Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closednew steven wilson song

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2017 at 08:10
Haters already...this is like reading comments on Facebook for Dream Theater and Opeth--where the hatred spews forth because there is no more Portnoy, or the later isn't delivering the amazing metal thud they once did. There is amazing music coming that feeds my Prog obsession, and at an early point one learns what to purchase or totally ignore. Wilson isn't one to ignore. I like the new song...can't wait to hear the rest. I gotta go to work. Best of a day to everyone. 
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2017 at 08:22
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2017 at 09:19
I'm liking the song more and more, that drone noise towards the end is nice.......I'm also looking forward to a more happy upbeat mood on this album as SW stated.
Depressing songs like Routine and The Raven, albeit great songs, can be tough sometimes. I remember when The Raven came out and I was cranking that song pretty loud, my wife came down stairs to the audio room and said "WTF is that, sounds like haunted house music!!" LOL

EDIT: I love getting royally F***ed by captcha......totally makes my F***ing day!
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2017 at 23:00
the new song is fine and I'll get the new album---but honestly his extreme depression is getting to me---we are living in crazy down times and I'm not seeking out depressing music to listen to on a daily basisWink
Bonnek View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2017 at 01:18

Much to my surprise I didn't dislike the new song.

From an interview I understood he wants to let his 80s pop influences come to the fore so this could actually be a more interesting album for me than the two preceeding PROG ones which I don't like much at all.

And everybody is talking about that cover. So it is a good cover. Ugly as it is.

RoeDent View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2017 at 12:19
The press release announcing the album mentioned albums like So, Colour of Spring, Hounds of Love and The Seeds of Love, definitely at the more ambitious end of the 80s pop spectrum.

Shame not many people round here seem to like his music. Must be the inherent and institutionalized snobbery among certain prog fans towards anything reeking of popular acclaim. It's the only feasible explanation as to why such incredible music can possibly be hated.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2017 at 15:00
Originally posted by RoeDent RoeDent wrote:

The press release announcing the album mentioned albums like So, Colour of Spring, Hounds of Love and The Seeds of Love, definitely at the more ambitious end of the 80s pop spectrum.

Shame not many people round here seem to like his music. Must be the inherent and institutionalized snobbery among certain prog fans towards anything reeking of popular acclaim. It's the only feasible explanation as to why such incredible music can possibly be hated.

Genesis post PG....Yes 90125/Big Generator.

Problem is even though his music might be leaning towards more popular acclaim it will never be popular

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2017 at 22:14
Hi,

In one of his interviews on the toobe, he made the comment that he sacrificed his personal life for music. Honestly, I am almost thinking that this is a song, suggesting that he is now rethinking that stage ... life is as much a part of music, as music is a part of life, is my way of looking at it.

I kinda think that he might feel that he will lose the "hard" edge in his music, if the "softness" enters his life, with a family, but honestly? ... it's all talk ... things are never the same we think ... and SW is no different than any of us at all.

I like the song, but I think that it is "overdone" in the sense that he has said all this before and is merely redoing it again. Typical pop mentality, and now I think that I know why PT is not going to be anymore ... SW has sold out. 
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Zugzwang View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2017 at 07:23
Another new track here: https://open.spotify.com/album/4huFKijAmgqEUjlWLs4SW8
Funny how he went from refusing to even be on streaming services to releasing his new track exclusively on streaming services within a year.

As for the music, it sounds like it belongs on Stupid Dream.

Edited by Zugzwang - June 02 2017 at 07:24
Duke of Rother View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2017 at 01:40
Originally posted by RoeDent RoeDent wrote:

Entirely nailed.

I have enjoyed to one degree or another almost everything SW has released down the years - the ambient stuff less - but H.C.E is, for me, the best of the lot. The level of progginess is HUGE in most songs, but there is a smoothness about what he does and it is so easy to find a catchy melody in amongst the songs and extended instrumental sections it seems he is putting some off.

I find it a bit bizarre but hey, each to our own.

The 2 early releases from H.C.E were the 2 lightest and most easily accessible (almost radio friendly) songs, and I suspect the same has been done this time. The real mighty meat will not be on show until full release.

Oh and I like Ninet Tayeb's voice a lot. There's a dusky exotic depth to it that appeals hugely.

