Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedKansas cancels the whole european tour

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2017 at 14:13
It's been over for quite some time since Steve Walsh cancelled them.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
The Bearded Bard View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2017 at 14:14
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Europe is as safe as the USA, time to put on the tinfoil hat, stock up on canned food & barricade ourselves in the basement.Ermm
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2017 at 15:18
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I could understand why they might think that just having the name Kansas could put the band, roadies, audience etc. at more risk.

Srsly?

I like to think that some around here appreciate my odd sense of humour, but I am being serious.

Incidentally: Columbia man charged with plotting Islamic State terror attack on Kansas City

Europe is as safe as the USA, time to put on the tinfoil hat, stock up on canned food & barricade ourselves in the basement.Ermm

Of course I can't speak for the band Kansas, but I know that with the same level of security, I would feel safer playing in, say, Glendale than Molenbeek. I wasn't saying that the US is safer than Europe, but to many Americans that is the perception (especially when it comes to Islamic terrorism, probably not the perception to violence generally, or I would hope not). Look at that article, there was someone planning an IS inspired attack (seems like entrapment by the way) in Kansas City. So, Kansas isn't safe in Kansas from Islamic terrorism. And here's a man from Kansas who planned an IS inspired attack on an army base in Kansas: http://time.com/3817808/isis-kansas-man/ . If one were paranoid, one might think that because the bomb plot failed in the state of Kansas, maybe news will spread to Europe to plan an attack on the band Kansas instead.

It's largely about perception, and I think sometimes in such conversations people talk facts without recognizing perceptions that don't need to be based on big picture reality.

As for general safety, including safety from crime generally, it depends where you are in Europe and where you are in the US. Bad things can happen anywhere. I certainly feel safer here in Vancouver than I so when I cross the border even though I generally find the people friendlier south of the 49th parallel (Washington, Oregon). In Paris I didn't feel that safe. I got pick-pocketed on the first day by some kids in the metro (I had an empty wallet), and in Warsaw (I met Roger Waters there as we shared a hotel) someone else tried to pick my pockets. I've never worried about that here.

My point, though, about the band possibly fearing safety risks based on the band being named after a US state in the heartland of America is that there may be added hostility to Americans from heartland states, especially ones named after that state as politically they may get get associated with the more hawkish America. Maybe Kansas the band wouldn't be, I'm not a mind-reader, and I'm saying "maybe" and if they did, I could understand why they might feel that way. I have heard of Americans travelling using Canadian flags on their backpacks so that they would feel safer. Kansas Senator Pat Roberts (an NRA supporter who makes places Kansas less safe), along with other senators, said that Obama should step it up on ISIS. I'd like to see him fight al-Baghdadi mano-a-mano, but being such a big NRA supporter, he'd probably prefer pistols at dawn. He's also been quite the strident Republican when it comes to various terrorism issues: http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/sen-pat-roberts-says-terrorists-are-coming-kansas#54332

Anyway, maybe my perception of Kansas people is wrong, but I think of Kansas as a pretty redneck state where people (or politicians representing the state) are more likely to fear terrorism and want to lash out at so-called extremists than many other places. But I don't know the politics of the band Kansas at all (I don't even know if they live in Kansas), but I think that if I were an IS supporter, I would be more likely to want to target a band called Kansas than one called, say, Art Zoyd.

Sorry posting such a long post to such succinct comments.

I don't think I need to say that I think Trump is an utter nut job and fears are being greatly exaggerated and are often quite irrational, but if my Christian band Texas were to do an open-air concert, I might be more worried about a potential terrorist attack in the capital of France or Germany or Belgium or even in Luton (the crown jewel of Bedfordshire) than, say, the capital cities of the US and Canada (even though I wouldn't feel safe in Washington D.C. without my snipers, but then I never go anywhere without them). Maybe I'd be safer in Europe, but I could understand the perception. Actually, I think my band "The Unbelievers" would be in more danger in heartland America, because my band would be atheist (would bomb in Saudi Arabia too).

EDITED for numerous typos, and I bet there are more still.

Edited by Logan - May 12 2017 at 15:46
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2017 at 17:49
^ You will get bold red ink......possibly be called a nut job urself. But I will stand by you and pepper spray anyone comes close.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2017 at 19:58
Perhaps they realized they weren't in Kansas anymore....

...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2017 at 21:32
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Sorry but this seems like a poor excuse. Rather like ditching a tour of Asia due to recent Yeti attacks.

That's not new in USA.

Several school trips to Europe were cancelled after the movies Taken and Taken 2.....I'm sure some poor kids in Texas will never know anything past the limits of their county due to a stupid movie.

