Topic ClosedArtists on Nurse With Wound list

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Artists on Nurse With Wound list
    Posted: May 09 2017 at 23:01
I assume everyone has heard of the notorious Nurse With Wound List, that holy grail of a shopping list for seekers of the weird, strange and avant-garde music that appeared on the band Nurse With Wound's debut album "Chance Meeting On A Dissecting Table Of A Sewing Machine And An Umbrella" in 1979 and then expanded on their second album "To The Quiet Men From A Tiny Girl" in 1980.

Many if not the majority of these artists already are included in these here massive ProgArchives ranging from the most incredibly popular like King Crimson and Tangerine Dream to some of the most obscure artists ever to find their music onto vinyl.

My question is this: this list has been extremely influential in shaping the musical tastes of many prog seekers including myself as i've continued to use it to discover all kinds of mind-bending sonic journeys and since this list is so very associated with the progressive rock community, would it be a good idea to include the smaller percentage of artists who do not yet reside here as prog related simply for being on this list?

The artists seem to be primarily classified into three arenas. First there is the psychedelic progressive rock that can range from jazz-fusion and eclectic to progressive electronic, the Canterbury Scene and even heavy. Then there are the noise groups like Cromagnon and AMM that are free from and don't really qualify as rock per se. Thirdly there are the experimental post-punk acts like Chrome, Family Fodder, Public Image Ltd or The Pop Group, all of which are more psychedelic than many acts that are on PA.

I'm interested in hearing how many out there think that having these other bands added as Prog Related would be useful to the site. The reason i'm coming up with this is because everyone seems to be creating a Nurse With Wound List section on their site. That would include the band themselves for putting out the list. I feel they qualify as well simply for pointing the world into the obscure prog arenas. 

Discogs did it

Rate Your Music is filled with different ones

Wayside Music that is a mandatory prog shoppers paradise has one

You can type inin a search engine and see tons of sites that include all the artists. Yes, i'm aware that a great number of these artists aren't progressive rock per se, but since this site has a liberal number of artists who are simply tagged prog related, who believes that being on this most revered list is enough to qualify as such?

Question

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2017 at 23:07
THE LIST from Wikipedia
Nurse with Wound list - Wikipedia

A[edit]

B[edit]

C[edit]

D[edit]

E[edit]

• Eiliff, German jazz-rock group.
  • Emtidi, German duo of Maik Hirschfeldt and Dolly Holmes.
  • Eroc, German drummer and multi-instrumentaluist Joachim H. Ehrig. Was a member of Grobschnitt (see below).
  • Etron Fou Leloublan, French rock group. Part of the Rock in Opposition movement.
  • Exmagma, German rock group. They have no relation to the French band Magma.

F[edit]

G[edit]

• Gash, German rock band.
  • Ron Geesin, British composer, musician, producer. Has worked with Pink Floyd.
  • Gila, German rock group.
  • Jef Gilson, French musician.
  • Glaxo Babies, British rock group.
  • God in Disguise, see Förklädd Gud (above)
  • Gomorrha, German rock group.
  • Gong, British/French rock group.
  • Good Missionaries side-project of Alternative TV (see above).
  • Le Grand Magic Circus, French performance group. Danny Elfman was once a member.
  • John Greaves and Peter Blegvad (and Lisa Herman), collaboration between members of Henry Cow (see below) and Slapp Happy.
  • Fernando Grillo, Italian contrabass player with ties to the Fluxus scene.
  • Ragnar Grippe, Swedish electronic musician composer.
  • Grobschnitt, German rock group. Also see Eroc (above).
  • Group 1850, Dutch rock group.
  • Jean Guérin, French multi-instrumentalist.
  • Friedrich Gulda Austrian pianist and composer. Was a member of Anima-Sound (see above).
  • Guru Guru, German rock group. Also see Uli Trepte (below).

H[edit]

I[edit]

J[edit]

K[edit]

L[edit]

M[edit]

• Magical Power Mako, Japanese rock group.
  • Magma, French rock group led by Christian Vander (see below).
  • Colette Magny, French singer, songwriter, and composer.
  • Mahjun, French rock group led by Jean-Louis Mahjun.
  • Mahogany Brain, French rock group.
  • Malfatti-Wittwer, jazz duo of Austrian Radu Malfatti and Swiss Stephan Wittwer.
  • Mama Dada 1919, American rock group.
  • Michael Mantler, Austrian musician. Member of The Jazz Composer's Orchestra. Has worked with Steve Lacy (see above), Carla BleyTerje Rypdal (see below), and Robert Wyatt (see below).
  • Albert Marcoeur, French musician.
  • Mars, American rock group. Members: Sumner Crane, Nancy Arlen, Mark Cunningham, and China Burg.
  • Maschine Nr. 9, German studio project of Hans Eichleiter, Georg Deuter, and Hans Greb with assistance from a large number of real and sampled voices.
  • Mate and Vallancien, French duo of Philippe Mate and Daniel Vallancien.
  • Costin Miereanu, French composer and musician.
  • Min Bul, Norwegian jazz-rock trio of Terje Rypdal (see below), Bjørnar Andresen, and Espen Rud.
  • Mnemonists, American group. Later became the group Biota.
  • Modry Efekt (Blue Effect), Czech rock group.
  • Moolah, American duo of Maurice Roberson and Walter Burns.
  • Anthony Moore, British musician. Was member of Slapp Happy and Henry Cow (see above).
  • Mothers of Invention, American rock group featuring Frank Zappa (see below). Some other members included Jimmy Carl BlackDon PrestonBunk Gardner, and Ray Collins. After Zappa went solo, several of the other members formed the group The Grandmothers.
  • Moving Gelatine Plates, French group.
  • Fritz Müller (Fritz Müller Rock), German musician Eberhard Kranemann. Was member of Kraftwerk (see above) and Neu! (see below).
  • Thierry Müller, French musician and leader of the group Ilitch. Also in the group Ruth with Ruth Ellyeri and Philippe Doray (see above).
  • Musica Elettronica Viva (MEV), American-European improv group. Members have included Alvin CurranFrederic RzewskiRichard Teitelbaum, Allan Bryant, Ivan Coaquette, and Ivan Vandor. Has worked with AMM (see above).
  • Music Improvisation Company, jazz ensemble led by Derek Bailey.
  • Mythos, German rock group.

N[edit]

O[edit]

P[edit]

R[edit]

S[edit]

T[edit]

U[edit]

V[edit]

W[edit]

X[edit]

Y[edit]

• Ya Ho Wha 13, American commune and rock group. Recorded under various names such as Father Yod And The Spirit Of '76 and Fire, Water, Air. Sky Saxon, from the group The Seeds, was once a member of the commune, though he did not participate in the rock band.
  • La Monte Young, American composer and musician.

