Topic ClosedSupper's Ready Illustrated

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Supper's Ready Illustrated
    Posted: May 21 2017 at 02:20
I came across this interesting video:

the artist has some interesting ideas. what's your opinion?

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2017 at 04:22
It's a very thought provoking take on a piece of music I've always loved. Some of the imagery presented does support my long held view that the couple at the start might be Adam and Eve, the latter is tempted by Satan (the serpent and the apple) in the garden (of Eden) : the fall via original sin and the eventual salvation of the sinner through the bestowing of Grace from God. I think the medieval crusades are clearly referenced and critiques the wanton slaughter perpetuated in the name of 'religions of love' or the imposition of western values on 3rd world countries (Vietnam?). Or it just might be a sidelong swipe at self serving belief systems. I've never understood the narcissus episode (a flower?) but in my review of the Foxtrot album I posited that one of the themes was how we face up to our own impending mortality i.e. there is the consolation afforded by faith in transcendental agents or the pragmatism that all said and done, we are but supper for the worms who crawl hungrily beneath our feet. As you would expect Hell, or the final battle between good and evil occurs near the end (apocalypse)
and when the opening music is reprised at the denouement of the piece, I think Gabriel wishes to imply a complete life-cycle being returned to source. This might denote reincarnation or his belief in the eternal immutability of the human soul. Failing that, the whole band were just chipped off their tits ya dig?

Thanks for posting this, I really enjoyed it.

Edited by ExittheLemming - May 21 2017 at 04:26
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2017 at 07:42
I love it. Thank you for posting it.
Kepler62 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2017 at 08:15
Would have been cool if they had this as a backdrop on the 1972-73 tour. Great minimalist artwork. In high school we had to interpret songs from rock albums for English class back in the mid seventies and some kid actually did this track. If I remember correctly I think I did Black Sabbath's Electric Funeral.

I like what Ozzy once said about progressive rock back in the seventies in one interview, " why the f**k would you want to perplex your audience?" I'm not too much into lyrics but if that's your thing... I liked a lot of  progressive rock back in the seventies because it was perplexing. These newer Prog bands are just trying too hard both musically and lyrically. Pieces like Supper's Ready and other art/prog rock came from musicians who had been formally educated and this was naturally reflected in the music they produced. I dunno, just my take. I'm just a relic from the seventies. 

Edited by Kepler62 - May 21 2017 at 08:16
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2017 at 08:39
To me the Flower and Churchill, Willow Farm and all that, is an illustration of the complexity, misunderstandings, and misperceptions (Who me? A Flower? asks the Flower) show how through all the madness we will be architects of our own destruction. The Mum and Dad refers to the psychology children shaped by family which is ultimately marginalized by the product of our bizarre environment. This leads to Armageddon and evil. It's got it's moral and happy ending (love will win).

Which it won't otherwise there would not be so much unhappiness in our world.
maryes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2017 at 09:31
very nice, thans a lot !
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2017 at 20:43
saw this a few months ago and enjoyed it---the artist has similar musical taste and has done other videos--it's a too literal interpretation but still think it;s great
tboyd1802 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2017 at 13:49
I quite like it...
He neither drank, smoked, nor rode a bicycle. Living frugally, saving his money, he died early, surrounded by greedy relatives. It was a great lesson to me -- John Barrymore
mlkpad14 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2017 at 06:26
Just wanted to let you guys know that this guy is illustrating the whole of The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway, song by song. Check it out!
https://gamecrazyprofessional.weebly.com/
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2017 at 12:17
Very enjoyable - thanks for sharing it. As good an attempt as I've seen or read to put some narrative structure to what is essentially a stream of consciousness dream story. Obviously very, very literal in its execution, but the religious theme - incorporating false prophets, religious wars, apocalypse and finally redemption and the power of love - were well expressed by the artist. Without a definitive explanation by Peter Gabriel, I think it stands up well. Still interpretative room for other views from literary students to keep us all guessing for many a year. Only 'Willow Farm' and it's Edward Lear/Lewis Carroll nonsense verses struggles for a clear narrative meaning, in my view.

I really liked the links to other Genesis songs in the video - such as 'Get Them Out by Friday', 'A Trick of a Tail', 'Mad Man Moon', 'Squonk', 'The Musical Box', 'Firth of Fifth' etc. He's clearly a real fan and no doubt I'll be watching again to spot all the references.

Still THE prog epic of all time! Thanks again. I'll check out his other work (such as 'The Lamb').......

Edited by Squonk19 - December 13 2017 at 11:54
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2017 at 10:07
A great idea!
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2017 at 15:01
Wouldn't a graphic novel for The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway be great? It would assuredly spawn a much-needed movie project.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2017 at 10:45
A really cool video and a true act of love by the artist that drew it. Fantastic! Clap
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2017 at 13:25
I simply love it , thanks Jean for posting and thank you so much Nathan, if you ever read this !

(Somehow resonated with my feelings for the music - now, I should be a little ashamed of saying this - and I got my eyes wet near the end - stupid old fart)
 Post Reply Post Reply