Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Report abuse here
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

worst abuse on PA ever

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1920212223 28>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2017 at 08:54
I guess you're right Jose and I had even promised myself not to bitch anymore and just access PA via my phone. Now that that has flown out the window I resort to slinging sh*t. It just irritates the hell out of me that the site I love and have contributed to for so many years has deteriorated into this. I really miss a lot of our longstanding hardworking members who were far saner than myself in that they left earlier in the year. I on the other hand - like the dumb and naive schmo I obviously am - wait for things to turn around or at the very least get some sort of answer out of our owner yet nothing nada zip zeroooooo.
I understand you fully though as you are in the early phase of your PA stint and at that time I also looked positively on the absence of Max thinking we'd be fine and that we were well equipped to run the site. I certainly couldn't understand the sour grapes coming from old members. I feel a little differently today.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2017 at 15:40
yesterday while I was doing the tedious job of updating some bios, captcha just got worse and worse as the day went on.  Kafkaesque was the only way to describe it.  At first it just wanted me to confirm that I was a person, then it wanted me to identify cars, buses, signs,whatever, and once I had done that, it had me go thru the exercise a second time.  Since I'm not a super visual person, it's more than just irritating to have to go through this, as it also taxes my brain and stresses me out.  
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2017 at 01:54
Yeah, the bloody frigging thing had let me mainly alone, posting without problems, but the last couple of days it's come back with a vengeance/// I even had a four-stage challenge

But a few months back, the bloody thing had changing pictures when selecting the frames... or making me click three or four times before the check appeared
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2017 at 02:55
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I would love to meet the creator of captcha and vomit directly down his throat.

I'd use my other end to empty my bowels & stomach into his mouth LOL

OK, it takes two PA collabs to take two creators. The conceptual inventor, Alan Turing, passed away in 1954, but I have the names of the culprits for you.
Both German-sounding names of people who live west of the Atlantic:

Manuel Blum (Caracas, 26 April 1938), Venezolan computer scientist, here on the left on a 1973 picture.

Luis von Ahn (Guatemala City, 19 August 1978), Guatemalan entrepeneur and professor in computer science, now living in the United States. Author of reCAPTCHA.

Make their day Evil Smile!

Edited by someone_else - December 11 2017 at 06:39
Rivertree View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Band Submissions

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rivertree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2017 at 03:38
it's ridiculous, sure. I am trying to find my own way to take it, I will become accustomed to this or eventually give up ... we will see ...
login/logout very often, posting plain text as well as in any way possible, avoid links, pictures, quotes, emoticons ...

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2017 at 03:49
The best way to avoid captcha trouble is not to forget Ctrl-A/Ctrl-C before posting and Ctrl-V after access has been denied (which occurs most often after the first captcha after login). This works quite well even with hyperlinks and images included.

I think it's better to avoid diacritics, hyperlinks and images in the initial posting of a poll. These may be added in later edits.

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2017 at 04:09
Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

The best way to avoid captcha trouble is not to forget Ctrl-A/Ctrl-C before posting and Ctrl-V after access has been denied...
Easy for you to say. Not so easy at my age, I'm afraid. The other day I started drinking my bottled water before remembering to take the cap off. LOL

Any how, good advice but this damn thing is still a pain in the arse.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2017 at 05:59
I usually just try to remember to copy what I have typed after every third or fourth post or so. After the captcha comes up I wait a few. So far, this has worked pretty well for me as long as I can remember to do it. :)
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2017 at 09:03

The best way to avoid captcha trouble is not to forget Ctrl-A/Ctrl-C before posting and Ctrl-V after access has been denied (which occurs most often after the first captcha after login). This works quite well even with hyperlinks and images included.

That's what I do for every single post.  The only time I've run into a major disaster was a permission denied error on a 25 option poll...that was absolutely no fun LOL
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2017 at 09:07

I think it's better to avoid diacritics, hyperlinks and images in the initial posting of a poll. These may be added in later edits.

I do that as habit now but I had 13 attempts at copying and posting something once and every single one failed. As you say the best way to avoid it seems to be with plain text with no images or hyperlinks.
Rivertree View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Band Submissions

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rivertree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2017 at 12:15
Hell, that is progarchives 2.0

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2017 at 14:35
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

That's what I do for every single post.  The only time I've run into a major disaster was a permission denied error on a 25 option poll...that was absolutely no fun LOL

I am working on a poll with many options these days. Since I loath misspellings, I cannot avoid a diacritic now and then. But I'll change the spelling in the rebound edit, so that there won't be much loss after an Access Denied.

