Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - RIP: All who were killed at the Manchester Arena.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRIP: All who were killed at the Manchester Arena.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2017 at 07:38
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

"PrayForManchester"....

Too much praying is one of the roots of these problems... 

I get the gist of what you're saying i.e. belief systems where too much value is placed upon a delusional 'afterlife' undermines the sanctity of human life, but militant activism is the antithesis of faith
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2017 at 07:43
^Because faith should be an intensely personal experience? 
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2017 at 07:55

Not sure what you mean. Prayer for me denotes a belief in transcendental agents that the believer petitions to change an unpalatable reality that transgresses holy scripture . Strapping explosives to your person and detonating same in a crowded arena in the heart of the perceived 'infidel' is the polar opposite of 'faith'
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2017 at 08:04

"PrayForManchester"....

As an agnostic, I take this in the spirit in which it was offered, with good intentions, and leave it at that.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2017 at 08:20
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Not sure what you mean. Prayer for me denotes a belief in transcendental agents that the believer petitions to change an unpalatable reality that transgresses holy scripture . Strapping explosives to your person and detonating same in a crowded arena in the heart of the perceived 'infidel' is the polar opposite of 'faith'

Praying also denotes a communal or personal activity where people who believe in said transcendental agents offer their lives in exchange (though they wouldn't agree it's so transactional) for untold bliss that can take many forms depending on the creed. The belief is always, 100% of the time irrational. 

The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2017 at 08:21
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

"PrayForManchester"....

As an agnostic, I take this in the spirit in which it was offered, with good intentions, and leave it at that.
I understand. Most people who utter those words mean well. 

Still, it's so useless. And they actually think it's useful. 
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2017 at 09:25

"PrayForManchester"....

I don't understand this comment.......For many, many people in the world, in history, some type of prayer is at times the only self comfort a person can achieve...and give.
As a person who believes, I from across the pond feel the only thing I can do to "help" is pray for those families who lost their young children, hope that one day they are able to smile again. As a parent this is beyond anything I could imagine happening to me.

Don't get me wrong either, I also pray that these worthless pcs of sh*t who commit these crimes spend the rest of eternity in hell suffering acts of punishment that we cannot imagine.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2017 at 10:00
There were many times in life, Jose, when I wish I had faith to help me through things. I sometimes envy people that do.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2017 at 10:52
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

"PrayForManchester"....

I don't understand this comment.......For many, many people in the world, in history, some type of prayer is at times the only self comfort a person can achieve...and give.
As a person who believes, I from across the pond feel the only thing I can do to "help" is pray for those families who lost their young children, hope that one day they are able to smile again. As a parent this is beyond anything I could imagine happening to me.

Don't get me wrong either, I also pray that these worthless pcs of sh*t who commit these crimes spend the rest of eternity in hell suffering acts of punishment that we cannot imagine.
Correct. It's self-comfort. It doesn't make any problem go away or any person actually feel better but the one doing the praying. Unless of course the receiver shares the same faith, but that can't be assumed. 

The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2017 at 10:53

There were many times in life, Jose, when I wish I had faith to help me through things. I sometimes envy people that do.
At some point in my life I had some faith. I feel so liberated now. 
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2017 at 11:11

"PrayForManchester"....

Correct. It's self-comfort. It doesn't make any problem go away or any person actually feel better but the one doing the praying. Unless of course the receiver shares the same faith, but that can't be assumed. 

You don't know that the affected parents/grandparents, don't feel some comfort and some level of feeling better by knowing that people thousands of miles away are praying for them, and if you prefer...are thinking strongly of these families.
Of course it does not make the problem go away, the problem has already happened, so what can anybody do but pray/think about these families and hope one day they will smile again.

If we don't stand together with these families, pray together or think strongly good thoughts to each other....The other options is we don't stand together, which means they win!!

I will pray for them......Cry
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2017 at 11:12

Just send them good thoughts......It's the same thing.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2017 at 13:16

Just send them good thoughts......It's the same thing.

Absolutely
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2017 at 23:29
.......and people are demanding their money back from the cancelled concerts. Imagine how distraught Arianna G is from this event ? Refunds should be the last thing on people's minds right now.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2017 at 10:37
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

.......and people are demanding their money back from the cancelled concerts. Imagine how distraught Arianna G is from this event ? Refunds should be the last thing on people's minds right now.

I am sure the tickets will be refunded even without people asking, considering the reason why. If it were me I would offer that money, since I already spent it, to a fund to help those poor families. Ticket brokers/agents should do something like that, at least offer that to those still holding tickets.
Funerals are not cheap, especially when you are not expecting it.......
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2017 at 23:17
^ That's EXACTLY what a bunch of us at work were suggesting during lunch-break. Such a great idea.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2017 at 02:27
I must say I'm growing weary of all the vapid platitudes of politicians over attacks like this. They actually reserve no right to grieve and they certainly reserve no right to talk tough, declaring "enough is enough" as we have heard from Theresa May over the weekend, and in response to yet another attack on Saturday night in London.

If this awful woman is serious about tackling extremism a good starting point would be to stop selling weapons to Saudi and Qatar; two of the world largest hotbeds of Wahabist terrorism, and oddly enough, two of the west greatest buddies in a seriously screwed up part of the world.

Just so folk know, prayer, nice thoughts, ribbons, wristbands and dialogue are actually not going to make this problem go away. Neither is a street war against Islam. There has to be a pragmatic cutting off of the snakes head.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2017 at 05:20
In every case the justification of violence is a small set of books. Books created by the behest of a 6th century war-lord are not going to be basis for a peaceful 21st century are they? Open up the qu'ran at virtually any page and you will find verses extorting his followers to kill those who do not 'Believe'. Clearly the Qu'ran is no more use in being a guide to live by than the bible or Mein Kampf. When the religious knobs realise that their feeble faith-based world-views belong back in the dark ages - perhaps then mankind can get on with enjoying life together!
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2017 at 09:15
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

When the religious knobs realise that their feeble faith-based world-views belong back in the dark ages - perhaps then mankind can get on with enjoying life together!
You are asking one of the most impossible things ever asked for. It will never happen. Maybe in 300 years there will only be 1 billion religious people in the world but probably the entire planet's population will be one billion anyway after global warming kills us 
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2017 at 09:43
When it comes to what one believes, from a religious perspective, good bad or indifferent, there will be no changes, not until the earth is done.
These are books, teachings, ideology that will never go away. And please don't tell me that we need to "teach" the young people differently. Once you try to tell someone what they and their lineage believe is wrong, well that will never work.

You can pray to every God you know to change it......will never happen.

I agree that more drastic measures need to happen. Cutting off all forms of income, freezing all accounts, not selling them any trucks, equipment, gear, food, clothes, guns, ammo. Prosecuting anyone connected with these groups, scare everyone away.

Or simply make it a military mission to go in and continually raid, take out, infiltrate these groups where ever they are.....
But I am sure there will be some group of people or country that will say this is mean, we should not or cannot act this way.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>