Z[edit]

Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2017 at 04:23
I've found a lot of great albums through this list (lots of sh*te also), but I think we should look at each band individually and hear if it fits with any of our subs. There are loads of artists in the NWW list that fit perfectly here on PA just as there are others that don't (the post-punk acts for example). 

I think it would be cool to make a designated NWW thread (hell we can even make it a sticky one so it doesn't disappear) where folks can discuss it's virtues and whatnot - maybe even sort out which artists fit the site and how best to place them. 

Including everything under the Prog Related banner would be a monumental task and seriously perplexing to the casual visitor that now is faced with a Prog Related sub that not only spans sorta-proggy-sounding artists but now features all-out experimental free-jazz, punk, drone, noise and klezmer. Nahh it wouldn't work.
Better to go one at a time and see where it fits.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2017 at 05:03
If we include everything on the list do we include NWW themselves? It's not a 'prog' list as opposed to a 'experimental' list. Prog Related really doesn't need anything more added to it.
Magma America Great Make Again
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2017 at 07:25
^ Yeah we should add NWW themselves. Well about how ONLY adding NWW themselves as Prog Related and then have the list attached to this biography. I understand why adding every artist would be problematic but it didn't stop a desire to see them all here anyway!

^ Guldbumsen, yeah! A sticky thread would be cool. Personally i just ordered a whole bunch of (x=pensive) stuff from Wayside Music sole based on this list. Just got the Brainticket box set that covers evertyhing from 1971 - 80, Thirsty Moon, Ibliss, Family Fodder, Arzachel, Xhol Caravan, Et Cetera (German), Brast Burn, Agitation Free 2nd, Plastic People of the Universe and more!

mechanicalflattery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2017 at 09:00
Does Nurse With Wound really have a place on Progarchives? Prog-related hardly seems fitting (NWW alongside David Bowie and Led Zeppelin?). If anything, RIO/Avant would be the closest fitting genre, although it's still quite a leap, and once you've admitted NWW, a thousand other noise/industrial/collage groups are now eligible for entry. While many of us in the forums do tend to have more general tastes, with a special appreciation for experimental music, I don't suspect that's the desire of the average Progarchives visitor, who is more interested in prog itself.  
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2017 at 10:21
^He's right, you know.
I've discovered tons of obscure artists through The Nurse With Wound list. And I do love Nurse With Wound.

However, as bad and as fanboy-y as that is going to sound, I was very disappointed not to see on that list. Confused
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2017 at 11:35
Originally posted by ALotOfBottle ALotOfBottle wrote:

^He's right, you know.
I've discovered tons of obscure artists through The Nurse With Wound list. And I do love Nurse With Wound.

However, as bad and as fanboy-y as that is going to sound, I was very disappointed not to see on that list. Confused

I'm going to assume you meant to put Egg in there, correct me if I'm wrong LOL

For those who are interested, Vas Deferens Organization, in their album Sweat Your Cheeses But Not In My Salad, put together another list in the same vein as NWW, except with another couple of decades worth of music to draw on. VDO clearly likes prog even more than NWW (Egg is included) and the list is much lengthier, albeit loaded with more one-off obscure artists with dubious claims to musical importance.