Ctrl-A, Ctrl-C
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2018 at 16:56
This won't let me post unless I have my adblocker turned off, and am allowing cookies. So then when I'm done I have to remember to go back and turn all that back on. It's almost not even worth it anymore imo. 
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2018 at 17:10
Forums commonly require cookies to log-in and post. As for adblocker, what do you use? I have often used one and have no problems (I am right now), but for some sites that don't work with adblock, I whitelist it so I don't have to turn it on and off. Depending on your browser, there can be the ability to add a site in your privacy settings that will always allow cookies even if your cookies are turned off. What I do on my devices is use different browsers for different things. In Firefox, for instance, I keep cookies disabled, but in Chrome I do not. I'm not terribly concerned about privacy, though, as I try not to get up to much bad stuff online or offline. ;) On my PC laptop, I use NoScrpt and uBlock for Firefox, my wife complains because of lack of access, but I tell her you can allow scripts as they come up that you need, and then never need worry about it on those sites.

Incidentally, ads pay for the site, and bandwidth costs money, so I often don't use adblock here for that reason. It can be quite unethical not to allow ads and many sites request it so that it can keep running, and some guilt you into not doing it so you don't feel like a leech.

Edited by Logan - January 03 2018 at 17:15
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2018 at 17:27
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Forums commonly require cookies to log-in and post. As for adblocker, what do you use? I have often used one and have no problems (I am right now), but for some sites that don't work with adblock, I whitelist it so I don't have to turn it on and off. Depending on your browser, there can be the ability to add a site in your privacy settings that will always allow cookies even if your cookies are turned off. What I do on my devices is use different browsers for different things. In Firefox, for instance, I keep cookies disabled, but in Chrome I do not. I'm not terribly concerned about privacy, though, as I try not to get up to much bad stuff online or offline. ;) On my PC laptop, I use NoScrpt and uBlock for Firefox, my wife complains because of lack of access, but I tell her you can allow scripts as they come up that you need, and then never need worry about it on those sites.

Incidentally, ads pay for the site, and bandwidth costs money, so I often don't use adblock here for that reason. It can be quite unethical not to allow ads and many sites request it so that it can keep running, and some guilt you into not doing it so you don't feel like a leech.

Thank you for your input. I use Adblock Plus and this site definitely seems to hate that. And I use invisible no tracking mode. noot sure if that part negatively affects it or not(I'm guessing it does). 

I like this site and the people on it a lot(on other forums the folks are far more brutal in my experience). It's just I had an incident last week where I was trying to post something FOREVER and it just would not let me. Was getting the red, access denied, message literally every single time! Anyway I'll try your suggestions and see if it helps. Thanks again friend. 

Edit: Oh and I can't post from my phone at all. Have tried several times and it won't let me(get the red message every time). 

Edited by YESESIS - January 03 2018 at 17:34
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2018 at 17:58
Third party cookies. I read that you should always set your browser to not allow third party cookies. And I have mine set that way, except when I come on here.

I don't know, if it gets too much I'll just leave. But hopefully your suggestions will do the trick(fingers crossed). 
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2018 at 18:19
I don't know enough about your setup, devices or service providers (not that having such info would necessarily help me much to find the problems). I never allow third party cookies, so that hasn't been a problem for me. I have used ABP here and that has not been a problem. I use Chrome, Firefox and Safari to visit this site. My iPads, laptop PC, android phone and MacBook have all worked without such incident. And I've visited in Incognito mode without issue. You may have security software that is causing problems and it may have to do with your service providers. Best of luck, don't know about your phone, but with some fine tuning and alternate strategies on your 'puter, posting here from that perspective shouldn't be too much of a hassle, I would think. On my phone I have multiple browsers too, and some browsers work better with some sites.

This is not your issue, but I know what a hassle these things can be. At some old forum I belonged to I had to use an onion router (Tor) just to access the site as my path was blocked en route otherwise (it was either that or change my ISP or stop using that site, but I liked the site enough to want to persevere and I learnt quite a lot about how the internet works in the meantime).

Edited by Logan - January 03 2018 at 18:22
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2018 at 20:00
Originally posted by YESESIS YESESIS wrote:

This won't let me post unless I have my adblocker turned off, and am allowing cookies. So then when I'm done I have to remember to go back and turn all that back on. It's almost not even worth it anymore imo. 

Sorry to hear that, I enjoy the enthusiasm of your posts Wink

As for me, I run Firefox with adblocker on though I do allow cookies.  I rarely get the dreaded "permission denied" or even the silly "choose all pictures with a giraffe in them" nonsense...I think the whole thing is completely random and there's no ideal setup to prevent it LOL

Edited by The.Crimson.King - January 03 2018 at 20:02
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2018 at 08:16
I've probably asked this before....but has anyone actually talked/e-mailed to the admin that did this....why does he continue to have captcha here knowing none of the members like it?

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2018 at 08:32
Originally posted by YESESIS YESESIS wrote:

on other forums the folks are far more brutal in my experience.

You clearly haven't met Guldbamsen yet.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1920212223 28>