Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Report abuse here
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

worst abuse on PA ever

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2223242526 28>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2018 at 18:30
I've given up trying to post from my phone, simply won't let me. The only thing it won't hassle me on is my big laptop.
Junges View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Junges Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2018 at 02:05
I have been using the website and the forum for years and I have noticed that fewer and fewer people post. I don't understand why is this captcha "I am not a robot" necessary at all. NO other forum uses it. And in all other forums, if you accidently click on something or click "back" while you are posting, you don't lose your post. You can go back to it and everything you have written remains there.

This is not a complaint and it is none of my business. But people are getting tired of this and you are losing them. Instead of adding things and making the forum more complicated, wouldn't it be better to improve it and make it simplier? If most forums don't need this captcha thing, why do we need it? I also think we could change the layout.. it has been the same for 10 years or more. If you don't start thinking ways of improving the site, it is going to die. People are going to stop using it and go somewhere else where things get done. This captcha thing clearly bothers everyone here.

I barely see any new posts in most forums. Usually only the prog pool section and the topics "what are you listening right now?" have any activity. The other forums are slowly dying. Well.. it is a pity. This site has been the best for prog for a long time. I only hope people realize that it is dying and make some changes.
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2018 at 02:14
^ It's in Max's hands and he hasn't done anything about it for more than a year. Maybe he's just waiting for the site to die.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2018 at 03:34
Originally posted by Junges Junges wrote:

I have been using the website and the forum for years and I have noticed that fewer and fewer people post. I don't understand why is this captcha "I am not a robot" necessary at all. NO other forum uses it. And in all other forums, if you accidently click on something or click "back" while you are posting, you don't lose your post. You can go back to it and everything you have written remains there.

This is not a complaint and it is none of my business. But people are getting tired of this and you are losing them. Instead of adding things and making the forum more complicated, wouldn't it be better to improve it and make it simplier? If most forums don't need this captcha thing, why do we need it? I also think we could change the layout.. it has been the same for 10 years or more. If you don't start thinking ways of improving the site, it is going to die. People are going to stop using it and go somewhere else where things get done. This captcha thing clearly bothers everyone here.

I barely see any new posts in most forums. Usually only the prog pool section and the topics "what are you listening right now?" have any activity. The other forums are slowly dying. Well.. it is a pity. This site has been the best for prog for a long time. I only hope people realize that it is dying and make some changes.
Can't really argue with this, most of the posts are in polls and the fun section now. I've never seen any kinds of response from M@x on the captcha issue so I can only assume he's lost interest in the site which is a shame.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2018 at 04:09
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Originally posted by Junges Junges wrote:

Can't really argue with this, most of the posts are in polls and the fun section now. I've never seen any kinds of response from M@x on the captcha issue so I can only assume he's lost interest in the site which is a shame.

This site has a long history of remedies that are worse than the evils, but I doubt if any of these have turned off as many posting forum members as the CAPTCHA's did. However, there may be more reasons. Speaking for myself, I find that I have less things to say some 10 years after I signed up (in PA terms: ageing, but not old guard). I have found my way to deal with the CAPTCHA's. M@X has never answered for the implementation of the CAPTCHA issue since he implemented it some 14 months ago, so I guess he hides in a one-way traffic command center somewhere four hundred feet or more below the vastness of Québec, bereft of daylight Wink.

Edited by someone_else - May 24 2018 at 04:24
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2018 at 10:54
Without a shadow of a doubt, the site is becoming sadly moribund. Whilst Crapcha has clearly not helped, I am not convinced that it is the only Issue

The site owner does not appear to have the same level of enthusiasm of yore, which is a shame.

Many of the older characters who made the site such fun have also gone, for, I presume, a variety of reasons.

However, looking at Prog Ears, which I occasionally post on, this is also a lot less busy than it used to be, although nowhere near the dearth of posts we see on PA.

Perhaps we have all said all that can be said, particularly when it comes to the classic and neo period bands.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2018 at 14:07
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Without a shadow of a doubt, the site is becoming sadly moribund. Whilst Crapcha has clearly not helped, I am not convinced that it is the only Issue

The site owner does not appear to have the same level of enthusiasm of yore, which is a shame.

Many of the older characters who made the site such fun have also gone, for, I presume, a variety of reasons.

However, looking at Prog Ears, which I occasionally post on, this is also a lot less busy than it used to be, although nowhere near the dearth of posts we see on PA.

Perhaps we have all said all that can be said, particularly when it comes to the classic and neo period bands.

Quick data comparison

PA
60,000 members
147 people on-line
12 members on-line

PE
4,500 members
1,100 people on-line
153 members on-line

So yes while PA has many more members there is barely a handful posting compared to PE. I have to think this is directly related to Captcha.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2018 at 17:49
Prog Ears is a bummer.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2018 at 18:10
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

...PE
4,500 members
1,100 people on-line
153 members on-line...

ALL ROBOTS!
Every last one of 'em.

Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2018 at 18:39
^ I wouldn't doubt it at all--  they go from a few crickets online at any given moment to 153 members online at once?

Utter bull.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2018 at 19:03
Your jealousy is showing ladies, personally I love the place. They are currently at 137 while we are at 8.

Edited by Nogbad_The_Bad - May 24 2018 at 19:04
Ian

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2018 at 04:09
PA has improved in both the quality and variety of prog reviews with only RIO/Avant/Zappa seeming to lose it's supporters. PA forum topics have run their course, I'm afraid, as no one here, unlike PE, really cares to discuss the merits of bands like the Monkees.

Edited by SteveG - May 25 2018 at 04:10
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2018 at 04:19
I prefer the PA layout, honestly.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2018 at 06:02
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Prog Ears is a bummer.
I don't find it that way myself. There aren't that many active posters on topics that interest me, but a high percentage of them are knowledgeable / insightful, so there are some worthwhile discussions and I've got turned on to a lot of good stuff.
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2018 at 07:17
^ I don't find the PE topics interesting but they have some real knowledgeable posters there like Scrotum Scissor and the former PA flag waver/anti-captcha crusader Sean Train. 

Edited by SteveG - May 25 2018 at 07:31
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2018 at 07:32
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Scrotum Scissor

Confused
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2018 at 07:33

^ My no. 1 resource for opera.

Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2018 at 08:17
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Prog Ears is a bummer.
I don't find it that way myself. There aren't that many active posters on topics that interest me, but a high percentage of them are knowledgeable / insightful, so there are some worthwhile discussions and I've got turned on to a lot of good stuff.

ClapThumbs Up
Ian

Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2018 at 14:09
I find the level of discourse is higher here rather than at PE. Maybe it's just because there are less people here these days, but I like that we can discuss 'controversial' subjects here without having people get their panties in a wad (at least 98% of the time). 

There are some wonderfully knowledgeable people at PE though...it's just sometimes there is too much chafe for me to care to find the wheat. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CPicard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2018 at 11:28
I just tried to reply to someone in a thread, using the "quote" option: each time, I saw a nice red message saying: "Acces denied"...

Isn't there a way to take PA off the hands of M@X? Must we migrate en masse to ProgEars? Or trying to buy a new PA brick by brick?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2223242526 28>