Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTell me about your prog journey

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2017 at 13:03
Hmm....I started when it wasn't called prog but just different music. I suppose The Moody Blues , Traffic, and Procol Harum, Tull... were the first proggy things...then I discovered Crimson's first (early 1970) and kept looking for unusual music in that vein. Yes...Genesis...ELP...etc.
No one called it prog then...it was simply more adventurous music.
Around the late 80's I met a guy who turned me onto many obscure  second and third tier prog bands I had missed over the years. Since that time I have been searching out similar kinds of prog.....but I enjoy the classic early prog the best...from 1969-1979.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2017 at 13:39
I had a comment for this thread but f-u-c-k-ing "Captcha" deleted it. Whatever.

Edited by The Dark Elf - June 05 2017 at 13:40
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2017 at 14:48
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

.....but I enjoy the classic early prog the best...from 1969-1979.
Amen to that, brother.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2017 at 18:16
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

.....but I enjoy the classic early prog the best...from 1969-1979.
Amen to that, brother.

You guys would probably get a lot out of this site then. About 99 percent of what's on there is from that time period. http://www.vintageprog.com/ There's another good one called "strawberry bricks."

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - June 05 2017 at 18:21
bankstatement View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2017 at 20:56
I don't exactly remember how I got into prog, but I do remember I was a big fan of pop Genesis growing up. I was also a fan of Peter Gabriel. Once I discovered Peter Gabriel was in Genesis, I knew I had to check the earlier stuff out. Foxtrot is one of the earliest prog albums I can remember listening to, and at first listen, I thought it sounded really weird. But I thought it was an interesting sound and kept coming back to it, and it won me over. From there I started really getting into Genesis (which was my favorite band for a long time), King Crimson, and Yes, which I still all love today. I think it was the longer epics that won me over when getting into most prog band.

Now I'm more of a King Crimson/avant-prog person, but I still like a lot of the same symphonic prog that I used to as well. Still expanding my horizons too. Smile
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2017 at 05:21
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

^It sounds like you're around the same age as me(teen in the eighties). The eighties were a weird time to discover prog weren't they? :)

Yup Big smile Definitely an odd time to discover prog. The 80s were probably the all time low period for prog. 
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2017 at 05:23
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

^I would imagine there was a little less green smoke in the air of the listening dens of the '80s. Was that the case?

I can't speak for anyone else but I didn't need any "enhancements" in order to enjoy music. I had easy access to just about anything I wanted to get but I chose not to. One of the best life decisions I ever made. 
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2017 at 06:45
I made the transition from heavy metal to prog around 1983.

My actual first prog album was The Wall in about 1982, but I didn't really know what prog rock was. It was just an album that I heard round a friends house and happened to like. I was intrigued by the fact that the whole album told a story, and loved the way the songs flowed into each other.

Then a friend of mine said he thought my tastes were 'too heavy' so he leant me Exit stage..left by Rush, and then Script for a Jesters Tear. Next thing I knew I was listening to Genesis at Knebworth 1978 on the BBC Friday night rock show, and that was that. I went out and bought everything I could by Genesis, Rush, Marillion and Floyd. I graduated onto Yes and various neo-bands and before I knew it, I was a progger and rapidly losing interest in Motorhead, Maiden, Metallica et al...although I do listen to a bit of metal now and then these days.

I guess you could take it back to 1978 when I first heard Jeff Waynes War of the Worlds. It had a similar effect on me, aged 10 or so, that The Wall did when I was about 13.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2017 at 08:18
12 year old me hears "Roundabout" on radio and proceeds to buy Fragile.

Game over.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2017 at 09:08
Although I'd been listening to Stand Up and tyhe Hair Musical OST ever since I was six, it wasn't really until the unavoidable Harmonium's debut (spring 74) in Montreal and later on Crime Of The Century in Sept 74, once we'd moved to Toronto that I really plunged into rock music...
The record shop next to my school had Supertramp's COTC in the indow ... and because of that intriguing artwork, I just had to listen to the music ... Within weeks or a couple of months, I'd bought DSOTM, ITLOG&P, SEBTP, ITCOTCK, LSOHHB and a few more, like you'd guessed it Aqualung and TAAB.

Hard rock would wait afterwards

Originally posted by Kepler62 Kepler62 wrote:

Went on the train from Two Mountains to Sam The Record Man in downtown Montreal. The Sam's in Toronto was even better. I We would take the train to Toronto from Montreal just to go to Sam's to get all kinds of crazy stuff. Glad I kept all my vinyl from the seventies. Last time I counted was close to 2000 Lps.

Mmmhhh!!!... sam was hardly the only record store on the Yonge strip between Dundas & Bloor, including the Vinyl Museum and a Records On Wheels within 25 yards. 

I would take the Go Train from Clarkson until Union Station and raid all them stores , starting with Record Peddler on Queen St E than walk all the way to Record On Wheels of Bloor than back down.
Vortex Records (used only) was my fave...