ACHWGHA NEY WODEI * AFRICAN HEAD CHARGE * AFTER DINNER * AGITATION FREE * AKSAK MABOUL * ALCATRAZ * ALESIA COSMOS * ALGARNAS TRADGARD * DAEVID ALLEN * ALPHATAURUS * ALTAIS * CHARLES AMIRKHANIAN * AMM * AMON DUUL * AMON DUUL 2 * AMOS KEY * ANAL MAGIC & REV. DWIGHT FRIZZELL * ANGE * ANNEXUS QUAM * APHRODITES CHILD * ARACHNOID * ARBETE & FRITID * ARCHAIA * ARCHIMEDES BADKAR * AREA * ART BEARS * ARTCANE * ARTI & MESTIERI * ART MOULU * ART ZOYD * ASH RA TEMPEL * ASSOCIATION P.C. * ATOLL * AXIS * AXOLOTL * KEVIN AYERS * IL BALLETTO DI BRONZO * BANCO DEL MUTUO SOCCORSO * SYD BARRETT * FRANCO BATTIATO * GIORGIO BATTISTELLI * FRANCOIS BAYLE * BEELZEBUB YOUTH * BETWEEN MEALS * BIGLIETTO PER L'INFERNO * BIOTA * BLACKHUMOUR * BLACK SHEEP * BLACK SUN ENSEMBLE * BLADDER FLASK * KARL BLAKE * THE BLECH * BLITZOIDS * BONDAGE FRUIT * BOREDOMS * BRAINSTORM * BRAINTICKET * BRAST BURN * BRAVE NEW WORLD * BRISE-GLACE * BRUME * BUBU * TIM BUCKLEY * FRIEDER BUTZMANN * CAMBERWELL NOW * CAMPO DI MARTE * CAN * CAPTAIN BEEFHEART AND THE MAGIC BAND * C.A. QUINTET * CAROLINER RAINBOW * CARTOON * CASSIBER * CATALOGUE * CATHEDRAL * CERVELLO * CEYLEIB PEOPLE * EUGENE CHADBOURNE * CHECKPOINT CHARLIE * CHE SHIZU * CHILLUM * MICHEL CHION * CHORCHAZADE * CHOU PAHROT * HENNING CHRISTIANSEN * CHROME * CHRYSTAL BELLE SCROD * CIRCUS 2000 * CLEAR BLUE SKY * CLEARLIGHT * CLUSTER * CODE 3 * JEAN COHEN-SOLAL * COLLEGIUM MUSICUM * ROBERTO COLOMBO * COLOSSEUM * CONTORTIONS * CORNICOPIA * CORTE DEI MIRACOLI * COS * THE COSMIC JOKERS * COSTES * COTO EN PEL * LOL COXHILL * CRASH WORSHIP * THE CRAVATS * CRO MAGNON * CUL DE SAC * FRANCESCO CURRA * CURRENT 93 * CZAR * HOLGER CZUKAY * BARRY DALIVE * DANTALIAN'S CHARIOT * DARK SHADOWS * WOLFGANG DAUNER * MILES DAVIS * DEBILE MENTHOL * DECAYES * DECIBEL * DEDALUS * DE FABRIEK * DEFICIT DES ANNEES ANTERIEURES * DEMI-SEMI QUAVER * DANIEL DENIS * DEPARTMENT STORE SANTAS * DEUTER * DEUX FILLES * DEVIANTS * DEVO * DG 307 * THE DICKIES * DIE TODLICHE DORIS * DIMTHINGS * D.N.A. * DNA LE DRAW D-KEE * DOM * DOME * DON BRADSHAM LEATHER * DOODOOETTES * PHILIPPE DORAY * DRAGONWYCK * DR. JOHN * JOHN DUNCAN * THE DUKES OF STRATOSPHEAR * DUN * DZYAN * EAST BIONIC SYMPHONIA * EAST OF EDEN * EGG * 801 * EINSTURZENDE NEUBAUTEN * ELECTRIC CIRCUS * ELECTRIC COMPANY * ELECTRIC FRANKENSTEIN * ELECTRO STATIC CAT * EL TARRO DE MOSTAZA * EMBRYO * ENCORE + GRANDE * ENEMA & GEJONTE * BRIAN ENO * EROC * ESKATON * ETANT DONNES * ET CETERA * ETRON FOU LELOUBLAN * EULENSPYGEL * THE EX & TOM CORA * EXPANDER DES FORTSCHRITTS * JAD FAIR * FAIRPORT CONVENTION * FAT * FATHER YOD * FAUST * FERDINAND ET LES PHILOSOPHES * LUC FERRARI * FIBONACCIS * FILLE QUI MOUSSE * FIRE * FISH AND ROSES * FIVE STARCLE MEN * 5 UU'S * FLEA * FLESHQUARTETTEN * FLOH DE COLOGNE * FOODBRAIN * 49 AMERICANS * LES 4 GUITARISTES DE L'APOCALYPSO BAR * FRASER * FRESHLY WRAPPED CANDIES * FRIENDSOUND * ROBERT FRIPP * FRED FRITH * PETER FROHMADER * DAVID FULTON * FUNCTION DISORDER * FUNKADELIC * FURIOUS PIG * FUSIOON * GAA * GADGETS * DIAMANDA GALAS * GARYBALDI * RON GEESIN * GEINOH YAMASHIROGUMI * GEINS'T NAIT * GENTLE GIANT * GERMAN OAK * GESTALT ET JIVE * GHOST * ANNE GILLIS * THE GIRLS * GNIDROLOG * GOBLIN * THE GODZ * GOEBBELS & HARTH * SERGIUS GOLOWIN * GONG * GRACIOUS! * RANDY GREIF * RAGNAR GRIPPE * GROUP 1850 * GURU GURU * HAINO / MIKAMI / YOSHIZAWA * PETER HAMMILL * HANIWA CHAN * STEN HANSON * HAPPY FAMILY * HAPSHASH AND THE COLOURED COAT * HARMONIA * JON HASSELL * HATFIELD AND THE NORTH * THE HAT SHOES * CHRISTOPH HEEMANN * HELDON * HELLEBORE * PIERRE HENRY * HENRY COW * HERATIUS * HET * THE HIGH FIDELITY ORCHESTRA * HIGH TIDE * JUNJI HIROSE & YOSHIDE OTOMO * SHELLY HIRSCH * THE HISTORY OF UNHEARD MUSIC * H.N.A.S. * LARS HOLLMER * HONEYELK * HONEYMOON KILLERS * THE HONEYMOONS * HUGH HOPPER * HORDE CATALYTIQUE POUR LE FIN * HORRIFIC CHILD * HOSONO AND YOKOO * HUMAN HANDS * HYBRID KIDS * IBIS * ICECROSS * I.D. COMPANY * IGRA STAKLENIH PERLI * ILITCH * ILTAR * IMAGES AND AVANT-QUART * IMP INK * INTERSYSTEMS * IOS SMOLDERS * ISKRA * I TEOREMI * IT `VIAGE' * MARTIN DAVORIN JAGODIC * JOEBOY * JOHN GAVANTI * JOHNNY RONDO DUO * JOE JONES * JUMBO * KAKHUSEN-JOH NO ONGAKU * KANGAROO KOURT * KARUNA KHYALL * KATAHTONIOS * KATRA TURANA * KING CRIMSON * BASIL KIRCHIN * KRZYSZTOF KNITTEL * CHRIS KNOX * KOENJIHYAKKEI * KRAFTWERK * KRALDJURSANSTALTEN * KULTIVATOR * KULU HATHA MAMNUA * LADY JUNE * LAGGER BLUES MACHINE * LARD FREE * LAUGHING HANDS * LE FORTE FOUR * LEMON KITTENS * L'ENSEMBLE RAYE * LEO NERO * LES VAMPYRETTES * LIEUTENANT CARAMEL * LIFT * LIMBUS 4 * L'INFONIE * LOCH NESS * LOUK DE BOUK * LOOP * LOOP ORCHESTRA * LOUNGE