Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hawkwind vs Pink Floyd

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2017 at 09:36
So you like Floyd but can't stand the fact that they're successful?Ermm

I love chocolate and would eat it daily if it was more obscure. 
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2017 at 11:30
LOL
What?
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2017 at 11:55
Obscure chocolate is nearly as good as forbidden chocolate
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati
Upbeat Tango Monday View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Upbeat Tango Monday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2017 at 14:07
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

No. It's more like eating an average chocolate bar. I prefer many other brands, but I still indulge myself. It tastes ok, but it's really plain.
Having a neat package and good TV ads help with sells, but being popular do not make it the best chocolate ever.
Some like chocolate with mint, other guys prefer almonds, some eat high quality swiss chocolate...but a plain chocolate bar is safe as milk (Cap. Beefheart pun intended) and most will eat it from time to time. It's just not THE BEST THING EVER.
Mass appeal and quality are different beasts.

Two random guys agreed to shake hands. Just Because. They felt like it, you know. It was an agreement of sorts...a random agreement.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2017 at 02:23
Originally posted by Upbeat Tango Monday Upbeat Tango Monday wrote:

No. It's more like eating an average chocolate bar. I prefer many other brands, but I still indulge myself. It tastes ok, but it's really plain.
Having a neat package and good TV ads help with sells, but being popular do not make it the best chocolate ever.
Some like chocolate with mint, other guys prefer almonds, some eat high quality swiss chocolate...but a plain chocolate bar is safe as milk (Cap. Beefheart pun intended) and most will eat it from time to time. It's just not THE BEST THING EVER.
Mass appeal and quality are different beasts.

But they are not mutually exclusive. However, liking the something for the wrong reason is perfectly acceptable whereas disliking something for the same reason is not. It's okay to like artisan craft chocolate because it's hip and trendy despite its bitter, grainy taste not quite living up to the hyped-up price ticket and hand-made packaging. All that distinguishes the artisan from the mass produced is marketing. Our local deli sells grissini bread sticks dipped in dark Belgian chocolate compared to the more popular Cadbury's Chocolate Fingers that are essentially the same thing in a different guise. I know which I'd prefer to have or give as a present but when it comes to having a chocolate coated biscuit to have with my afternoon tea I know I'll not be buying the product that is 850% more expensive. Rejecting the mass marketing of a popular product while espousing a similar but less popular product is still succumbing to the persuasive power of marketing. More people liking Cadbury's chocolate does not affect the quality of their product (selling the company to an American corporation who changed the recipe did that). Anyway, metaphors and analogies are great and all, (for entertainment purposes only), but music is not like chocolate and sometimes you just have to assess music as music and not as some neatly marketed package. 

Pink Floyd (or Yes, Genesis, Kansas, Tull, Marillion, Oldfield, Moodies or even Zappa) releasing music that has popular appeal does not (or at least should not) distract from everything else they did, nor should it be rejected outright simply because more people liked it than the smaller percentage of music lovers who once did. Frankly, anyone who argues against the quality of music is on a hiding to nothing.

What?
Flight123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flight123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2017 at 03:03
Well said!   Both bands emerged from the soup of creativity in the late 60s - Hawkwind were hugely influenced by the Floyd and both gradually emerged with triumphant leaders: Brock and Waters.  It was only because Waters turned his back on the Floyd that allowed Gilmour to reconvene the band.  Brock sacked his potential would-be rival (but allowed him back in for a bit in the early 80s) and took control of musical direction (after Astounding Sounds).  Brock always allowed Hawkwind to absorb musical developments around them (punk, electronica, ambient, metal, even dance) whereas Floyd always drifted back to mainstream rock (a process more or less complete by The Wall).  This openness kept Hawkwind interesting - and their constant touring always kept the special bond with the fans (Floyd fans have to make do with the various tribute acts...)
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2017 at 03:09
Originally posted by Flight123 Flight123 wrote:

Well said!   Both bands emerged from the soup of creativity in the late 60s - Hawkwind were hugely influenced by the Floyd and both gradually emerged with triumphant leaders: Brock and Waters.  It was only because Waters turned his back on the Floyd that allowed Gilmour to reconvene the band.  Brock sacked his potential would-be rival (but allowed him back in for a bit in the early 80s) and took control of musical direction (after Astounding Sounds).  Brock always allowed Hawkwind to absorb musical developments around them (punk, electronica, ambient, metal, even dance) whereas Floyd always drifted back to mainstream rock (a process more or less complete by The Wall).  This openness kept Hawkwind interesting - and their constant touring always kept the special bond with the fans (Floyd fans have to make do with the various tribute acts...)

Hawkwind were more influenced by Amon Düül 2.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Flight123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flight123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2017 at 03:40
Sorry, I meant that Floyd were one influence - Brock has cited Amon Duul in addition to Neu, Can, etc.

Kepler62 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kepler62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2017 at 04:21
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

Originally posted by Flight123 Flight123 wrote:

Hawkwind were more influenced by Amon Düül 2.

