Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedKansas cancels the whole european tour

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2017 at 23:05
I have just switched the news on. Police are treating it as a terrorist incident. It was at a concert by some Grande woman I have never heard of, but at Manchester's main arena.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2017 at 05:16
Awful news about last night's concert tragedy, what kind of person would target an audience of teenagers?

I was at a concert at a reasonable-sized, well-known venue in London last night and there was absolutely no security. There was a sign up saying you could only take one bag in per person but they only checked tickets on the door.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2017 at 08:51
I agree...why target an event populated by kids, why target ANY event???......I read some stuff from Ariana I cannot imagine how devastated she must be after last night.

Cowards.......
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2017 at 02:54
Apparently the terrorist was a bit of a misogynist. He disagreed with the lyrical import of Ariana Grande's music (according to evidence). Some notes were found and this conclusion was reached by the media.

Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2017 at 08:54
^And you.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2017 at 12:49
After the news in Manchester, I suppose that KANSAS made a good call in terms of cancelling their tour.

But I have mixed feelings. 

It's easy to see why a group of folks would target some of the women in concert, when they are half dressed/undressed, and not covered ... is my senile way of looking at things, and seeing those concerts as a huge commercial potential and result is obviously a very big threat that will (eventually) split up the younger folks that know, or have seen the rest of the world. 

Thus, in many ways, I would rather the band went on their tour and say something nice and polite, and maybe send a nice prayer, or song, to those that have died ... because they loved music! Instead, the band cancels it all.

If this was (basically) due to the lack or sales in various places that were putting the whole tour on financial strains and straits, that's understandable ... but it should be ackowledged, rather than hidden, I think! However, that is my call, not the band's.

I'm not sure, that a rock concert is any safer than a soccer stadium in Europe, or a football stadium in America ... but the financial side of it, is something that you and I are not exactly aware of to be able to know/understand the reasons a bit better. 

But seeing what happened last week, is sort of like saying ... I told you so ... and that is kinda scary ... even though I do not think that KANSAS has any more chances of getting attacked, any more than many European bands that have a much stronger and louder political content, than we usually accept ... I'm, pretty sure we don't want Osanna, or Savage Rose ... or a few other bands ... get ripped apart the same way a concert did in England! Or worse, have one of our favorite bands, get torn up ... which makes Roger Waters, a very visible target, doesn't it?
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2017 at 01:56
Appears that the US government had actually got some viable intel ( for a changeTongue) . Sad that Kansas could not perform. I was lucky enough to see them at the Shepherds Bush Empire back in about 2004 and it was one of the best gigs I've seen especially for an 'ageing prog band'. They really went for it and Steve Walsh was near god like that night. Anyway I just hope that Europe and especially the UK can become a safer place to encourage bands to come in the future.

Warthur View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2017 at 05:15
FWIW, despite a terror attack happening in London over the weekend, the tribute concert for those killed in Manchester still went ahead.

It's scary stuff, but it's like school shootings in the US - they make a lot of media noise, but the chances of you personally getting caught up in it are remote. Nobody reports the thousands of US schools that didn't have a shooting today, nobody reports the millions of people in Europe who weren't involved in a terrorist attack today - same principle. It was much the same when the IRA were still actively bombing places.

(Incidentally, don't listen to Nigel Farage when he claims that a terrorist bombing in Manchester would have been unthinkable 20 years ago. Not only was it decidedly thinkable, but it actually happened - it was one of the last major IRA bombings before the peace deal.)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234