LIZARDS * LOVE LIVE LIFE+1 * THE LOWEST NOTE ON THE ORGAN * LUDUS * RENE LUSSIER * LUXURIOUS BAGS * L. VOAG * MAAT * MAGICAL POWER MAKO * MAGMA * MAHAVISHNU ORCHESTRA * MAHOGANY BRAIN * MAIN * MAITREYA KALI * THE MAKERS OF THE DEAD TRAVEL FAST * IVO MALEC * LES MALEDICTUS SOUND * MAMMUT * PHIL MANZANERA * CHRISTIAN MARCLAY * ALBERT MARCOEUR * MARKS AND LEBZELTER * SALVATORE MARTIRANO * MASSACRE * MASSTISHADDHU * MATCHING MOLE * MAUVE SIDESHOW * M.B. * MCDONALD AND GILES * MCH BAND * MEDICINE * MELODIC ENERGY COMMISSION * MERCURY REV * METABOLIST * METAMORPHOSIS * RODGER MILLER * PHIL MINTON * MIXED BAND PHILANTHROPIST * MIZUTAMA SHOB0DAN * KIMIO MIZUTANI * MNEMONISTS * MODULO 1000 * DIETER MOEBIUS * THE MOMES * MONITOR * MOOLAH * MOOSEHEART FAITH STELLAR GROOVE BAND * DAVID MOSS * THE MOTHERS OF INVENTION * MOTOR TOTEMIST GUILD * MOVING GELETINE PLATES * THE MUFFINS * THIERRY MULLER * MUSICA ELETTRONICA VIVA * MUTANTES * MYRBEIN * MY BLOODY VALENTINE * NAKED CITY * NAME * NARWAL * NASH THE SLASH * NATIONAL HEALTH * THE NAZZ * NEGATIVLAND * NEKTAR * NEO ZELANDA * NERVOUS GENDER * NEU! * C. NEWMAN * NEWS FROM BABEL * MAGGIE NICOLS & JULIE TIPPETTS * NIHILIST SPASM BAND * NINE DAYS WONDER * HERMANN NITSCH * NOA * NOCTURNAL EMISSIONS * NOMADIA * NO SAFETY * NU CREATIVE METHODS * GARY NUMAN * NURSE WITH WOUND * NYL * OFFICER! * OHO * OLIVER * OMOIDE HAOTOBA * OPERATING THEATRE * ORCHID SPANGIAFORA * ORGANISATION * ORGANUM * OSANNA * OSE * OVERHANG * PARTY * PACIFIC 231 ET DENIER DU CULTE * MR. PARTRIDGE * PATAPHONIE * RON PATES' DEBONAIRES * JEAN-FRANCOIS PAUVROS * PEGGY'S LEG * PERE UBU * LUIS PEREZ * PFS * PHEW * GLEN PHILLIPS * PHLUPH * PHOLAS DACTYLUS * PICCHIO DAL POZZO * PICKY PICNIC * PIERROT LUNAIRE * RICHARD PINHAS * PINK FLOYD * PLASTIC ONO BAND * PLASTIC PEOPLE OF THE UNIVERSE * PLAT DU JOUR * POLE * POLKAHOLICS * POPOL VUH * BOMIS PRENDIN * PRESENT * PRICK DECAY * PRINCESS TINYMEAT * PRO POCIT JISTOTY * P16.D4 * PSYCHIC TV * PSYNKOPAT * PTOSE * PULSAR * PUNGO * PUSSY * PYROLATOR * QUELLA VECCHIA LOCANDA * QUIET SUN * TOM RECCHION * RED CRAYOLA * RED NOISE * MICHEL REDOLFI * THE REFLECTIONS * ACHIM REICHEL * HANS REICHEL * RENALDO AND THE LOAF * THE RESIDENTS * MARTIN REV * REVIVAL * RHAMANN * CATHERINE RIBEIRO & ALPES * GILLES RIEDER * RITUAL ALL 7-70 * R.N.A. ORGANISM * ROCKY'S FILJ * GEORGE ROMANOS * IL ROVESCIO DELLA MEDAGLIA * ROWENTA/KHAN * ROXY MUSIC * THE RUDY SCHWARTZ PROJECT * RUINS * RUNZELSTIRN AND GURGLESTOCK * SAMLA MAMMAS MANNA * CARLES SANTOS * SAT STOICIZMO * SAVAGE REPUBLIC * DANIEL SCHELL & DICK ANNEGARN * SCHIZO * LA SECONDA GENESI * SECOND HAND * SECRET OYSTER * SEMANTICS * SEMIRAMIS SEMOOL * SENSATIONS FIX * SEPI-KUU * SEPSIS * SEVERED HEADS * ELLIOTT SHARP * ADRIAN SHERWOOD * SHOULDER OF MUTTON * SHUB NIGGURATH * SHYLOCK * SILVER APPLES * SINDELFINGEN * SIX CYLINDRES EN V * SLAPP HAPPY * SMEGMA * SALLY SMMIT AND HER MUSICIANS * LA SOCIETE DES TIMIDES A LA PARADE DES OISEAUX * SOFT MACHINE * SOLID EYE * SOULED AMERICAN * SPACEBOX * SPACECRAFT * SPACE STREAKINGS * SPARKS * ALEXANDER SPENCE * S.P.K. * SPROTON LAYER * STEAMING COILS * SIMON STEENSLAND * STEREOLAB * STILLUPPSTEYPA * STRANGE FRUIT ABIKU * DEMETRIO STRATOS * SUBRBAN LAWNS * SUBJECTS * SUICIDE * SUN CITY GIRLS * SUN DIAL * SUN RA * SUPERSISTER * SWANS * SWELL MAPS * SZENTENDRE * HAJIME TACHIBANA * TAIRIKUOTOKO VS. SANMYAKUONNA * TAJ MAHAL TRAVELERS * TAKO * TALL DWARFS * TANGERINE DREAM * TANGLE EDGE * TARKUS * GHEDALIA TAZARTES * TENKO * TERRACED GARDEN * TESENDALO * THINKING PLAGUE * THIS HEAT * DAVID THOMAS * THROBBING GRISTLE * TIPOGRAPHICA * TOBRUK * MONIEK TOEBOSCH * PAOLO TOFANI * TOKYO KID BROTHERS * TOLERANCE * TOMORROW'S GIFT * TONE DOGS * TO NIGE SALA * TRAFFIC SOUND * ULI TREPTE * TRETTIOARIGA KRIGET * TRIO * TUPELO CHAIN SEX * TUXEDOMOON * TWO DAUGHTERS * TYNDALL * ULUDAG * UN DEPARTMENT * UN DRAME MUSICALE INSTANTANE * UNIVERS ZERO * UNREST WORK & PLAY * UR KAOS * U-TOTEM * VAGINA DENTATA ORGAN * VAGTAZO HALLOTKEMEK * VAN BEBBER / LEMKE * CHRISTIAN VANDER * VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR * V-EFFECT * VELVET UNDERGROUND * VERTO * PATRICK VIAN * VIDEO-AVENTURES * VIOLET LIGHTNING * VITAMIN B-12 * BERNARD VITET & HELENE SAGE * VIVENZA * VOGELSCHEISS UND SEINE VERRUKTEN KROTEN * VON ZAMLA * MICHEL WAISVISZ * TOM WAITS * IGOR WAKHEVITCH * WALL OF VOODOO * WAPASSOU * WALTER WEGMUELLER * WEIDORJE * WHA HA HA * WHITE NOISE * JOHN WIGGINS * TREVOR WISHART * WOO * THE WORK * ROBERT WYATT * XTC * X-TET * YES * YEZDA URFA * TATSUYA YOSHIDA * THIERRY ZABOITZEFF * ZAMLA MAMMAZ MANNA * FRANK ZAPPA * ZNR * ZOVIET FRANCE * ZUT UN FEU ROUGE * ZWEISTIEN