Edited by Duke of Rother - June 04 2017 at 01:42
tboyd1802 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2017 at 11:49
Originally posted by Zugzwang Zugzwang wrote:

Another new track here: https://open.spotify.com/album/4huFKijAmgqEUjlWLs4SW8
Funny how he went from refusing to even be on streaming services to releasing his new track exclusively on streaming services within a year.

As for the music, it sounds like it belongs on Stupid Dream.

This is exactly what I thought hearing the second new track, these could have come from Stupid Dream or Lightbulb Sun.
He neither drank, smoked, nor rode a bicycle. Living frugally, saving his money, he died early, surrounded by greedy relatives. It was a great lesson to me -- John Barrymore
Mirror Image View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2017 at 14:19
Originally posted by heavydrum heavydrum wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXNE_l1YUHU

from the new album "to the bone", coming in august.
i think i'm one of the few people who didn't like "hand. cannot. erase.", i found it quite boring and lacking inventiveness compared to an incredible album like "grace for drowning". this track seems to go in that same direction, same old harmonic changes, same old melodies, same sounds. 
he's got his trademark writing, ok, but now it's getting really lame, at least for me. i hope the album will change my mind.

I’m quite the opposite of you. I didn’t think much of Grace for Drowning as it seemed rather boring to me overall. Hand. Cannot. Erase. and The Raven That Refused to Sing have been his finest efforts so far outside of Porcupine Tree IMHO.
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2017 at 14:14
The Same Asylum As Before, I do like this song. I hear Yes and Stupid Dream influences......All good.
The recent release Song of I, well that one is gonna piss-off the prog elitists LOL. That song has Prince written all over it, which for me is just fine. Overall the song is ok, I like it better when I picture Prince singing it.....
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2017 at 04:24
Stern SmileSickDead
Watchmaker View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2017 at 06:51
I was expecting all the fanboys to speak the same nonsense again and to convince themselves that they adore and "understand" it but thank goodness they didn't.
I still think Steven is the most important musician of his generation that I know of, but, come on, this is mediocre.

I think there are two paths he can successfully follow now. The first path leads to popularity among the casual listeners and involves him doing pop/commercial stuff.
The second path consists of him realising that his first cycle in music has run its course and going back to pink floyd, psychedelic/space/ambient stuff and audio engineering.

Or, maybe, the new album is going to be great, or, maybe, he will return to something else, or...
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2017 at 07:43
^ Just wait for the bollywood music video LOL
Watchmaker View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2017 at 07:47
I've seen the pics Stern Smile
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2017 at 09:00
Just listened to the song on the train to work......Pop to the n'th degree. I am not sure what radio station here in the US will play it, maybe in Los Angeles, NY places like that but in other cities I struggle thinking it will get airplay. Not because the song is not pop, but because nobody in the mainstream knows who SW is.

I am totally fine with the song, he will get more women to his live shows because of this album. But I don't think he will become more pop-ular....
It worked for Genesis, Yes, PF, PGabriel, Phil Collins..these were/are all monster bands in rock, prog, psych and very popular on the FM dial, Porcupine Tree and SW are not.

I wish him well always and I want all artists, specially prog, to get their due (money), these guys put serious hours into their craft and get probably minimum wage salary when you count the hours they clock.

Like I said before, this album will not fare well with the furrow browed prog-elitist that populate this site. If you enjoy good music without a label then you may enjoy it.

I wonder what path he will take after this album, I do think it will sell well, but I think in live shows he will get slammed if most of the show is songs like this and not from back catalog.
He is insanely talented, but I suspect this album will hurt his reputation for those without an open mind. From that perspective I say let it roll and press those records and ship them!

Prog is such a dead genre today that maybe this will serve as some kind of wake up call......
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2017 at 09:13
OK, so it's unashamedly pop, and with quite a big ELO influence and a touch of Beatles in a few spots, and to be fair it's actually a perfectly good disposable pop song. Catchy falsetto vocal, brainless repeated lyric to get lodged into your head....mission accomplished.

Have to admit, though, I was getting a bit restless, fidgety and pretty sick of it by the end (perhaps could have done with the briefest of solos instead of Steven essentially singing the entire time), but sure enough that `Hold on....' line is lodged in my head - well played, Steve!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2017 at 09:21
I had no problem with his Pop stuff with Porcupine Tree but I find impossible to connect with his new music. Honestly, it's not difficult to imagine Katy Perry singing this instead. I feel bad for Craig Blundell having to play the same beat from beginning to end, such a waste of great talent.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>