Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedStereolab - Prog related

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stereolab - Prog related
    Posted: May 01 2017 at 15:37
I'm very surprised this band is not included in the archives. I think it should at least be in Prog related, perhaps even in RIO/Avant. Well-known 90's English-French band that bears strong similarites to Talking Heads and 80's King Crimson. It has probably been suggested before but I couldnt find anything with the advanced search engine and I'm curious as to why it was rejected (if it was suggested at all). I agree that there are obvious pop elements but I still believe most of their stuff is more progressive than a few things I've seen on here.

"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."
mechanicalflattery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2017 at 15:42
There's no way Stereolab hasn't been suggested yet. I support your endeavors, but I imagine you'll be met with a stock response (not necessarily a bad thing). I'm not an admin, so feel free to disregard my opinion, but they're definitely not RIO/Avant. Crossover or Related maybe... 

While we're discussing artists that have certainly been suggested before, how about getting Alice Coltrane onto the site? 
Larkstongue41 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2017 at 15:47
^ They're not as experimental as most RIO bands that's for sure but I see them as Avant-Pop, using pop songs structure with some added RIO elements. I thought a case could be made for this subgenre because of that but looking at the bands currently included in RIO/Avant, I think I may have been pushing my luck a bit far.

By the way, how is Hot Rats (and any other Zappa album for that matter) RIO/Avant? Pretty obvious JR/F case methinks.

Edited by Larkstongue41 - May 01 2017 at 15:51
"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."
mechanicalflattery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2017 at 16:06
Frank Zappa (likely an earlier addition to the site anyway) is RIO almost certainly due to experimental albums with the Mothers of Invention like Uncle Meat (which basically invented RIO, as far as I'm concerned) and Weasels Ripped My Flesh. Personally, I'm surprised Zappa and the Mothers of Invention aren't listed as two separate entities.

I do think a case could be made for Stereolab, especially with the other prog-related groups included, but they're well-known enough that I can't imagine the admins haven't already talked this one over. 
aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2017 at 16:13
A Special Collab would need to make the case to the Admins - I suggest you have a look at the Collabs list and pick those most related to their music e.g. perhaps post-rock or the RIO guys. Hope this helps
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2017 at 16:28
I'm a huge Stereolab fan. I have a majority of their albums and i just recently picked up their very first. While i find their music to be quite unique, experimental and able to take me away to another world, i can't say i find them particularly progressive in the sense that this site uses to determine inclusion. As far as prog related is concerned, they have to have some connection to the greater prog world and if that is the case, then feel free to connect those dots for the admins to consider. However after having acquired ten of their releases from their 1992 Peng! to their more recent ones such as Margarine Ecllipse and Fab Four Structure, i personally don't find them to be any more than indie art pop with neo-psychedelia and noise rock mixed into their unique stamp on indietronica.

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Windhawk View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2017 at 16:41
From what I can see, Stereolab has not been checked by any of the teams that use Progfreak. Which means that Crossover haven't given them a check. From what I can see they weren't checked by the old art rock team either. 
Websites I work with:

http://www.progressor.net
http://www.houseofprog.com

My profile on Mixcloud:
https://www.mixcloud.com/haukevind/
 Post Reply Post Reply