Awkwardly copied and pasted from: http://blog.wfmu.org/freeform/2007/04/the_odd_recomme.html
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2017 at 12:23
Originally posted by mechanicalflattery mechanicalflattery wrote:

Originally posted by ALotOfBottle ALotOfBottle wrote:

^He's right, you know.

I'm going to assume you meant to put Egg in there, correct me if I'm wrong LOL

For those who are interested, Vas Deferens Organization, in their album Sweat Your Cheeses But Not In My Salad, put together another list in the same vein as NWW, except with another couple of decades worth of music to draw on. VDO clearly likes prog even more than NWW (Egg is included) and the list is much lengthier, albeit loaded with more one-off obscure artists with dubious claims to musical importance.

ACHWGHA NEY WODEI * AFRICAN HEAD CHARGE * AFTER DINNER * AGITATION FREE * AKSAK MABOUL * ALCATRAZ * ALESIA COSMOS * ALGARNAS TRADGARD * DAEVID ALLEN * ALPHATAURUS * ALTAIS * CHARLES AMIRKHANIAN * AMM * AMON DUUL * AMON DUUL 2 * AMOS KEY * ANAL MAGIC & REV. DWIGHT FRIZZELL * ANGE * ANNEXUS QUAM * APHRODITES CHILD * ARACHNOID * ARBETE & FRITID * ARCHAIA * ARCHIMEDES BADKAR * AREA * ART BEARS * ARTCANE * ARTI & MESTIERI * ART MOULU * ART ZOYD * ASH RA TEMPEL * ASSOCIATION P.C. * ATOLL * AXIS * AXOLOTL * KEVIN AYERS * IL BALLETTO DI BRONZO * BANCO DEL MUTUO SOCCORSO * SYD BARRETT * FRANCO BATTIATO * GIORGIO BATTISTELLI * FRANCOIS BAYLE * BEELZEBUB YOUTH * BETWEEN MEALS * BIGLIETTO PER L'INFERNO * BIOTA * BLACKHUMOUR * BLACK SHEEP * BLACK SUN ENSEMBLE * BLADDER FLASK * KARL BLAKE * THE BLECH * BLITZOIDS * BONDAGE FRUIT * BOREDOMS * BRAINSTORM * BRAINTICKET * BRAST BURN * BRAVE NEW WORLD * BRISE-GLACE * BRUME * BUBU * TIM BUCKLEY * FRIEDER BUTZMANN * CAMBERWELL NOW * CAMPO DI MARTE * CAN * CAPTAIN BEEFHEART AND THE MAGIC BAND * C.A. QUINTET * CAROLINER RAINBOW * CARTOON * CASSIBER * CATALOGUE * CATHEDRAL * CERVELLO * CEYLEIB PEOPLE * EUGENE CHADBOURNE * CHECKPOINT CHARLIE * CHE SHIZU * CHILLUM * MICHEL CHION * CHORCHAZADE * CHOU PAHROT * HENNING CHRISTIANSEN * CHROME * CHRYSTAL BELLE SCROD * CIRCUS 2000 * CLEAR BLUE SKY * CLEARLIGHT * CLUSTER * CODE 3 * JEAN COHEN-SOLAL * COLLEGIUM MUSICUM * ROBERTO COLOMBO * COLOSSEUM * CONTORTIONS * CORNICOPIA * CORTE DEI MIRACOLI * COS * THE COSMIC JOKERS * COSTES * COTO EN PEL * LOL COXHILL * CRASH WORSHIP * THE CRAVATS * CRO MAGNON * CUL DE SAC * FRANCESCO CURRA * CURRENT 93 * CZAR * HOLGER CZUKAY * BARRY DALIVE * DANTALIAN'S CHARIOT * DARK SHADOWS * WOLFGANG DAUNER * MILES DAVIS * DEBILE MENTHOL * DECAYES * DECIBEL * DEDALUS * DE FABRIEK * DEFICIT DES ANNEES ANTERIEURES * DEMI-SEMI QUAVER * DANIEL DENIS * DEPARTMENT STORE SANTAS * DEUTER * DEUX FILLES * DEVIANTS * DEVO * DG 307 * THE DICKIES * DIE TODLICHE DORIS * DIMTHINGS * D.N.A. * DNA LE DRAW D-KEE * DOM * DOME * DON BRADSHAM LEATHER * DOODOOETTES * PHILIPPE DORAY * DRAGONWYCK * DR. JOHN * JOHN DUNCAN * THE DUKES OF STRATOSPHEAR * DUN * DZYAN * EAST BIONIC SYMPHONIA * EAST OF EDEN * EGG * 801 * EINSTURZENDE NEUBAUTEN * ELECTRIC CIRCUS * ELECTRIC COMPANY * ELECTRIC FRANKENSTEIN * ELECTRO STATIC CAT * EL TARRO DE MOSTAZA * EMBRYO * ENCORE + GRANDE * ENEMA & GEJONTE * BRIAN ENO * EROC * ESKATON * ETANT DONNES * ET CETERA * ETRON FOU LELOUBLAN * EULENSPYGEL * THE EX & TOM CORA * EXPANDER DES FORTSCHRITTS * JAD FAIR * FAIRPORT CONVENTION * FAT * FATHER YOD * FAUST * FERDINAND ET LES PHILOSOPHES * LUC FERRARI * FIBONACCIS * FILLE QUI MOUSSE * FIRE * FISH AND ROSES * FIVE STARCLE MEN * 5 UU'S * FLEA * FLESHQUARTETTEN * FLOH DE COLOGNE * FOODBRAIN * 49 AMERICANS * LES 4 GUITARISTES DE L'APOCALYPSO BAR * FRASER * FRESHLY WRAPPED CANDIES * FRIENDSOUND * ROBERT FRIPP * FRED FRITH * PETER FROHMADER * DAVID FULTON * FUNCTION DISORDER * FUNKADELIC * FURIOUS PIG * FUSIOON * GAA * GADGETS * DIAMANDA GALAS * GARYBALDI * RON GEESIN * GEINOH YAMASHIROGUMI * GEINS'T NAIT * GENTLE GIANT * GERMAN OAK * GESTALT ET JIVE * GHOST * ANNE GILLIS * THE GIRLS * GNIDROLOG * GOBLIN * THE GODZ * GOEBBELS & HARTH * SERGIUS GOLOWIN * GONG * GRACIOUS! * RANDY GREIF * RAGNAR GRIPPE * GROUP 1850 * GURU GURU * HAINO / MIKAMI / YOSHIZAWA * PETER HAMMILL * HANIWA CHAN * STEN HANSON * HAPPY FAMILY * HAPSHASH AND THE COLOURED COAT * HARMONIA * JON HASSELL * HATFIELD AND THE NORTH * THE HAT SHOES * CHRISTOPH HEEMANN * HELDON * HELLEBORE * PIERRE HENRY * HENRY COW * HERATIUS * HET * THE HIGH FIDELITY ORCHESTRA * HIGH TIDE * JUNJI HIROSE & YOSHIDE OTOMO * SHELLY HIRSCH * THE HISTORY OF UNHEARD MUSIC * H.N.A.S. * LARS HOLLMER * HONEYELK * HONEYMOON KILLERS * THE HONEYMOONS * HUGH HOPPER * HORDE CATALYTIQUE POUR LE FIN * HORRIFIC CHILD * HOSONO AND YOKOO * HUMAN HANDS * HYBRID KIDS * IBIS * ICECROSS * I.D. COMPANY * IGRA STAKLENIH PERLI * ILITCH * ILTAR * IMAGES AND AVANT-QUART * IMP INK * INTERSYSTEMS * IOS SMOLDERS * ISKRA * I TEOREMI * IT `VIAGE' * MARTIN DAVORIN JAGODIC * JOEBOY * JOHN GAVANTI * JOHNNY RONDO DUO * JOE JONES * JUMBO * KAKHUSEN-JOH NO ONGAKU * KANGAROO KOURT * KARUNA KHYALL * KATAHTONIOS * KATRA TURANA * KING