Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGizmo - Canterbury Scene

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gizmo - Canterbury Scene
    Posted: May 31 2017 at 08:44

Gizmo ~ Band History

1975-1982

It was 1975 and prog-rock was all the rage. David Radford, a young singer-songwriter from Canterbury had just secured a recording contract with President Records. The label, run by father and son team Ed* and David Kassner, were impressed by Radford's writing talent after hearing a demo-tape recorded at the original Oakwood Studios in 1974. President wanted a single released as quickly as possible and invited Radford's band Gizmo up to Regent Sound Studio in London's Tin Pan Alley (Denmark Street) to record seven of his songs. The band that recorded that first single and other unreleased tracks comprised:

• David Radford - 12 string guitar and vocals
  • Graeme Quinton-Jones - Keyboards and guitar
  • Mick Curd - Guitar
  • David Jones - Keyboards
  • Martin Judd - Bass guitar
  • David Smith - Drums
  • And so it...
  • http://www.gizmo.uk.com/index.html

Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2017 at 07:30
I don't know about Canterbury as genre yet, but sure, we'll check them out first.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2017 at 12:47
As far as the geography is concerned they are definately considered part of the larger Canterbury Scene but as far as music goes they aren't very much a part of the progressive rock part of it. I'm not hearing enough jazz influences in this one and i just listened to the whole album above and a couple live clips. 

I do however find enough progressive elements to see them being a possible candidate for Crossover. This is just too straight forward in the rock department for the most part to be considered a candidate for inclusion of one of the most revered and beloved subgenres in the progressive rock world.

I personally vote no for inclusion but would ask the Crossover team to check it out and see if it can find a happy home in those archives :)

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
 Post Reply Post Reply