Topic ClosedNew Albums Devaluing a Band's History

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Albums Devaluing a Band's History
    Posted: May 04 2017 at 22:55
Here is a question to ponder:

If you are a fan of one of the classic prog-rock greats, like Yes, ELP, King Crimson, or Genesis, one of the bands who were around in the 70's, and that band releases a new album which (almost inevitably) fails to recapture the glory of their peak years, does it devalue their earlier accomplishments in your view?

Does a bad new album make the earlier ones seem less good?

sad creature nailed upon the coloured door of time
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2017 at 23:45
There are albums like Sun by Tai Phong or Danger World by Anyone's Daughter, however in my opinion the fact that they're crap makes the earlier albums shine even more.
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2017 at 01:52
Originally posted by freyacat freyacat wrote:

If you are a fan of one of the classic prog-rock greats, like Yes, ELP, King Crimson, or Genesis, one of the bands who were around in the 70's, and that band releases a new album which (almost inevitably) fails to recapture the glory of their peak years, does it devalue their earlier accomplishments in your view?

I've never really understood the logic behind the idea that a really sh*t album e.g. In the Hot Seat  can somehow make Tarkus, Pictures at an Exhibition, Trilogy or Brain Salad Surgery less enjoyable to listen to. It makes a band's best work MORE enjoyable to listen to surely? All creative associations have artistic peaks (usually closer to their inception) and then gradually diminish over time. If a band still sound exactly the same 20 years hence they clearly haven't developed, grown or learned anything musically in the interim (or they're AC/DC?....)Wink
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2017 at 02:03
I agree with Iain. More than that, the whole idea reflects pretty poorly on anyone so fickle and shallow.  
What?
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2017 at 02:31
No, that's a completely absurd question. If you find an underwhelming new album from a band you love (hey, we've all been there!), it would be completely screwy to think `Hmmm, this is no good, perhaps I've been wrong about this group the whole time...out the window they ALL go!!'

If anything, you race back to the previous albums to simply remind yourself what made them special to you in the first place.
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2017 at 04:57
This is a very similar idea to the devoted fan who worships, adores, is total nuts about said group and their records. They put out an album which said devotee finds is other than what is expected - it "stinks, sucks" etc. Said fan stop listening to band's output thereafter. Devotee is not so devoted.

There are many like that and likely to miss out on some good stuff.

This is why when someone says something stinks, sucks etc I would give (more) value to such a view if they gave some idea what, why, some depth, just a little bit.

Actually being devoted is a bit daft (but a great way of winding some people up). The extent of business is they record, release the latest, tour maybe. You like the release, you buy (or vice versa), you see the gig. That's it.

is it not?

Underwhelming albums... well, there are a few here and there but no, how can CTTE etc be less of an album merely because a later release say... Heaven And Earth was not quite in the league expected. Those of this view may find their worshipful devotion Of King Jon 1 reinforced while their views of Prince Jon the Younger have been proportionally reduced.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2017 at 05:24
No of course not. Every band has a peak (although that peak will differ according to one's taste) and therefore by definition they must have some "worse" albums, but in no way do they devalue the peak albums.
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2017 at 05:35
It doesn't diminish what they did previously but it does make me sad that it isn't as good as the good stuff. 
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2017 at 05:43
Originally posted by Jeffro Jeffro wrote:

It doesn't diminish what they did previously but it does make me sad that it isn't as good as the good stuff. 
But every band that has made more than a couple of albums has good stuff and not so good stuff. It's not a reason to be sad, even Kate Bush has made some duffers.
Kepler62 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2017 at 05:54
Well, I'll put it this way. I stopped listening to Genesis after And Then There Were Three.To this day I have a problem with the earlier material and don't even listen to it that much. Funny thing is that with Yes I manage to ignore anything after Drama with no side effects when listening to the earlier material. I'll never get sick of Yessongs. I went through a phase where I couldn't listen to TFTO because I thought that Wakeman had gone for good. I even looked at Relayer( which I love )  as an album by a different band for a while because of Moraz. ELP has a limited amount of first rate material so I can ignore In The Hot Seat and still enjoy the earlier material without having to go and see my psychiatrist.

Edited by Kepler62 - May 05 2017 at 05:55
WeepingElf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2017 at 06:43

Nope.

... brought to you by the Weeping Elf

"What does Elvish rock music sound like?" - "Yes."

Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2017 at 06:48
All it defines for me is the point at which I get off that particular train. If anything it makes me more thankful for the earlier stuff.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2017 at 08:08
I don't think so. The attention towards the band might diminish, but that does not affect the good music from previous albums. Does "Close to the Edge" is affected because of "Heaven and Earth"? Absolutely no. Does Genesis 80's output outshines the classic albums of the 70's? No. The list could go on and on, but the answer will be the same.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2017 at 08:17
It does not, and I can't think even think of a decent counterargument.

Edited by Logan - May 05 2017 at 08:34
theultimateprogressiveartexperimentalmusicresource.org: the ultimate progressive, art, experimental music resource dot org
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2017 at 08:50
It's like the guy (on another thread) who supposedly dumped his whole Rush catalog because of one song.....Completely mental thought and actions.

If this were the case then every band's history would have to change because, every band has some krapp they released.

History is history, you cannot change that.
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2017 at 15:48
Originally posted by Jeffro Jeffro wrote:

Re the animation on your posts:

I do find it slightly amusing that Vyvyan from Scumbag College was in my house at school! I was head of house and he was a third year. He was a boring little sod then.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2017 at 16:26
No, but it does cause one to reflect on how & why art, inspiration, and work manifests itself and inevitably changes.   Is each artist allotted a finite amount of good ideas?   Does the brain slow in generating creative new things?   Does the body and spirit crave different sustenance as one ages?   Does originality require a certain measure of lunacy, and how important is a fresh direction versus sticking with what works?

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2017 at 17:11

No, I just don't buy it.

I have made my mind to believe that Genesis split after W&W

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - May 05 2017 at 17:13

Thatfabulousalien View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2017 at 17:57
No it doesn't effect the quality of the older stuff you so dearly love but it sure can change your perception of that said band/musician
Classical music isn't dead, it's more alive than it's ever been. It's just not on MTV.

https://www.soundcloud.com/user-322914325
Erwaco View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2017 at 11:42
I don't think it is any different than the band putting out an album during their heyday that wasn't as good as their previous releases.
erwaco
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>