CRIMSON * BASIL KIRCHIN * KRZYSZTOF KNITTEL * CHRIS KNOX * KOENJIHYAKKEI * KRAFTWERK * KRALDJURSANSTALTEN * KULTIVATOR * KULU HATHA MAMNUA * LADY JUNE * LAGGER BLUES MACHINE * LARD FREE * LAUGHING HANDS * LE FORTE FOUR * LEMON KITTENS * L'ENSEMBLE RAYE * LEO NERO * LES VAMPYRETTES * LIEUTENANT CARAMEL * LIFT * LIMBUS 4 * L'INFONIE * LOCH NESS * LOUK DE BOUK * LOOP * LOOP ORCHESTRA * LOUNGE LIZARDS * LOVE LIVE LIFE+1 * THE LOWEST NOTE ON THE ORGAN * LUDUS * RENE LUSSIER * LUXURIOUS BAGS * L. VOAG * MAAT * MAGICAL POWER MAKO * MAGMA * MAHAVISHNU ORCHESTRA * MAHOGANY BRAIN * MAIN * MAITREYA KALI * THE MAKERS OF THE DEAD TRAVEL FAST * IVO MALEC * LES MALEDICTUS SOUND * MAMMUT * PHIL MANZANERA * CHRISTIAN MARCLAY * ALBERT MARCOEUR * MARKS AND LEBZELTER * SALVATORE MARTIRANO * MASSACRE * MASSTISHADDHU * MATCHING MOLE * MAUVE SIDESHOW * M.B. * MCDONALD AND GILES * MCH BAND * MEDICINE * MELODIC ENERGY COMMISSION * MERCURY REV * METABOLIST * METAMORPHOSIS * RODGER MILLER * PHIL MINTON * MIXED BAND PHILANTHROPIST * MIZUTAMA SHOB0DAN * KIMIO MIZUTANI * MNEMONISTS * MODULO 1000 * DIETER MOEBIUS * THE MOMES * MONITOR * MOOLAH * MOOSEHEART FAITH STELLAR GROOVE BAND * DAVID MOSS * THE MOTHERS OF INVENTION * MOTOR TOTEMIST GUILD * MOVING GELETINE PLATES * THE MUFFINS * THIERRY MULLER * MUSICA ELETTRONICA VIVA * MUTANTES * MYRBEIN * MY BLOODY VALENTINE * NAKED CITY * NAME * NARWAL * NASH THE SLASH * NATIONAL HEALTH * THE NAZZ * NEGATIVLAND * NEKTAR * NEO ZELANDA * NERVOUS GENDER * NEU! * C. NEWMAN * NEWS FROM BABEL * MAGGIE NICOLS & JULIE TIPPETTS * NIHILIST SPASM BAND * NINE DAYS WONDER * HERMANN NITSCH * NOA * NOCTURNAL EMISSIONS * NOMADIA * NO SAFETY * NU CREATIVE METHODS * GARY NUMAN * NURSE WITH WOUND * NYL * OFFICER! * OHO * OLIVER * OMOIDE HAOTOBA * OPERATING THEATRE * ORCHID SPANGIAFORA * ORGANISATION * ORGANUM * OSANNA * OSE * OVERHANG * PARTY * PACIFIC 231 ET DENIER DU CULTE * MR. PARTRIDGE * PATAPHONIE * RON PATES' DEBONAIRES * JEAN-FRANCOIS PAUVROS * PEGGY'S LEG * PERE UBU * LUIS PEREZ * PFS * PHEW * GLEN PHILLIPS * PHLUPH * PHOLAS DACTYLUS * PICCHIO DAL POZZO * PICKY PICNIC * PIERROT LUNAIRE * RICHARD PINHAS * PINK FLOYD * PLASTIC ONO BAND * PLASTIC PEOPLE OF THE UNIVERSE * PLAT DU JOUR * POLE * POLKAHOLICS * POPOL VUH * BOMIS PRENDIN * PRESENT * PRICK DECAY * PRINCESS TINYMEAT * PRO POCIT JISTOTY * P16.D4 * PSYCHIC TV * PSYNKOPAT * PTOSE * PULSAR * PUNGO * PUSSY * PYROLATOR * QUELLA VECCHIA LOCANDA * QUIET SUN * TOM RECCHION * RED CRAYOLA * RED NOISE * MICHEL REDOLFI * THE REFLECTIONS * ACHIM REICHEL * HANS REICHEL * RENALDO AND THE LOAF * THE RESIDENTS * MARTIN REV * REVIVAL * RHAMANN * CATHERINE RIBEIRO & ALPES * GILLES RIEDER * RITUAL ALL 7-70 * R.N.A. ORGANISM * ROCKY'S FILJ * GEORGE ROMANOS * IL ROVESCIO DELLA MEDAGLIA * ROWENTA/KHAN * ROXY MUSIC * THE RUDY SCHWARTZ PROJECT * RUINS * RUNZELSTIRN AND GURGLESTOCK * SAMLA MAMMAS MANNA * CARLES SANTOS * SAT STOICIZMO * SAVAGE REPUBLIC * DANIEL SCHELL & DICK ANNEGARN * SCHIZO * LA SECONDA GENESI * SECOND HAND * SECRET OYSTER * SEMANTICS * SEMIRAMIS SEMOOL * SENSATIONS FIX * SEPI-KUU * SEPSIS * SEVERED HEADS * ELLIOTT SHARP * ADRIAN SHERWOOD * SHOULDER OF MUTTON * SHUB NIGGURATH * SHYLOCK * SILVER APPLES * SINDELFINGEN * SIX CYLINDRES EN V * SLAPP HAPPY * SMEGMA * SALLY SMMIT AND HER MUSICIANS * LA SOCIETE DES TIMIDES A LA PARADE DES OISEAUX * SOFT MACHINE * SOLID EYE * SOULED AMERICAN * SPACEBOX * SPACECRAFT * SPACE STREAKINGS * SPARKS * ALEXANDER SPENCE * S.P.K. * SPROTON LAYER * STEAMING COILS * SIMON STEENSLAND * STEREOLAB * STILLUPPSTEYPA * STRANGE FRUIT ABIKU * DEMETRIO STRATOS * SUBRBAN LAWNS * SUBJECTS * SUICIDE * SUN CITY GIRLS * SUN DIAL * SUN RA * SUPERSISTER * SWANS * SWELL MAPS * SZENTENDRE * HAJIME TACHIBANA * TAIRIKUOTOKO VS. SANMYAKUONNA * TAJ MAHAL TRAVELERS * TAKO * TALL DWARFS * TANGERINE DREAM * TANGLE EDGE * TARKUS * GHEDALIA TAZARTES * TENKO * TERRACED GARDEN * TESENDALO * THINKING PLAGUE * THIS HEAT * DAVID THOMAS * THROBBING GRISTLE * TIPOGRAPHICA * TOBRUK * MONIEK TOEBOSCH * PAOLO TOFANI * TOKYO KID BROTHERS * TOLERANCE * TOMORROW'S GIFT * TONE DOGS * TO NIGE SALA * TRAFFIC SOUND * ULI TREPTE * TRETTIOARIGA KRIGET * TRIO * TUPELO CHAIN SEX * TUXEDOMOON * TWO DAUGHTERS * TYNDALL * ULUDAG * UN DEPARTMENT * UN DRAME MUSICALE INSTANTANE * UNIVERS ZERO * UNREST WORK & PLAY * UR KAOS * U-TOTEM * VAGINA DENTATA ORGAN * VAGTAZO HALLOTKEMEK * VAN BEBBER / LEMKE * CHRISTIAN VANDER * VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR * V-EFFECT * VELVET UNDERGROUND * VERTO * PATRICK VIAN * VIDEO-AVENTURES * VIOLET LIGHTNING * VITAMIN B-12 * BERNARD VITET & HELENE SAGE * VIVENZA * VOGELSCHEISS UND SEINE VERRUKTEN KROTEN * VON ZAMLA * MICHEL WAISVISZ * TOM WAITS * IGOR WAKHEVITCH * WALL OF VOODOO * WAPASSOU * WALTER WEGMUELLER * WEIDORJE * WHA HA HA * WHITE NOISE * JOHN WIGGINS * TREVOR WISHART * WOO * THE WORK * ROBERT WYATT * XTC * X-TET * YES * YEZDA URFA * TATSUYA YOSHIDA * THIERRY ZABOITZEFF * ZAMLA MAMMAZ MANNA * FRANK ZAPPA * ZNR * ZOVIET FRANCE * ZUT UN FEU ROUGE * ZWEISTIEN

