1 [9.09%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Roy Harper vs Tyrannosaurus Rex most impact
    Posted: April 28 2017 at 09:56
Two mid to late 60s bands whom have influenced plenty of artists, whom were also hanging in the same underground scene in the early days of progressive folk music who got most early impact on prog and prog folk.

Edited by Icarium - April 28 2017 at 10:01
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2017 at 11:18
Hmm, good question. Tyrannosaurus Rex tipped the scales at 39,683lbs, Roy Harper probably less than 170lbs. Accounting for wind direction and other prevailing weather conditions I'd say that Tyrannosaurus Rex would have made the most impact. 
What?
progmatic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2017 at 11:27
Roy Harper still makes vital albums today. T-Rex is, well, extinct.
PROGMATIC
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2017 at 12:26
If it weren't extinct, Tyrannosaurus Rex would stomp all over Roy Harper.

I feel confident in saying that Roy Harper had the greater impact on progressive folk.   The follow-up group to Tyrannosaurus Rex, T. Rex had a greater impact than Bolan's former group.

Stormcock (1971) in particular, is commonly lauded as one of the greatest progressive folk albums. And Harper's 1966 album is a good example of early psychedelic and progressive folk. Plus he's had a long career to influence others.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2017 at 12:44
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I feel confident in saying that Roy Harper had the greater impact on progressive folk.   The follow-up group to Tyrannosaurus Rex, T. Rex had a greater impact than Bolan's former group.

Stormcock (1971) in particular, is commonly lauded as one of the greatest progressive folk albums. And Harper's 1966 album is a good example of early psychedelic and progressive folk. Plus he's had a long career to influence others.
i agree, i think its interesting tonread and follow the paths of the early odd bands and groups of the 60s.

I find it interesting that Tyrannosaurus Rex with Marc Bolan and Velvet Underground with Lou Reed both had something to doo with the carear of David Bowie. Both had debutes in 1967 ( as well doo Bowie) and hd a string of albums til 1970 until Tyrannosaures to changed a T-Rex or stopped completly like Velvet Underground. Now Bolan, Reed and Bowie are no longe with us.

Roy had influence on Bowie as well
And on Syd Barret

Edited by Icarium - April 28 2017 at 12:47
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2017 at 14:45
Interesting comparison of two very influential artists of late 60s to mid 70s music. On their own right, both carved their niche in music history, and I think are equally important, as well as influential. 
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2017 at 16:24
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Clap agreed 100% with that
Wanorak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2017 at 17:23
Roy Harper by a mile.
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2017 at 02:55
Roy by many miles. Great writer, pretty good and highly effective singer, capable of epic works and the finely crafted song plus being a superb guitarist (I usually find these are adequate at best in folk).

Would have helped Bolan if he's had a great band. Or even a good one. Were T Rex any sort of influence on folk?

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2017 at 03:40
Originally posted by uduwudu uduwudu wrote:

Roy by many miles. Great writer, pretty good and highly effective singer, capable of epic works and the finely crafted song plus being a superb guitarist (I usually find these are adequate at best in folk).

Would have helped Bolan if he's had a great band. Or even a good one. Were T Rex any sort of influence on folk?

1968-1970 Bolan was.

Bolan's pre T. Rex Tyrannosaurus Rex, or as they felt the needed to call it when including it in PA for Prog Folk so people weren't confused, Tyrannosaurus Rex (Not T. Rex) ,certainly had an influence on folk and psychedelic folk. Not as much as Harper I argued, but an influence. That said, I think that the T. Rex incarnation also had some influence on folk with at least the 1970 album which is something of a transitional album between the psychedelic folk and glam rock periods.

Edited by Logan - April 30 2017 at 03:44
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2017 at 06:19
I wonder just how much this happens ie mistaken identities or indeed a certain skewing of past musical affairs.
Happens on here all the time. Folks have no idea about the Krautrocking Kraftwerk from before Autobahn just like most outside of PA think of Genesis as a pop band from the 80s.
I guess it's a matter of fame. Similarly Tyrannosaurus Rex never climbed the highs of Bolan in drag.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2017 at 12:03
It's very common, and agreed on all points, David.

As a side-note, in various cases collabs have been reluctant to add certain bands/artists due to wariness about the general PA public's lack of familiarity with the PA-appropriate material. We've had to deal with so many complaints about additions because, well we have a complete discography policy, and because many people are just really unfamiliar with the albums that are getting these acts into PA.
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2017 at 07:05
Of course if it were Roy versus Bert Jansch (seen both play as well) then the story would be more.... well, oriented to we ignorant general public.
 Post Reply Post Reply