The above selection is very homogenous - some even sound a little samey (I'll admit it but I love the sound regardless). Methinks a little spice can go a long way.

I will definitely look to get Don't Get Lost, thanks.

Nothing wrong with a homogeneous poll, works great for people who like and know some of this to discover much more of the same ilk (as you were going for). Definitely could help people, including me, in their searches. While there's a commonality to the music here, there are pleasing differences too. Nice job.

Incidentally, Pond is another I really dig.   My brother was over here recently on a trip from Australia and he's really big on Tame Impala so we spent some time listening to it.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2017 at 08:27
yeah... big fan of both groups Greg. Really great stuff there.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2017 at 05:59
I got tripped up by the captcha yesterday and lost a magnificent post explaining the correlation between good psych, peppers and gravity. I guess it was too beautiful to see the light of day.

Speaking of Pond they have a new album out in May called The Weather. Listened to the single and it sounds great continuing in the footsteps of Man It Feels Like Space Again. Lush and dreamy synths sounding more 80s than 70s but the underneath structures such as rhythm section, guitars and pedals still feels strongly anchored in the psychedelic past.

- Douglas Adams
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2017 at 06:19
LOL that is why Spam rules... easy come.. easy go

I haven't heard that one yet...  will keep an ear out for it.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2017 at 06:20
and Captcha is getting under my f**king skin this morning...  really...  every post

AND you know it is bad when you start noticing... really noticing repeats.. .if I see that Sign Captcha with the house and electrical transformer ONE more time... I'm going to lose my sh*t.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2017 at 06:21
Spam Pam Anderson. Boobs away!

- Douglas Adams
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2017 at 20:02
The only album of these I have is Unknown Mortal Orchestra II, and I don't much care for it.  But I love Grizzly Bear's Shields.  I'll definitely be on the lookout for Veckatimest.
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2017 at 06:35
Originally posted by infocat infocat wrote:

The only album of these I have is Unknown Mortal Orchestra II, and I don't much care for it.  But I love Grizzly Bear's Shields.  I'll definitely be on the lookout for Veckatimest.
Hi Frank.
Safe to say that if you love Shields you'll love Veckatimest as well. I slightly prefer it to Shields, but it was also the first album I got from them. 

- Douglas Adams
 Post Reply Post Reply