Nobody even really knew what Pink Floyd  looked like back in the seventies! Amon Duul and the more musical splinter were darker than Pink Floyd back in the late 60s. Then Amon Duul II got happier and Pink Floyd got darker. Hawkwind always remained "out there" , cynical and foreboding. On the other hand heir lyrics can even get playful and are fun to listen to. Calvert and Moorcock's oratories were always neat   When The Wall came out I remember a lot of real Pink Floyd fans disliking it. I don't even think I ever bought it because everyone had it even though they disliked it. I remember borrowing a copy from a friend who hated it then it got passed on to another friend who couldn't wait to get his paws on it. It had a transparent sticker on the plastic wrap that everyone saved. 
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2017 at 04:44
Big fan of The Wall. First real experience with Floyd back when I was 9-10. I still know the lyrics and melodies by heart though these days I tend to reach for Ummagumma, Atom Heart Mother and More. Now I am a real Floyd fan (not a robot either) and I dig the early wild days as well as The Wall.
How is that even possible you say? I use my ears.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2017 at 05:15
I'm also a bit surprised of all the negativity about The Wall. It's not my favourite album, it may be a bit overambitious and at times the concept dominates the music, but it's something very original and unique and full of ideas. The band avoided standing still and pleasing their fans' expectations; they came up with something many people could connect to not because they tried to be commercial but because they had something relevant to say at the right time.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2017 at 06:04
It's a case of damned if you do damned if you don't. Had they continued in the footsteps of say Animals fans would have accused them of standing still - running on autopilot...but then they bring us The Wall which is completely new sonically and conceptually and as a consequence of that fans long for the old Floyd.
I want a sheep! Alright then here's a sheep. Nahh I don't want that! But you said you wanted sheep? Yeah but I meant mutton.

Edited by Guldbamsen - May 13 2017 at 06:04

- Douglas Adams
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2017 at 11:16

Big fan of The Wall. First real experience with Floyd back when I was 9-10. I still know the lyrics and melodies by heart though these days I tend to reach for Ummagumma, Atom Heart Mother and More. Now I am a real Floyd fan (not a robot either) and I dig the early wild days as well as The Wall.

Every word you posted is the exact same for me.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
twseel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twseel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2017 at 11:29
Originally posted by Upbeat Tango Monday Upbeat Tango Monday wrote:

The thing with Floyd is that no other big band is big based solely on the strength of a logo (DSOTM) and a single song (Another Brick in the Wall pt2).
If you take The Beatles, Iron Maiden, AC/DC, Nirvana, etc. most people know a bunch of their songs and records. Pink Floyd was a pop/rock band that failed to make memorable pop/rock songs, and yet they are HUGE.
If we go into prog territory, they have just a handful of prog songs (if we believe slowing down a 4/4 pop song and adding a few wailing sounds and solos makes for a prog song), and yet they are part of "the big 6".
I like Floyd, I still listen to them...but the amount of praise they get is just ridiculous.
Maybe a bit too simple but mostly I feel the same. I used to like them a lot when I was younger and I can still recognize that there music is sort of unique and that it flows well but most of it is just so sterile and simple... Pop tunes with some trademark flavours of slow ballad drama and ambient rock. Hawkwind is quite the opposite in that respect.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2017 at 14:29
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Speaking of those heady Floyd days do you own the BBC Archives release that spans the band's tinkering about in the studios anno 1970 and 71? Also features one of my fave pieces that never got to see the light on a studio album, The Embryo. Most of the BBC release continues in that lovely psychedelic soup that they by then had perfected right down to the t.

- Douglas Adams
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2017 at 02:43
There is much to be admired from both bands so while I'll remain a Floyd fan and rabid defender to my dying day I'll not say anything against Brock and Hawkwind, (or Turner and Space Ritual come to that). If only I were a mere three or four years younger and could have seen both perform live in small venues in and around the Ladbroke Grove / Notting Hill area of London in the late 60s I'd be a very happy man. But alas I'll just have to be content with seeing Floyd before DSotM was released and Hawkwind with Captain Bob on vocals in far less intimate surroundings. Music aside, both bands put on spectacular shows that were pure entertainment.

I really don't get the X vs Y comparisons - while Hawkwind were compared to Floyd in the early days, Floyd had moved on from acid-fuelled Space Rock (not that they ever did that much of it in the first place) and out of the Ladbroke Grove underground scene months before Hawkwind formed so I suspect that the comparisons arose not because Hawkwind were particularly influenced by Floyd but because they stepped into the vacant space at just the right time. Despite Brock's busking cover of non-psych/non-space rock Cymbaline I don't see that much to compare them.
What?
Zeropikinz View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zeropikinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2017 at 02:49
Hawkwind this punk spase prog! Pink Floyd this more music interesting .
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2017 at 09:09

Speaking of those heady Floyd days do you own the BBC Archives release that spans the band's tinkering about in the studios anno 1970 and 71? Also features one of my fave pieces that never got to see the light on a studio album, The Embryo. Most of the BBC release continues in that lovely psychedelic soup that they by then had perfected right down to the t.

I don't own it, but looking at the tracklist I can see that it's a must-have for me. The first album I ever bought was Pink Floyd's Works. It has a shortened version of it called "Embryo", which was a particular favourite of mine off Works. I have listened to "The Embryo" off the BBC release and it is fabulous.   

EDITED because I couldn't even put a coherent sentence together.

Edited by Logan - May 14 2017 at 12:13
Just a fanboy passin' through.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2017 at 12:02
I like both bands but I am definitely bigger into PF. 
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2017 at 20:12

I did get a few of those ones. The one I liked better is the '71 one. Fat Old Sun, Embryo, and One of these Days are wonderful. Though it seems Gilmour's voice wasn't at it's best that night.

Edited by Dellinger - May 14 2017 at 20:12
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>