Hmm....I started when it wasn't called prog but just different music. I suppose The Moody Blues , Traffic, and Procol Harum, Tull... were the first proggy things...then I discovered Crimson's first (early 1970) and kept looking for unusual music in that vein. Yes...Genesis...ELP...etc.
No one called it prog then...it was simply more adventurous music.

yup, we (Ontario & Quebec) called that music either Art Rock or Symphob-nic Prog or Jazz-rock... I only heard of prog rock in the 90's in Europe

Edited by Sean Trane - June 06 2017 at 09:12
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2017 at 10:20
Originally posted by Jeffro Jeffro wrote:

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

^It sounds like you're around the same age as me(teen in the eighties). The eighties were a weird time to discover prog weren't they? :)

Yup Big smile Definitely an odd time to discover prog. The 80s were probably the all time low period for prog. 

I think it's because of the commercial success of Yes, Genesis and Pink Floyd in particular in that decade that enabled some of us to eventually discover the back catalog of these bands . I don't think most people at the time considered Rush to be part of the genre(even their seventies stuff wasn't usually mentioned in the same breath as the English bands). I got into them then also though mainly through my brother's friend. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - June 06 2017 at 10:22
A_Flower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2017 at 08:17
Well, I was born in the very late 90s, first of all.

When I was very young, I didn't listen to music really. But I liked playing computer games. However, it turned out I enjoyed the music of the computer games more then the game itself. I started downloading it and making mixes for my room. Often, the music was by John Williams and so and such. But you can normally call video game soundtracks progressive.

It wasn't until middle school when my parents got me into more normal music. Of course, this being classic rock. I was obsessed with The Beatles. But most Beatles songs I listened to were the experimental ones like I Am the Walrus, Blue Jay Way, Within You Without You, etc. I even formed a guilty pleasure for Revolution 9!

After The Beatles I got into Led Zeppelin, and then Pink Floyd. My parents weren't so sure about Floyd for me because they were often associated with drugs (which I personally do not associate with prog, I care strictly about musical intent and not drugs). But no matter my parents remarks, I still got into Floyd.

I guess you could say if any song had changed my life, it would have been Echoes. This was basically my first prog epic. I remember it being around the time of my first heartbreak, and I listened to it every night before I would sleep for about two months. I soon realized that I needed to find more music like this.

My cousin helped me get into Yes, and soon, my mom got me into Jethro Tull and my dad got me into Genesis. After I found out that all these bands were within the same genre, I knew what my favorite type of music was. I still listen to prog today, now being more modern prog. Now I am older and almost done with High School. I guess my favorite music has now branched out to classical and I like modern indie rock too. But of course, nothing can replace prog.
User Banned for this Post
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2017 at 12:17
1987:

Pain Dallaire: Do you like Rush?

Barbu: Never heard.

Pain Dallaire: Listen to these, man. (MP/Signals/GUP/HYF)

Barbu: All right, thanks dude.
Dopeydoc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2017 at 13:28
Moody Blues first in 1967 (I was 16 years old), then Pink Floyd in 1968, then Yes, King Crimson...
maryes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2017 at 18:26
I grew up listening  with my  father classical music  (Haydn , Vivaldi, Bach, Mozart, Beethoven, Ketelbey etc...) and of course the pop-rock  music of late 60's (  The Beatles, The Beach Boys,  Simon & Garfunkel )  I like both styles. Suddenly I knew "Joy: The Ventures Play the Classics" and the set list with rock'n roll arrangements from  classical  music. Finally   my older cousin,  show me   Yes, EL&Palmer, Renaissance, Genesis's tunes  and  " my research of this wonderful music style remaining until now !
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2017 at 18:30
I had a phase in which I loved the Beatles aged 9 or so but dropped them somewhat stupidly. Then in 1979 my father played a tape in the car with Watch by Manfred Mann's Earthband and this got me totally hooked. I started buying all their stuff and then very quickly discovered others, Pink Floyd came second (of course they had Another Brick in the Wall II in the charts at the time so I they came to me quite naturally), I read Ingeborg Schober's book on Amon Düül II and my father had some Novalis flying around, so I started to get into Krautrock and then Electronic like Tangerine Dream, my best friend was into Barclay James Harvest, Supertramp, Genesis, Alan Parsons and we exchanged lots of stuff; I got into piles of things in 1980, Jethro Tull, Can, Yes, Oldfield, Grobschnitt, Gong, you name it. Also I became a big Eloy fan.

Most of these early discoveries are still dear to me. I fell out of love with Eloy and became far more critical of some more commercial end 70s/early 80s stuff that I had liked at the time (BJH and APP are pretty much gone, I hate Genesis after Abacap; on the other I still like quite some Supertramp), but I still love many of my very first albums such as Nightingales and Bombers, Animals, Rubycon. I always listened to quite a bit of other stuff; in recent years I listen more to experimental soundscapes, field recordings and the like. I always expected jazz and classical to gain more ground in my taste but they're still pretty marginal though existing. Somehow prog and prog related stuff still make about 50% of what I listen to. 
MIDIManNI View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2017 at 13:22
How did you get into prog?
I was at boarding school (many years ago) and we all spent a lot of time drinking homemade beer, smoking and listening to vinyl...I started off with Pink Floyd and very quickly got into Yes and Genesis.

