Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hawkwind vs Pink Floyd

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2017 at 00:42
Oink
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uduwudu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2017 at 00:54
Floyd.

I've tried Hawkwind. Saw them described once as a working class Pink Floyd. Probably a prog punk acid drenched listen but not quite in the same class as the posher element. They remind me of the sort of prog type band that would appear in a (British) TV show.

Floyd have a song and piece writing capability a league or two beyond the Hawklords. Not to mention a great lead guitarist.

Still, an extra mention for '80s page 3 starlet Samantha Fox for guesting (actually on vocals rather than re-enacting Stacia's presence - points off guys...) on a gig once or twice.

No poll... if he OP can edit his original post we can go back to the competition for a European place... er, I mean assessment of the relative values of the two bands in question.

BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2017 at 02:50
Hawkwind are in my personal top 5. Pink Floyd had their peak with "Ummagumma" and "Meddle" and lost it completely after "Wish You Were Here". "Animals" sounds like a bunch of old-age pensioners pretending they are still youthful. "The Wall" has its moments but they are rare, and over anything aterwards a cloak of silence should be spread gently

Edited by BaldJean - May 04 2017 at 02:53

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2017 at 05:22
Floyd, but only because I haven't listened to any Hawkwind.

Yes, that's lame, I know it . . .
Welcome to the middle of the film.
digdug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digdug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2017 at 08:27
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Hawkwind are good at times but no match to Pjnk Floyd.

This
Prog On!
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2017 at 08:26
Easy one: Pink Floyd. Hawkwind never did it for me.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2017 at 13:40
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

yeah Floyd is great and all that...

Hawkwind though..  so much more fun and interesting to listen to.

^ this........and by god Mick finally got one right.....

;)
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2017 at 15:02
I love early Floyd nearly as much as i love Hawkwind; starting from very similar departure points they almost immediately moved apart stylistically and musically. Yes, Gilmour is a great guitarist and yes, Floyd rapidly developed a more sophisticated sound but Hawkwind just have it for me. Both bands have created gems and stinkers; Floyd's have just been bigger, more high profile and more expensive. Hawkwind, are for me, a people's band and despite what some might say i dont think Dave Brock or any other member of the band over the years (apart from Ginger Baker perhapsWink) would want to spit in the face of any of their audience or feel that alienated from them.

Dopeydoc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dopeydoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2017 at 15:10
Pink Floyd is just great; so memorable sound, melodies and atmosphere
Hawkwind is sympathetic
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2017 at 01:54
Originally posted by Jeffro Jeffro wrote:

Hawkwind gets my pick solely on the basis of Stacia's boobs Big smile
Originally posted by Upbeat Tango Monday Upbeat Tango Monday wrote:

I prefer Stacia's boobs to both of these bands combined.
I used to like PF more back in the day.
Really? As a red-bloodied male of 60 years vintage even I struggle to get excited by the prospect of the tits of a woman five years my senior, but each to their own. [Gravity is cruel].

Hawkwind are great and all that, especially with one of their many classic line-ups comprising of Brock & Turner with variously Lemmy, Calvert, Dikmik, Anderson, Dettmar, House, King, Powell etc., etc., etc., but they had neither the depth nor the breadth of Pink Floyd despite the carousel of fine musicians who have played with them over the years. There are a few of terrific highlight albums in their mahoosive back catalogue but the really stand-out ones are oddly the least "Hawkwind" sounding with their eponymous debut and Quark, Strangeness and Charm being the most notable of those. The sequence from In Search of Space to Warrior on the Edge of Time is probably their most popular but of those Hall of the Mountain Grill is the only one I play with any regularity (and not that often in all honesty). 

Edited by Dean - May 12 2017 at 01:55
What?
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2017 at 02:03
^ Waddabowt the Brock/Davey/Chadwick line-up ?? A force to be reckoned with.
Still, Floyd are my pick. Always ends up with Floyd.......
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2017 at 02:13
Lost all interest in them long before then. LOL
What?
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2017 at 02:32
^ Wow    Electric Tepee is too awesome. Its production isn't that great, but the compositions themselves are mostly outstanding. IMH of course. Doesn't mean I don't love In Search Of Space, Warrior, Levitation etc. I currently have at least 35 Hawk vinyl releases.
Fanboy alert, I guess
Kepler62 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kepler62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2017 at 02:51
I often see teenagers walking around wearing Dark Side of the Moon T-shirts. I wouldn't say that it's as familiar as the Coca Cola logo but Floyd has become so mass produced and generic. I have questioned a number of these kids over the years and none of them really know anything about Pink Floyd's music. On a few occasions I've come across people wearing Hawkwind merchandise and they are always die hard fans and have favourite albums, lineups, stories etc. The only Pink Floyd I will throw on would be Animals or Meddle. I also have a copy of Atom Heart floating around in my collection somewhere that hasn't surfaced for years. Another thing. When Floyd were still at it you would never hear any of their lesser stuff in concert. Wherea Hawkwind  still does revisit older not so well known material in their live shows even though hey might not still be the Hawkwind of 1972-5 that a lot of people bitch about. As for the Stacia comments... 
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2017 at 03:25
Originally posted by Kepler62 Kepler62 wrote:

I often see teenagers walking around wearing Dark Side of the Moon T-shirts. I wouldn't say that it's as familiar as the Coca Cola logo but Floyd has become so mass produced and generic. I have questioned a number of these kids over the years and none of them really know anything about Pink Floyd's music. On a few occasions I've come across people wearing Hawkwind merchandise and they are always die hard fans and have favourite albums, lineups, stories etc. The only Pink Floyd I will throw on would be Animals or Meddle. I also have a copy of Atom Heart floating around in my collection somewhere that hasn't surfaced for years. Another thing. When Floyd were still at it you would never hear any of their lesser stuff in concert. Wherea Hawkwind  still does revisit older not so well known material in their live shows even though hey might not still be the Hawkwind of 1972-5 that a lot of people bitch about. As for the Stacia comments... 

I agree with much of that, although when I saw Floyd in the 90's they opened with Astronomy Domine, which I guess was relatively obscure to much of the crowd.

I love Floyd, although don't think anything post The Wall is really that great. As for Hawkwind they will always be a favourite band. They are strangely good even when they're crap. Hawkwind was all about the spirit of the music and about chaos, rather than artistry and sophistication.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2017 at 04:25
Originally posted by Kepler62 Kepler62 wrote:

I couldn't care less about popularity or what ironic t-shirts fashionista's wear - not that long ago it was fashionable for young girls to wear Motorhead t-shirts and studded leather jackets or t-shirts with the Nirvana dead smile face logo... I recently saw a cropped sleeve Led Zepp shirt on someone who clearly had never heard of them. None of this matters to me, I wear a Beatles sweatshirt even though I don't care for their music very much because try as hard as I can, I cannot make the shirt play Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band and putting it on doesn't make me want to play any of their albums. (I wear Converse high-tops but have no inclination to play sports of any kind, least of all baseball). There is nothing generic about Pink Floyd's music, it simply broke out of the narrow confines of the underground music scene that spawned it - that does not lessen or distract from the actual music for me any more than preferring to put Coca Cola in my Cuba Libra rather than some lesser known carbonated plant extract soda. Ask the average "man in the street" about Hawkwind and they'll come back with Silver Machine, Lemmy and Stacia (ffs! ...and if you don't get the sarcasm in my earlier post then so be it). Ask even the most die hard music fan about Space Ritual and a few may know of the album of that name and fewer still will mention Nik Turner's alternative Hawkwind ensemble. Given the number of bootleg recordings of live Floyd shows that do feature lesser known songs, and the recent playing of songs like Fat Old Sun and Remember the Day by Gilmour during his solo shows, you cannot base everything on what was released on Delicate Sound of Thunder and Pulse. 

You prefer Hawkwind to Pink Floyd - good for you - I prefer both to Eloy and the world continues to spin on its axis. Bashing either band doesn't make the other any better.
What?
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2017 at 04:45
Yeah...erm...we tend to see this all the time especially in the overrated threads.
'I don't like Pink Floyd ergo the fans of said band must be completely off their meds'
'How can people not see the error of their ways and hear the music like I do and subsequently report back in shame about how wrong they were all this time'

Sure enough, I'm still waiting for fans of Renaissance to come to their senses and renounce the muzak!!!
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Thatfabulousalien View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thatfabulousalien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2017 at 05:03
Is it possible to say neither? 
Classical music isn't dead, it's more alive than it's ever been. It's just not on MTV.

https://www.soundcloud.com/user-322914325
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2017 at 05:29
Originally posted by Jeffro Jeffro wrote:

Hawkwind gets my pick solely on the basis of Stacia's boobs Big smile

I guess I should have ended this post and all future joking type posts with a Wink
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati
Upbeat Tango Monday View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Upbeat Tango Monday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2017 at 09:24
The thing with Floyd is that no other big band is big based solely on the strength of a logo (DSOTM) and a single song (Another Brick in the Wall pt2).
If you take The Beatles, Iron Maiden, AC/DC, Nirvana, etc. most people know a bunch of their songs and records. Pink Floyd was a pop/rock band that failed to make memorable pop/rock songs, and yet they are HUGE.
If we go into prog territory, they have just a handful of prog songs (if we believe slowing down a 4/4 pop song and adding a few wailing sounds and solos makes for a prog song), and yet they are part of "the big 6".
I like Floyd, I still listen to them...but the amount of praise they get is just ridiculous.
Two random guys agreed to shake hands. Just Because. They felt like it, you know. It was an agreement of sorts...a random agreement.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>