Topic ClosedNew Albums Devaluing a Band's History

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2017 at 12:07
Originally posted by Thatfabulousalien Thatfabulousalien wrote:

No it doesn't effect the quality of the older stuff you so dearly love but it sure can change your perception of that said band/musician

Agree; good point.

I could imagine growing to hate the early stuff if you really loathed the later stuff. For instance, you had an artist who you both admired and loved the music of, but later on not only did the music change, but also the message.   

Let's say that the politics in the lyrics changed to become totally alien to your ideological views/ morality/ ethics - at first the artist wrote about peace and love and care for the environment, and you happen to be someone who likes peace and love and cares for the environment, and later the artist became someone who sincerely espouses hatred and violence in songs such as "Turn all Greenies into Compost then Torch the Earth". In some cases it might make me question the sincerity of the themes in the early albums too.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2017 at 15:33
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

Originally posted by freyacat freyacat wrote:

Here is a question to ponder:

If you are a fan of one of the classic prog-rock greats, like Yes, ELP, King Crimson, or Genesis, one of the bands who were around in the 70's, and that band releases a new album which (almost inevitably) fails to recapture the glory of their peak years, does it devalue their earlier accomplishments in your view?

Does a bad new album make the earlier ones seem less good?

No, I just don't buy it.

I have made my mind to believe that Genesis split after W&W

And I think that Genesis made some great music post Wind & Wuthering. Duke remains one of my favourite albums of all time.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2017 at 11:09
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

If you are a fan of one of the classic prog-rock greats, like Yes, ELP, King Crimson, or Genesis, one of the bands who were around in the 70's, and that band releases a new album which (almost inevitably) fails to recapture the glory of their peak years, does it devalue their earlier accomplishments in your view?

No, I just don't buy it.

I have made my mind to believe that Genesis split after W&W

And I think that Genesis made some great music post Wind & Wuthering. Duke remains one of my favourite albums of all time.

That's your opinion and you are entitled to it.

But I believe it's horrible and I'm also entitled to believe that.

The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2017 at 13:50
I don't think there's an undervaluing of earlier records because bands soldier on twenty, thirty or forty years hence. There are just points where I personally stop listening. It's rather like a divorce: things were great up to a point, but then they got ugly and you move on to different relationships.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
mechanicalflattery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2017 at 14:00
This might be controversial, but I don't think most, if any bands, should continue on for longer than perhaps 15 years (the length of time is variable). Musicians should continually be looking for new avenues and new people to play alongside. Look at Fred Frith, he remained intriguing for decades by continually joining new groups and playing new styles (and even instruments), thus averting creative stagnancy. Classic rock groups continually touring the same hits they've been playing for 40 or even 50 years is simply depressing to me. Naturally, there are exceptions (King Crimson perhaps?) but these are mostly facilitated again by a constantly shuffling lineup of players and styles. Music listening and playing alike need to constantly be reinvigorated. Never settle into a single genre or time period; life is too short for that. 
OneOfTwoNoids View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2017 at 15:35

Nah, not at all, since music's a completely subjective thing to begin with, it stands to reason I'm not going to like some of it anyway. The good stuff will always be the good stuff, EG I'll always prefer Gabriel era Genesis to anything later, although I didn't start to lose interest until after "And Then There Were Three", and even then I didn't completely stop paying attention till after the 1983 album (which still was an amazing show). It was nothing compared to their earlier output, but it did turn some people who were never interested before onto them, who in turn started looking for more, and eventually wound up listening to the 70s stuff.

Same goes for any band really, though some die hard fans might not care for a latest release, especially with the older prog bands, they do tend to create new fans of their earlier stuff because inevitably a new generation will discover them, and sooner or later, hear their more classic recordings. When I was younger I severely limited myself with that sort of "music snobbery", I missed out on a lot of stuff I have since discovered I actually like. Smile
The first rule of tautology club is the first rule of tautology club.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2017 at 20:59
Originally posted by mechanicalflattery mechanicalflattery wrote:

This might be controversial, but I don't think most, if any bands, should continue on for longer than perhaps 15 years (the length of time is variable). Musicians should continually be looking for new avenues and new people to play alongside. Look at Fred Frith, he remained intriguing for decades by continually joining new groups and playing new styles (and even instruments), thus averting creative stagnancy. Classic rock groups continually touring the same hits they've been playing for 40 or even 50 years is simply depressing to me. Naturally, there are exceptions (King Crimson perhaps?) but these are mostly facilitated again by a constantly shuffling lineup of players and styles. Music listening and playing alike need to constantly be reinvigorated. Never settle into a single genre or time period; life is too short for that. 

I think it depends on the bands/artists. On some it might work one way, on others not. Perhaps they should just stop, or wait until they truly have some new inspiration. Or sometimes they just shift their stile in such a radical way (whether the change is fueled by line-up changes or just artistic exploration may not be so important) that they do great stuff still... but to a totally new audience (such as Genesis), so that old fans may find the new stuff terrible, while they find many new ones. Sometimes artists just loose their inspiration and won't create great new music anymor, no matter how many formats of cooperations they try out... or sometimes they end up unable to do great full albums anymore, but keep on releasing great essential tracks within most albums (there are many artists I would put in this category, including some of my very favourite ones).
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2017 at 08:29
guess if you believe in the golden age of an artist --like Yes in the 70's ---devalue may be a tough word---having said that---after Drama there are very few Yes albums that are totally great. They all have songs here and there but it does seem to be beyond inconsistent ---much of the problem for Yes was letting second rate talent in---Genesis didn't suffer as much as they kept a cohesive line up.
maryes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2017 at 17:48
Absolutely not, I can't despise bands as for instance : YES and his masterpieces (Fragile, CTTE, Relayer) due to Big Generator or, EL&P (Tarkus , BSS, Trylogy) due to Love Beach !
Big Ears View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2017 at 16:26
No, but it is, and was, very frustrating with the bands mentioned. I expected Brain Salad Surgery part 2 from ELP and got the disappointing Works. Crimson became a different band. Genesis and Gabriel both changed their styles. Yes fizzled out. 
fudgenuts64 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2017 at 19:07
I just ignore Calling All Stations...
Thatfabulousalien View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2017 at 19:26
Originally posted by Big Ears Big Ears wrote:

Crimson became a different band.

What are you referring to? 
Classical music isn't dead, it's more alive than it's ever been. It's just not on MTV.

https://www.soundcloud.com/user-322914325
Zem View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2017 at 21:03
I generally just tend to ignore newer albums by classic bands unless I hear really good things about them. Bands often just lose out in the long run whether due to a change in members, change in sound, or too much repetition. I don't think any crappy albums by any band devalues their other works. No artist has a perfect career without ups and downs. If anything, the lows make the highs stand out that much more. The later Genesis, Yes, and ELP albums just make me appreciate their earlier works all that much more. 
Mr. Mustard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2017 at 21:52
Pink Floyd should have ended with The Division Bell and i'm mildly annoyed they released something after.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2017 at 15:50
f**k to captcha
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2017 at 15:51
Sorry...I'm really tired of this crap and I wonder about the forum owners as to why they can't get rid of it.

What Dark Elf said above regarding the music....
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
2dogs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2017 at 22:55
It's nice when the decline is slow and drawn out although that can make it difficult to decide exactly where to cut off before the diminishing returns spoil a collection of great albums.
"There is nothing new except what has been forgotten" - Marie Antoinette
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2017 at 05:06
I still think that the classics of the seventies could be revisited and extended - uber-symphonic-prog has not been tried as yet - i'm waiting for someone with the balls to REALLY push symphonic beyond it's mid seventies limits!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12