Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMy Bloody Valentine - Post/Math

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: My Bloody Valentine - Post/Math
    Posted: May 24 2017 at 09:49
Again, I'm very surprised not to find this on the site and I can't believe this has not been proposed yet but I can't find anything with the search engine. My Bloody Valentine, Irish band that produced the legendary 1991 album Loveless. Lots of guitar experimentation with tremollo, distortion, and feels. I know a bit of what people call shoegaze and I don't think there's anything like this album out there. The heavy sonic soundscapes typical of MBV I think would place it under the Post/Math rock label but Prog-related would also be relevant. Loveless reached a cult status and it definitely has a rightful place on this database even though it sound very pop to me. As I said in a previous suggestion, there are many bands on this database that are much less "progressive" than this one right here. I'm sure this will be dividing, I might even be the only one considering it would be a relevant addition to the site.

"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."
aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2017 at 13:00
Not sure if discussed before.

Experimental yes, but in the core this is alternative rock, shoegaze, ambient pop. No relation to prog in the samples provided. Again, perhaps "progressive" in the general sense and perhaps in their era but this does not strike me as something that belongs here.
mechanicalflattery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2017 at 13:47
MBV is a pretty definite no for post/math rock (personal opinion here, I am not an admin). Prog-related is actually somewhat possible. The group definitely had an influence on just about everybody in rock. Still, if Stereolab can't get in (as it probably shouldn't), not sure about MBV. As I've pointed out previously, admit one group in an otherwise non-prog genre, and you open the door for a thousand more submissions. The shoegaze well runs deep.
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2017 at 16:27
Yeah, not much of a fit, though of course a pretty kickass band. Basically wonderfully constructed guitar pop rock precisely bathed in noise, reverb, and other effects, with neither post, math, or classic prog in sight.

As a rule, shoegaze has nothing to do with prog on its own - shoegaze styles enter into our realm because of fusions into post and prog black metal and the like (and, hell, that new Swilson record, it would seem) that have prog elements whether or not the shoegaze elements or staring down at effects pedals are present.

Do think I'll throw mbv on again soon...
Replayer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2017 at 21:09
I wanted to ask "what does an alternative/punk/emo band have to do with prog?" but then I realized that My Bloody Valentine and My Chemical Romance are two separate bands, which I never realized because they both have their band name in the format "My [non-romantic adjective] [romantic noun]". I found that quite amusing.

That's all I wanted to say. I don't know any songs by either band so I can't venture an opinion.
mechanicalflattery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2017 at 21:39
Originally posted by Replayer Replayer wrote:

I wanted to ask "what does an alternative/punk/emo band have to do with prog?" but then I realized that My Bloody Valentine and My Chemical Romance are two separate bands, which I never realized because they both have their band name in the format "My [non-romantic adjective] [romantic noun]". I found that quite amusing.

That's all I wanted to say. I don't know any songs by either band so I can't venture an opinion.

And let's not forget the metal group My Dying Bride...
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2017 at 00:27
Love Loveless but sorry, this band does not fit this site.

BTW, My Morning Jacket.  Smile
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2017 at 06:22
Just noticed this. Maybe an influence on Post but not Post. If they get into PR then you got to add all the other 'shoegaze' bands.
Magma America Great Make Again
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2017 at 10:26
Huh??
 Post Reply Post Reply