Awkwardly copied and pasted from: http://blog.wfmu.org/freeform/2007/04/the_odd_recomme.html

Wow, how could I have omitted this mistake? I did indeed mean Egg. You know me, man! LOL

This list is, at first glance, as interesting as the NWW one. Many more artists that I have never heard of. And it is much proggier, but also much broader overall (Tom Waits, Phil Manzanera solo etc.) Thanks a ton for sharing that! Loads of stuff to check out. Smile
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
Gordy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Folk/Eclectic/PSIKE/Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2017 at 15:42
I feel NWW would fit well on PA in either Krautrock or Progressive Electronic, if not Avant/RIO.

Edited by Gordy - May 10 2017 at 15:42
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2017 at 16:45
NWW themselves have been evaluated and rejected previously so this issue (as "NWW List") cannot be catered entirely.

Please separately suggest each of them that could be thought as progressive if you want. Thanks.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2017 at 16:53
^ Has anyone considered NWW as a prog related candidate? I agree that they don't exactly fit in under any of the subs here, at least the few releases i've experienced but my point is mainly that they and their list have been intricately connected to the prog world even if they only manufacture ambient experimental music themselves. Make a puppy feel good and add them!

..: Happy Tail Wagging - Animation Try :.. by Freewolf7

Gordy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Folk/Eclectic/PSIKE/Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2017 at 19:09
I second that emotion!

Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

^ Has anyone considered NWW as a prog related candidate? I agree that they don't exactly fit in under any of the subs here, at least the few releases i've experienced but my point is mainly that they and their list have been intricately connected to the prog world even if they only manufacture ambient experimental music themselves. Make a puppy feel good and add them!

Edited by Gordy - May 10 2017 at 19:12
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2017 at 02:30
NWW related artists are equal to Not-Prog-Related, let me say. 

Ahem, above mentioned, please suggest candidates one by one ... and this thread moved to "General Music Discussions".

Edited by DamoXt7942 - May 11 2017 at 03:13
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2017 at 07:56
^ Yes, i understand that. I'm requesting Nurse With Wound the band as a one request basis. Should i open up another thread for that? I think it's already been established that bands like Chrome don't have a chance

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2017 at 08:23

^ Yes, i understand that. I'm requesting Nurse With Wound the band as a one request basis. Should i open up another thread for that? I think it's already been established that bands like Chrome don't have a chance

You can if you like, but it'll likely get shot down pretty quickly. NWW's relation to prog is highly tentative, their relation to any specific prog sub-genre even more so. As far as I can tell, RIO/Avant is the only one with even the slightest shadow of a chance. Prog-Related is more for music that influenced prog, not vice versa. 

And as I mentioned before, admitting NWW opens the floodgates for countless other experimental acts having little or nothing to do with prog. 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2017 at 08:36
^ Not true. The prog related category is quite fluid. There are many reasons for including an artist in this category. Have you read the page that describes it?

Prog Related definition

No musical genre exists in a vacuum. Not all of the bands that have been a part of the history and development of progressive rock are necessarily progressive rock bands themselves. This is why progarchives has included a genre called prog-related, so we could include all the bands that complete the history of progressive rock, whether or not they were considered full-fledged progressive rock bands themselves. 

There are many criteria that the prog-related evaluation team considers when deciding which bands are considered prog-related. Very few bands will meet all of this criteria, but this list will give an idea as to some of the things that help evaluate whether an artists is prog-related or not. 

