FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedA Washington Post Reporter on his Love of Prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2017 at 08:09
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

^ erm..wouldn't more people have heard it if Jansch had been accredited properly?
Nope. Jansch get more press after being ripped off by Page and still remained obscure.

Edited by SteveG - May 27 2017 at 08:10
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2017 at 08:23
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

^ erm..wouldn't more people have heard it if Jansch had been accredited properly?
Nope. Jansch get more press after being ripped off by Page and still remained obscure.

Right, so you think more press by NOT being credited with the arrangement was generated than that which would have been generated by Jansch actually being credited with the arrangement (which no-one can quantify because he wasn't credited with the arrangement) I'm not trying to be difficult here Steve but no-one is buying that an accredited arranger of a tune covered by maybe the biggest rock band on the planet to date would still remain as obscure thereafter as you claim.Confused

Edited by ExittheLemming - May 27 2017 at 08:30
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2017 at 08:37
Jansch's plight made all the trades at the time like Melody Maker and New Musical Express and was even championed by other artist's like Neil Young. Like it or not, Jansch would have been no more better known than Jake Holmes for composing "Dazed and Confused." I don't recall him becoming a household name. Do you? Confused
This discussion is getting silly. Let's move on.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2017 at 08:46

Jansch's plight made all the trades at the time like Melody Maker and New Musical Express and was even championed by other artist's like Neil Young. Like it or not, Jansch would have been no more better known than Jake Holmes for composing "Dazed and Confused." I don't recall him becoming a household name. Do you? Confused

Agreed, you're full of itLOL

Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2017 at 18:31
those New Yardbirds do seem to be a universal point of contention in rock; without doubt they were shameless thieves, to the point where I actually don't know of one Zeppelin cut that was not in some way an altered version of someone else's music.   In a way, they became the world's greatest cover band.   But they were so shrewd in their pilferage, so careful with arranging and mixing, that the quiet usurping and transforming of other peoples' compositions was often imperceptible (even to musicians).   The Beatles used this covert technique of metamorphosis frequently, taking old American tunes and making them fresh and hip.

The question is:  if you're an exceptional thief who can launder their wares with little notice and give listeners something they like, is that legitimate ?   Keep in mind composers for centuries have been doing this.   Historically, musical composition is more about synthesis than it is creation, and that is modern music's dirty little secret.

Edited by Atavachron - May 28 2017 at 18:32
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Kepler62 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2017 at 18:41
I guess it's too late for Bach, Brahms or Beethoven 's to sue . Never investigated it but a hell of a lot of classical music was hijacked by prog rockers back in the seventies. 
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2017 at 04:10

What you believe you or think is of no consequence to me Iain, as long as you do not practice business law. However, this post is warranted for those as poorly informed as you, but would welcome facts. The egregious act perpetrated against Jansch, and other's that Page ripped off, was not a matter of popularity of their work, although Jansch was semi famous through his stint with Pentangle. It was monetary due to the loss of revenue that would have been collected from copyright royalties form sales of millions of copies of Lep Zeppelin 1, that was  so damaging to Jansch. Any High St. lawyer would have known that. And that's no bull.

Edited by SteveG - May 30 2017 at 09:43
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2017 at 08:22
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

those New Yardbirds do seem to be a universal point of contention in rock; without doubt they were shameless thieves, to the point where I actually don't know of one Zeppelin cut that was not in some way an altered version of someone else's music.   In a way, they became the world's greatest cover band.   But they were so shrewd in their pilferage, so careful with arranging and mixing, that the quiet usurping and transforming of other peoples' compositions was often imperceptible (even to musicians).   The Beatles used this covert technique of metamorphosis frequently, taking old American tunes and making them fresh and hip.

The question is:  if you're an exceptional thief who can launder their wares with little notice and give listeners something they like, is that legitimate ?   Keep in mind composers for centuries have been doing this.   Historically, musical composition is more about synthesis than it is creation, and that is modern music's dirty little secret.

