Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Report abuse here
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

worst abuse on PA ever

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920 28>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2017 at 08:34
Okay.  Merci, HuguesThumbs Up
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2017 at 09:10
Originally posted by Kepler62 Kepler62 wrote:

I know quite a  few people who have been listening to progressive rock like myself since the seventies and many consider the site to be nothing but a a joke. I only come here once and a while with the false hope of some improvement. Too bad that the guy who started the vintage prog site doesn't maintain it any more. Fortunately he has left it up for posterity for those who want to explore the glory years.

Ridicule personnage.
scruffydragon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scruffydragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2017 at 12:31
I quite like this site,but I just struggle to write anything and when I do it takes ages on it's own. This captcha that's in place really does not help with posting at all. Even copy my reply to a thread to paste later does not help sometimes,and I usually have to log back in and try again. That's usually another half hour to try to write what I wanted to originally if I could remember what I had tried to write 10 minutes beforehand. Then tonight after answering the questions and ticking the squares I found I had already been logged out and did not have permission to reply. I can understand trying to stop spam but I am finding it hard enough trying to write reply's to threads as it is, which is why I very rarely reply to anything at all. The Captcha has make it extremely difficult.
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2017 at 16:00
I used the site as a reference resource long before I even realised there was a forum! (not being very bright..) and it was a revelation; it really helped me expand beyond what I already knew, helped me move a bit further outside my comfort zone musically and subsequently, spend quite a lot of cash on wierd lps and cds. And i'm genuinely very grateful and respecting of the time and love that's gone in to the reviews etc. I started looking at the forum in 2010 and have only occasionally made comments or observations (mostly because there are obviously a lot of knowledgeable and intelligent -along with Dry, witty and down right sarcastic- people contributing and I don't have much to say and would rather listen (or read in this case). It does seem a real shame that quite a lot of people are choosing not to post anymore and I can understand (captcha being a pain in the B.O.T.T.Y) but for very selfish reasons I feel that the narrowing of contribution is making the site considerably less informative and fun. My view only..

Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2017 at 16:04
Are any members skilled in informatics whom can describe the technical terms why this issue acours, what it stems from and its function?
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2017 at 17:08
^ I know nothing about technical details, but I know from talking to Max, the site owner, that the site has been 'attacked' several times recently, apparently there are people who want to damage the site, for reasons I do not know.
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vompatti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2017 at 01:21
^ What's suspicious about that explanation though is that if they're DDoS attacks (as one would think because the Cloudflare DDoS protection was also enabled for a while), CAPTCHAS do literally nothing against them. The purpose of the CAPTCHA is to prevent bots (and apparently on this site, humans too) from posting on the forum, and that's all that it does.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2017 at 12:46
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Now even the artist/album pages are a joke, for this user.  When I wanted to read reviews about an album, there is a video ad in the middle page that literally pulls your view to it.  So if you have scrolled down to read some review, and you're reading it, suddenly it jerks you away from the review back up the page to where the ad is running.  So, it is forcing you to view that ad, no many how many times you've seen it, or how many times you've pulled away from it.

That has nothing to do with "security."  That is just plain being an a****le, as a site.  It will drive away even people who do not use our forum. 

this has now started to effect me as well...and good god is it horrible. This makes the captchas seem benevolent by comparison.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2017 at 12:55
Too many problems.... I am forced to use adblock on this site, although I want to financially support it by viewing ads. I don't mind ads as long as they're not really intrusive and distracting. That is a horrible ad.

I used Patreon at one site which runs ad free to support, but then as a "patron" I got exclusive content and I doubt that would work here.   I do think some people would pay for exclusive M@x content.

Just a fanboy passin' through.
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2017 at 14:13
That's strange, nothing of that kind, here...??
I'm only using (as I do for ages) Noscript plug-in over Firefox, in case anyone wants to try.
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2017 at 15:02
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Too many problems.... I am forced to use adblock on this site, although I want to financially support it by viewing ads. I don't mind ads as long as they're not really intrusive and distracting. That is a horrible ad.

This is symptomatic of the wide wild world of web as a whole. How this sort of tactic would lead someone to believe their product is made more appealing is beyond me. 
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2017 at 15:05
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

Now even the artist/album pages are a joke, for this user.  When I wanted to read reviews about an album, there is a video ad in the middle page that literally pulls your view to it.  So if you have scrolled down to read some review, and you're reading it, suddenly it jerks you away from the review back up the page to where the ad is running.  So, it is forcing you to view that ad, no many how many times you've seen it, or how many times you've pulled away from it.

That has nothing to do with "security."  That is just plain being an a****le, as a site.  It will drive away even people who do not use our forum. 

this has now started to effect me as well...and good god is it horrible. This makes the captchas seem benevolent by comparison.

Incredible, isn't it?  Whoever invented this kind of tactic deserves a good ole fashioned beating. 
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2017 at 05:40
30 minutes to make a post...and then it won't even go through aaaaaand I am using my phone?
Final straw.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2017 at 06:45
^It's weird, yesterday I went through many posts with no captcha....I thought, YES, he's shut it off.  Then just about the moment I stop copying my posts prior to hitting send....boom....  "Please select the center of the vehicle"   "Pick all squares with street signs"  LOL

I'm starting to think some very smart person banned from the site long ago has taken control of it, and is torturing us as retribution.  Wink
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2017 at 06:48

^It's weird, yesterday I went through many posts with no captcha....I thought, YES, he's shut it off.  Then just about the moment I stop copying my posts prior to hitting send....boom....  "Please select the center of the vehicle"   "Pick all squares with street signs"  LOL

I'm starting to think some very smart person banned from the site long ago has taken control of it, and is torturing us as retribution.  Wink

Yup, I guess less & less of it in the last week or so
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2017 at 07:14
I've had very few problems since i upgraded my Mac's operating system to OS Sierra. However that triggered a failure of external hard drives but at least i can post here with no problems!!!!!

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2017 at 18:59
Wow.  It's just taken me hours to send a PM and get through the captcha-click all the boxes with a car thing without a permission error!  Crazy.  After 5 failures, I shut down Chrome...did a bunch of other stuff and restarted a couple of hours later...still no good...gave it another hour and retried and it finally got through.  

All this after going a couple months with no problems Confused

Edited by The.Crimson.King - August 03 2017 at 19:06
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2017 at 02:22
Yup, after being in the "it's not that bad" camp for awhile I've had a run of them. Even from my phone which was previously fairly exempt. 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2017 at 02:31
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

Yup, after being in the "it's not that bad" camp for awhile I've had a run of them. Even from my phone which was previously fairly exempt. 

Test &1/2, test 1-2 TongueWink
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2017 at 02:32
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

Test &1/2, test 1-2 TongueWink

only one fail before getting it right (from work)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920 28>