1) Influence on progressive rock - The groundbreaking work of artists like Led Zepplin and David Bowie affected many genres of rock, including at times progressive rock. Although both of these artists created rock music in a dizzying array of genres, both contributed to the ongoing history of progressive rock several times within the span of their careers. 

2) Location - Progressive rock did not develop at the same time all over the world. It may surprise some people that as late as the mid-70s the US had very few original progressive rock bands that did not sound like exact copies of British bands. Journey was one of the first US bands to present a uniquely American brand of prog-rock before they eventually became a mainstream rock band. We have collaborators from all over the world who tell us which bands helped the progressive rock scene develop in their corner of the globe, even if those bands were like Journey and were known more for being mainstream rock bands. 

3) Members of important progressive rock bands - Although most of the recorded solo output of artists like Greg Lake and David Gilmour falls more in a mainstream rock style, their contributions to progressive rock in their respective bands insures them a place in our prog-related genre. 

4) Timeliness - Like many genres, prog-rock has had its ups and downs. In the late 70s and early 80s prog-rock was barely a blip on the radar. During this time artists such as David Bowie and Metallica released albums that captured key elements of the spirit of prog rock and did so while contributing their own original modern elements to the mix. 

5) Integral part of the prog-rock scene - Sometimes you just had to be a part of the scene during a certain time period to understand how some bands fit with the prog rock scene of their time. Although Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath and Wishbone Ash may seem like mere hard rock bands, in their time they stood apart from other hard rockers with their more serious lyrical content and more developed compositions. Put simply, in the early 70s every prog-rock record collector usually had full collections of all three of these artists. These three bands were very much part of the prog-rock scene without being total prog-rock bands them selves. 

6) Influenced by progressive rock - From the late 60s till about 1976 the progressive tendency was in full effect in almost all genres of music. Once again, as we enter the second decade of the 21st century a melting pot of prog-metal, math-rock, progressive electronics and post-rock influences have once again made a progressive tendency in rock music almost more a norm than a difference. Yet in other periods of musical history receiving influence from progressive rock could really set a band apart and make them worthy of our prog-related category. 
Being influenced by progressive rock is hardly the only factor we look at, and in some periods of musical history it is almost meaningless, but still, it is almost a given that most of the artists listed in prog-related were influenced by the development of progressive rock. 

7) Common sense - Nitpicking over the above listed criteria is not necessarily the correct way to evaluate a band for prog-related. Sometimes you just have to use some common sense and look at the big picture. 
A very good way to describe prog-related would be to imagine an exhaustive book that covered the history of progressive rock. Would such a book include references to led Zeppelin's 'Stairway to Heaven', David Bowie's 'The Man Who Sold the World' or Queen's 'Bohemian Rhapsody'? Probably so. 
- Easy Money

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2017 at 08:39

You can if you like, but it'll likely get shot down pretty quickly. NWW's relation to prog is highly tentative, their relation to any specific prog sub-genre even more so. As far as I can tell, RIO/Avant is the only one with even the slightest shadow of a chance. Prog-Related is more for music that influenced prog, not vice versa. 

And as I mentioned before, admitting NWW opens the floodgates for countless other experimental acts having little or nothing to do with prog. 

Also the ONLY reason i'm suggesting NWW is beause of the LIST that is associated with their first album and how incredibly important that has been in steering prog seekers into hidden prog gems of the 70s. Ask hardcore proggers if they have used that list and most will give an enthusiastic YES, so unless other artists have done the same, it's not opening any floodgates. And i could argue those floodgates have already had some overspill with many artists i would never think belonged here but whatever!

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2017 at 08:44

^ Not true. The prog related category is quite fluid. There are many reasons for including an artist in this category. Have you read the page that describes it?

1) Influence on progressive rock
2) Location
3) Members of important progressive rock bands
4) Timeliness
5) Integral part of the prog-rock scene
6) Influenced by progressive rock - From the late 60s till about 1976 the progressive tendency was in full effect in almost all genres of music. Once again, as we enter the second decade of the 21st century a melting pot of prog-metal, math-rock, progressive electronics and post-rock influences have once again made a progressive tendency in rock music almost more a norm than a difference. Yet in other periods of musical history receiving influence from progressive rock could really set a band apart and make them worthy of our prog-related category. 
Being influenced by progressive rock is hardly the only factor we look at, and in some periods of musical history it is almost meaningless, but still, it is almost a given that most of the artists listed in prog-related were influenced by the development of progressive rock. 
7) Common sense - Nitpicking over the above listed criteria is not necessarily the correct way to evaluate a band for prog-related. Sometimes you just have to use some common sense and look at the big picture. 
A very good way to describe prog-related would be to imagine an exhaustive book that covered the history of progressive rock. Would such a book include references to led Zeppelin's 'Stairway to Heaven', David Bowie's 'The Man Who Sold the World' or Queen's 'Bohemian Rhapsody'? Probably so. 

That's a definite no on those first five categories. The latter two are debatable. Yes, NWW was influenced by prog. Most genres are influenced by those genres that came before. I wouldn't put U2 on a jazz site because they were inspired by A Love Supreme, same applies here. I bolded the relevant section. Likewise, common sense dictates that NWW would not be considered crucial to prog's development, or in any way maintaining the genre, as did acts like David Bowie or Iron Maiden. 

I'm probably the biggest NWW fan here, by the way, but their inclusion would cause a a significant snowball effect, all for including a group progressive only in concept (trying new things) and not in composition, style, genre, and presentation.

[
Also the ONLY reason i'm suggesting NWW is beause of the LIST that is associated with their first album and how incredibly important that has been in steering prog seekers into hidden prog gems of the 70s. Ask hardcore proggers if they have used that list and most will give an enthusiastic YES, so unless other artists have done the same, it's not opening any floodgates. And i could argue those floodgates have already had some overspill with many artists i would never think belonged here but whatever!

I'd argue a group should only be considered on the merits and qualities of the music, not whether they came up with a great list of other acts to listen to. Also, the NWW list probably isn't that big among proggers,s o much as lsiteners of general experimental music. I guarantee most Genesis/Yes/ELP/Tull freaks don't care about AMM or Alvin Lucier. Why would they? 

Edited by mechanicalflattery - May 11 2017 at 08:51
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2017 at 09:06

Hmm, I'm not sure if that relationship to prog would necessarily be enough to allow NWW into the database, but I definitely think it would be worthwhile to include the NWW List as an article in the "Prog Rock Guides" section of the site, since it is more of a discovery/recommendation tool than anything.
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>