Topic Closednew steven wilson song

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: new steven wilson song
    Posted: May 09 2017 at 01:54
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXNE_l1YUHU

from the new album "to the bone", coming in august.
i think i'm one of the few people who didn't like "hand. cannot. erase.", i found it quite boring and lacking inventiveness compared to an incredible album like "grace for drowning". this track seems to go in that same direction, same old harmonic changes, same old melodies, same sounds. 
he's got his trademark writing, ok, but now it's getting really lame, at least for me. i hope the album will change my mind.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2017 at 02:08
The man has been making music for 30 years and the only time the world outside of prog fans took notice of his music was with Hand.Cannot.Erase. Music fans from as fickle a site as RYM even loved it.
I don't blame him for cashing in on this newly found success of his and I hope he gets what he deserves (pun intended).
Anyway he has been making the same kind of album for a couple of years now, which is what can be expected of an old warhorse. It's far from every musician - even in the prog world - who's able to constantly evolve their sound and approach to music. I only know of a few rare instances tbh.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2017 at 02:55
Sleepy
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2017 at 03:04
So you're looking forward to the new SWilson eh Samuel?

Man I hope he doesn't do an Edgar Froese ie turn himself into a charicature of himself just endlessly releasing the same album for years on end. I love Edgar but he ceased being interesting 30 years ago because of that.
A vacation might do Steven some good.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Kotro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2017 at 03:11
Good stuff. Glad to hear more of Ninet. HCE was a grower, but I definitly now like it more than the previous two albums (Insurgentes remains very hard to top, though).
Bigger on the inside.
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2017 at 03:11
It's a totally reliable new song that ticks plenty of the usual boxes without being massively exciting or actually terrible. Those most raving of fanboys will love it blindly, and those that can't stand the man will think it's exactly like all his other recent music.

But is that the same female singer from the `H.C.E' album and who sung the chorus on the remake of PTree's `Don't Hate Me'? Urgh...I seem to be in the minority that isn't crazy about her...   
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2017 at 03:20
Update - I think the bigger issue is the f*cking front cover!!

Definitely one his multitude of lady fans are going to go crazy for..."Oh Steven, you're so raw, so exposed and naked in your words and voice.....""

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2017 at 03:22
Nope you're not alone there Michael. Not too fond of her either.

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2017 at 03:23

Blue Man Group goes emo.

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2017 at 03:48
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

So you're looking forward to the new SWilson eh Samuel?  

Man I hope he doesn't do an Edgar Froese ie turn himself into a charicature of himself just endlessly releasing the same album for years on end. I love Edgar but he ceased being interesting 30 years ago because of that. 
A vacation might do Steven some good.
I'm looking forward to skip it Tongue

Yeah, he should have released an album every five years or so and just pick the best tracks. There's some good stuff on his later work.

Originally posted by Kotro Kotro wrote:

Good stuff. Glad to hear more of Ninet. HCE was a grower, but I definitly now like it more than the previous two albums (Insurgentes remains very hard to top, though).
For me it only became worse with more spins Ermm I much prefer the previous two.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2017 at 04:01
Yeah Insurgentes is far and away his best solo offering (not counting Up The Downstair). The desolate 80s post-punk vibes really had a hand in making that album sound unique within his discography. I remember reading an interview with him at around the time where he mentioned The Cure being one of the main influences. Coupled together with his usual psych tendencies it really made for an interesting and quite beautiful album.

Edited by Guldbamsen - May 09 2017 at 04:02

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2017 at 04:13
^ I still don't have that one. I once ordered it on DVD, thinking it was the album in Hi-Res, but I got a rather boring documentary with the same name Wacko
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2017 at 10:25
He should have at least shown his nipples on that cover...

Hopes are low for the new album, but I'll give a listen to this song when I can.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2017 at 10:52
This site for the most part will prolly hate on the album. As he states, think prog-pop music by PG, Kate Bush, Tears For Fears, that should be the mood you are in for this one.
The released Pariah is ok, might be a grower and Ninet does an admirable job, I never expect the "released" single to be yuuge!

As I said on another site, which already has 7 pages about this new release, you have to look at his albums as individual works, not a collection. They are not similar, and I think he does this on purpose, heck if you removed the vocals, a listener not familiar with SW/PT might think they are all different artists, his solo works.

The cover art is not to my liking..not a fan of seeing the artist on the cover, too easy.

Ordered the vinyl (duh!) as it is 45RPM, half speed mastered.....should be sweet! And at US$32.00 is a really good price for it. 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2017 at 11:04
I INSTANTLY thought of Peter Gabriel and Kate Bush's `Don't Give Up' when I heard the shared vocals on this one, and sure enough, when I got the email from Burning Shed mentioning it just before racing off to work tonight it mentioned a `Modernist Pop record' similar to Peter Gabriel's `So' etc.

Definitely the image cover drives home the `pop' element of the album. This is Wilson taking advantage of his current status, ready to offer something that will potentially bring in even more `muggles', and it will no doubt only raise his profile even higher.

But the `pop' description isn't initially offputting or surprising, there's been pop pieces on every single release he's put out since even `On the Sunday of Life'....well, maybe not `Metanoia' or `Voyage 34'
silverpot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2017 at 13:03
I hate to say this, but, this song sounds like one of the entries to the European Song Contest.  Albeit one of the more ambitious ones. LOL
I'm disappointed.
rdtprog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Heavy, RPI, Symph, JR/F Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2017 at 13:22
I hope that we get more "meat to the bone" on some others songs before buying this.
Music is the refuge of souls ulcerated by happiness.

Emile M. Cioran

LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2017 at 15:02
"Pariah" is mainly built off of stuff that made up the rather boring HCE, but that shoegaze climax was wonderful and something Swilson has never tried before. Looks like there's some hope still left for his solo career.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2017 at 16:10
My earlier posts don't seem to reflect my love for Steven's work which made me rather sad. I absolutely adore his early PT years, and I am actually one of those who finds him rather unique - at least for a couple of albums he sounded completely like himself (granted with a certain Floydian breeze) and made an album like Up the Downstair which is about the only album I've ever heard to mix prog rock with IDM...successfully to boot. The original 35 minute Sky Moves Sideways track is like that too - complete with wonderful beats instead of drums. Normally I hate that sh*t. I loooooooove the sound of real drums. Modern one-man prog ventures are literally infested with programmed drums and I have a special place reserved in hell for most of them. With Steven though it works. The beat becomes fluid and hypnotic. Umm hypnotic.

- Douglas Adams
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2017 at 21:35
I just gave it a listen and may need more to get a better opinion, but it sounds good enough. I'll have to hear it again and hope he's got some better stuff on the album.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>