<blockquote style="margin: 0 0 0 40px; border: none; padding: 0px;">

<blockquote style="margin: 0 0 0 40px; border: none; padding: 0px;">
<font size="3" face="Times New Roman, Times, serif">R<span style="color: rgb40, 40, 40;">ecently as December, by the same South Texan schoolteacher who was struggling to take her students to Europe because of parental concern that has been sparked by the trilogy.</span>
<span style="font-family: "Times New Roman", Times, serif; font-size: medium; color: rgb40, 40, 40;">
</span>
<span style="font-family: "Times New Roman", Times, serif; font-size: medium; color: rgb40, 40, 40;">Neeson told the Australian press: "These kids had never been outside the state and she was desperate to get some assurance but what I am doing is writing her a letter or a to-whom-it-may-concern letter that she can print out or send to these parents that this is a movie. The chance of your kids being taken in Europe is one in 20 million or something."</span>
<font size="3" face="Times New Roman, Times, serif">The teacher had been trying to take 60 students on a tour of Europe, but parents of 40 of them refused to let them go and cited the Taken films as the reason for their concern.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/film-news/11327276/Liam-Neeson-tells-Texans-your-children-wont-get-taken-in-Europe.html

LOLLOLLOL

In the early-mid 90's Michael Jackson and Rod Stewart canceled their Peruvian concerts due to a warning issued by the USA government about Shining Path.

Not that it bothered me at all, but it was absurd Abimael Guzman had already been captured and there was no danger.

BTW: When Kansas was in Lima, I talked to them for a couple of hours, and one of the guys asked me if it was dangerous to leave the hotel because of terrorism, it was 2010, and we had not suffered a  terrorist attack in Lima for almost 2 decades.

He told me that they were warned.

As if the terrorists had a slight idea about who Kansas are....Maybe they will know Katy Perry or Madonna, but Kansas.

So, nobody should go to New York again... look at all the things that have happened to that city in the movies...
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2017 at 23:33
And also nobody should go to Fargo.......did u see that movie?
Zappy View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2017 at 01:32
absolutely ridiculous reasoning.period.
aprusso View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2017 at 03:07
Wow. While, instead, the US are very safe now..... and especially the midwest with all its shootings
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2017 at 03:08
Dictators (not the band) rule and win. Cancelling gigs with the possibility of terrorism means the terrorists win.

Kotro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2017 at 04:31
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Guys think "Eagles of Death Metal" and Paris.....That is what this is about. It's not about Kansas backing out, it is about protecting those that might be harmed at a show filled with innocent people. Yea the guys from Kansas walking around any European city would be fine, no doubt.

Put them on stage, in front of 8-12,000 people in a closed environment and its a tragic event waiting to happen....That's the world we live in.
"American Rock Band Ignores US Travel Warning......hundreds die at one of their shows in Europe due to terrorist act."
You/Kansas don't want to see that headline.......

8-12,000 people? It's Kansas. In Europe. It's not the second coming of Pink Floyd.
Bigger on the inside.
Kepler62 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2017 at 05:00

Guys think "Eagles of Death Metal" and Paris.....That is what this is about. It's not about Kansas backing out, it is about protecting those that might be harmed at a show filled with innocent people. Yea the guys from Kansas walking around any European city would be fine, no doubt.

Put them on stage, in front of 8-12,000 people in a closed environment and its a tragic event waiting to happen....That's the world we live in.
"American Rock Band Ignores US Travel Warning......hundreds die at one of their shows in Europe due to terrorist act."
You/Kansas don't want to see that headline.......

Well said, you beat me to it.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2017 at 05:04
I'll wear a floral dress if you get Kansas to bring in 1500 people a night. I'm sure they can gather 10000 folks in the States but here? Not even close.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
twseel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2017 at 05:08
And also, what if Kansas doesn't come? They'll fill it up with another rock band because Europe knows full well that we are not at a point where you can't play a goddamn rock show. I myself have been at two shows and two festivals since that attack, boy am I daring to still go out in public like that!
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2017 at 05:13
Simon mentioned it earlier and I too have thought about this announcement as some kind of smokescreen for not selling enough tickets. This way the band retains it's pride.

Btw I am cancelling my tour of Russia due to the increase of bears. Damn...and to think I am disappointing all my fans in the Urals.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2017 at 06:15
Actually, It is Europe that cancelled the tour of that un-prog band from the Prairies: they're believed to be Trump supportersDead and NRA enthusiastsAngryOuch

The risks of dangerous and malevolent contagion was too great to risk European population health TongueBig smile
Phaerdas View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2017 at 09:01
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Actually, It is Europe that cancelled the tour of that un-prog band from the Prairies: they're believed to be Trump supportersDead and NRA enthusiastsAngryOuch

The risks of dangerous and malevolent contagion was too great to risk European population health TongueBig smile

Lol, where did you find such info that they are trump or NRA supporters xD

Edited by Phaerdas - May 13 2017 at 09:01
RoeDent View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2017 at 09:39
Come on guys, it's obviously poor ticket sales, covered over with the security excuse. Hey, maybe the sales are so poor they can't afford security for themselves.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2017 at 09:41
Originally posted by RoeDent RoeDent wrote:

Come on guys, it's obviously poor ticket sales, covered over with the security excuse. Hey, maybe the sales are so poor they can't afford security for themselves.

Must admit that was my first thought.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2017 at 10:27

^ You will get bold red ink......possibly be called a nut job urself. But I will stand by you and pepper spray anyone comes close.

Thank you!

As Oscar Wilde put it, "I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an ass of yourself."
Just a fanboy passin' through.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>