What bands and albums were your initial favourites?
David Bowie - Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars
Yes - Fragile, Close to the Edge
Genesis - Selling England..., Lamb Lies Down...
ELP - Brain Salad Surgery
Jethro Tull - Aqualung
Camel - Mirage
Frank Zappa - Apostrophe

What sort of music do you listen to now?
Just about everything and anything but mostly Prog or Prog-related...
Canterbury, Avant, Neo, Crossover, Krautrock, Jazz Rock/Fusion, Electronic, Ambient Prog, Symphonic, Psychadelic, Prog Metal...
I do like some other (more) mainstream artists like Donald Fagan, Supertramp, Al Stewart, Brian Augur Trinity, Theory of a Deadman, Flamin Lips...

What sort of music did you listen to in the interim process?
Again - everything and everything....Classical and Jazz through Blues and Folk, Soul and Motown, Rock and Metal...Folk, Punk, New Wave, New Romantic, Electronica...

How do you feel today about the bands and albums that you initially loved?
Still listen to them with the same passion since they formed my musical "soul"...

How do they stack up against your current favourites?
Difficult to compare the bands of my youth with those of today...I reckon that no-one can re-create the sound that is Pink Floyd or Yes but many modern bands do have a similar sound or "feel" to them. I like the Modern stuff every bit as much as the classic oldschool Prog...In fact when I discover a new band it gives me the same thrill as I remember when I first discovered the bands and albums of my youth...Clap
WeepingElf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2017 at 08:15
I grew up in a three-generation household, and an unmarried younger brother of my father had his room next to mine, and he listened to lots of rock music. That was in the 70s, so the classics of rock provided the soundtrack to the adventures of my LEGO starships.

Later, in school, I had a very modern young music teacher who played to us various versions of the Pictures at an Exhibition, including that by ELP. However, back then I was more impressed by Isao Tomita's synthesizer version.

Yet later, my brother introduced me to Pink Floyd, and soon after that, some classmates of mine introduced me to Rush, Marillion and Asia; I also heard of Yes at that time, but did not buy any records of them.

It really kicked off in the early 90s, when three key events happened. One was the discovery of Yessongs in my uncle's record collection - my gateway into the fantastic world of classic-era Yes. The second were some guys handing out handbills of a prog fanzine at a Rush concert, according to which two English neo-prog bands - Jadis and Shadowland - were playing in my town later that year, and I attended that show. The third was the discovery of the rec.music.progressive newsgroup on the Internet.

Since then, I have always heavily been into prog, and in 2011 I founded a prog round table. Now I am even in a prog band (see avatar)!

... brought to you by the Weeping Elf

"What does Elvish rock music sound like?" - "Yes."

Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2017 at 11:55
My brother was a big rock fan.  My mother liked a few groups.  My first two albums were Rick Wakeman's Journey and King Arthur.  Before that one of my cousins had Brain Salad Surgery and Tocatta really apealed to me.  Probably the definitive event was when my mom treated me, my brother, and several of his friends to Kansas in 1978.  From there I was hopelessly addicted.  I now have over 1600 mostly prog CDs.  I also have a nice collection of LPs (I refuse to call them vinyls) and a good collection of DVDs.  PROG ON!!!

Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2017 at 17:21
Didn't like popular music growing up in the mid 80s. I was lucky my dad had a Hammond organ, Rhodes piano and Micro moog in his lounge room though. So I was destined to have high standards for sound and composition. My younger brother played drums in a band and he started listening to the zeps after his band mates showed him. I dug a few of their tracks. Then he brought home some purple and sabbath. I liked them more so bought their albums. Then one of the band members played me some yes and I heard some Floyd so I went out and bought their albums. I rated Yes from 70-72 as my fave band at the time but didn't rate them much after that. My dad played oblivion express and elp so I grabbed their stuff too. Elp were a fave like Yes from 70-72 but not much after. I came across Hendrix, Cream and The Doors and grabbed their stuff. I heard larks, red and debut by crimson but Poseidon was the one that really interested me. By the time I was 21 my brother told me to check out tull. After grabbing aqualung I was loving side 1 but not so much side 2. Then I heard taab so I had to grab all their albums. LITP filled any holes that I found on the early albums. I loved their early and late 70s and wondered what the hell happened in the mid 70s. But those holes were also filled with the great bonus material on the recent remixes. My other brother was into the old movies and got me into Goblin and other soundtrack bands. I found prog ears around 1998 and got into gentle giant, camel, rush etc. Found many other bands since visiting prog ears and archives.

Edited by dr prog - June 12 2017 at 17:23
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>