It wouldn't be an exaggeration to suggest that most popular rock music as is, would be unrecognisable without the grand larceny/assimilation (you choose) of black american musical forms by white musicians. This clearly doesn't mitigate cheating a fellow artist out of valuable income or accreditation. Best analogy I can think of here is the diving or 'simulation of fouls' that goes on in modern soccer which some people say is just 'part of the game' and that it requires great skill to 'hoodwink' the ref: A'int that tantamount to to saying that a clever and resourceful burglar doesn't deserve to be caught if they steal your sh*t?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2017 at 08:59

What you believe you or think is of no consequence to me Iain, as long as you do not practice business law. However, this post is warranted for those as poorly informed as you, but would welcome facts. The egregious act perpetrated against Jansch, and other's that Page ripped off, was not a matter of popularity of their work, although Jansch was semi famous through his stint with Pantangle. It was monetary, due to the loss of revenue that would have been collected from copyright royalties form sales of millions of copies of Lep Zeppelin 1 that was damaging to Jansch. Any high St. lawyer would have known that. And that's no bull.

Yes, we all get the recompense from 'popularised by Zep' part m'lud. I think the issue with the Jansch arrangement was that his own original recording (on the Jack Orion album) was not considered to qualify as his own protective copyright (as the basic melody is a traditional one and therefore in the public domain) I also cannot find any evidence that he even sought legal action but you are better informed than I. As an aside, there is also anecdotal evidence that Page was taught the Jansch arrangement by Al Stewart which dovetails somewhat into the 'trad arr' oral tradition where many blues/folk tunes were based on older songs of unknown origin which were in turn based on even older tunes etc . Yep, copyright law is a hornet's nest and I don't know why I'm even bothering to discuss this as I heartily loathe Zep, Pentangle, Al Stewart and Jansch pretty much with equanimity. Confused Neither of us would have made High St lawyers
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2017 at 11:46
I believe that I would have made a damn fine ambulance chaser, but I digress. I can only go by what I've read in Colin Harper's bio on Jansch (a dark and brooding character if ever there was one) titled Dazzling Stranger. According to Harper, Jansch felt that taking on the Zeppelin machine would be a waste of his time and money, so he just decided not to bother. Arrangements are copyrighted, but are also very hard to prove in a court of law.
I appreciate that Jansch/Zep/Pantangle are not your cup of tea, so, your response is sincerely appreciated. 
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2017 at 16:58

It wouldn't be an exaggeration to suggest that most popular rock music as is, would be unrecognisable without the grand larceny/assimilation (you choose) of black american musical forms by white musicians. This clearly doesn't mitigate cheating a fellow artist out of valuable income or accreditation. Best analogy I can think of here is the diving or 'simulation of fouls' that goes on in modern soccer which some people say is just 'part of the game' and that it requires great skill to 'hoodwink' the ref: A'int that tantamount to to saying that a clever and resourceful burglar doesn't deserve to be caught if they steal your sh*t?

Yes they were cheaters.   I would say a closer analogy might be a clever burglar steals your sh*t, examines it inside & out, returns it to you just as mysteriously, and then a month later you see cheap knockoffs of the denim jacket you so artfully decorated over years.   Foul play but just removed enough to make it legit.   Oh and there's the hollow "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery"--  of course anyone who's ever been 'imitated' knows the feelings of resentment and frustration with that kind of flattery.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2017 at 01:29

Yes they were cheaters.   I would say a closer analogy might be a clever burglar steals your sh*t, examines it inside & out, returns it to you just as mysteriously, and then a month later you see cheap knockoffs of the denim jacket you so artfully decorated over years.   Foul play but just removed enough to make it legit.   Oh and there's the hollow "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery"--  of course anyone who's ever been 'imitated' knows the feelings of resentment and frustration with that kind of flattery.

Yep, maybe that is a better analogy. LOL Of course the whole point being made here is that it ain't just Zep who are guilty of plagiarizing those who cannot really protect themselves. Different story in the classical realm however for those feckless souls like the late Keith Emerson who was contacted by both the Bartok and Janacek estates about his nicking huge unaccredited chunks of Allegro Barbaro and Sinfonietta for ELP's debut in 1970.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12