Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTell me about your prog journey

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2017 at 11:34

Pink Floyd's The Wall was my first prog album purchased several years ago and Beatles, Iron Maiden, Metallica and Queen my first prog-related (classification on this site) favorites. However listening to the 70s Genesis, to great songs such as Seven Stones and Cinema Show, hooked me into prog. I always knew their 70s sound was quite different from their commercial 80s-90s sound, but had never given it a shot before the youtube era. 

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2017 at 07:24
Hi,

There was a journey for me, but it was not about "progressive" or anything. It was much more varied in keeping with my having been in Brazil, and Portugal, and having heard quite different music, than what the US had to offer when I arrived in 1965 .... and promptly heard "Blonde on Blonde" ... and that sarcasm, in the album, really was noticeable and not something that most "singers" even tried. 

I really thought, and still do, that it was the eye opener for many lyrics all over, even though the folk side of music everywhere, had always been very strong, but in this case, it bust into the area that was not known for intelligent music ... pop radio, or in America, the AM radio band (FM was just getting started at the time, and Madison WI is known to have had one of the first such stations).

Before comeing to California, I had already heard Fairport Convention, King Crimson, and many of the English bands, with special attention having been made to The Kinks, The Who, and such, that stood out. "Tommy" was special for me, and many of the songs in it still leave memories and that one of them became the stand out in Woodstock, is not a surprise for me.

When I got to Southern California, I went to the European continent, wondering why there was no music from other countries, when in fact, I knew that they existed. It wasn't long before I found "Ange" through my sister who moved to France, and then a year later, via my roomate, the German scene came alive in my mind along with things like Hawkwind, Man, Family, Roxy Music, and an incredible list of artists that has been with me ever since. Amon Duul 2 and Can, and Faust were right there behind it, as was Kevin Ayers and Roy Harper, both poets that I loved listening to and appreciated and still do!

I, personally, do not like to use the word "progressive" since ALL MUSIC is a progression in one form or another and every scene for the past 500 years that we are aware of it, has improved on the previous style, or compositional elements. Just like a Stravinsky, Bartok, and others brought about a different look at the orchestra, so did jazz and rock music, when it became ELECTRIC, which to me is the only real difference. IF we take out the electricity, I am not convinced that a lot of it will stand out at all, and it reminds me of Andy Summers on a special for "Behind the Music" playing something without the amplification and modifications and it sounded horrible. Then he said listen to this, and turned on the amplification and voila ... a hit! The Edge showed the same thing in another one of those shows.

For me, it never was about a history, since they are ALL a part of the history of music, although many factions these days, will specify that it is all just pop music (just like the M song!!!!!) and not worthy of the discussion. 

I disagree, as this is the human spirit exercising its beauty through music, and as such it deserves the credit. Regardless!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
2dogs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2017 at 08:39
I was going to attempt a proper answer then started thinking about what if, back in 1976 with the first album I bought with my own free will, Tangerine Dream's Ricochet, I had ignored everyone else, not followed the latest music trends, turned around and gone backward to their earlier albums. What if I'd then followed up the subsequent works of the original members, Conrad Schnitzler and Klaus Schulze, Kluster and Cluster, the first two Popol Vuh albums before Florian Fricke joined in on Zeit, the influences and related music that aren't prog either but didn't sneak into PA under the Krautrock tag - Stockhausen, Ligeti, Xenakis, Varese, Pierre Henry, Morton Subotnick (and Limbus 4 who did)? Of course I'd have had no hope back then of finding any of them in the record shops of my town beyond perhaps Phaedra and Rubycon but sitting listening to them all now through headphones on my high quality music player I can conjure up a wonderful dream of shelves of rare and pristine vinyl albums, a cosy reclining chair and a classic hi fi system on which to enjoy them in all their glory without worrying about whether anyone else liked them or not. Maybe I don't actually care so much now about what really happened.
"There is nothing new except what has been forgotten" - Marie Antoinette
Zem View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2017 at 23:58
In middle school an online friend of mine made a video and used "Ride the Comet" by Ayreon from 01011001 as the background song. As someone who had the general opinion at that time that I didn't really care for music, I was really impressed by what they heard. I listened to that album religiously for a while and then expanded into some of the other albums before falling off from it. About 4 years ago, I learned a friend of mine from my local game s hop also liked Ayreon and so we listened through most of the albums on a long road trip together. That re-sparked my interested in Ayreon which led me to branch out into the work of the vocalists involved. This introduced me to Dream Theater, Opeth, etc. That made me realize all these groups were considered 'progressive' which led to me listening to more modern prog groups like Steven Wilson, Haken, and more. Then I slowly started to branch into old school prog with Pink Floyd and from there discovered King Crimson, Genesis, Yes, ELP, Gentle Giant, Hawkwind, Rush, and all my other favorites. I also recently started collecting vinyl earlier this year which has allowed me to find even more obscure groups and I now have over 100 records that are all prog. It's funny to think that if it wasn't for that one Ayreon song, I would've never been exposed to the genre I love.

Flight123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2017 at 03:35
I was 12 or 13 - a combination of my Dad buying me 'Melody Maker' (UK) and then listening to Alan Freeman's Saturday Afternoon Rock Show on BBC Radio 1 (not 'arf) and getting intrigued by all these wonderful sounding bands.  The year?  1973.  I quickly ditched Deep Purple and Free for Floyd and Genesis etc.  The band that really opened my ears in 1975 was Henry Cow.
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2017 at 12:17

Grew up in a musical family (began playing organ at the age of 4) in the 60's with top 40 radio constantly playing and the newest Beatle & Stones albums always on the family turntable.  When Sgt Peppers was released the whole musical world drastically changed and rock musicians realized that the old rules no longer applied (one of several reasons I consider Sgt Peppers the very 1st prog album).  

Then in 1974 I saw a TV commercial for the show "In Concert".  They showed clips of Black Sabbath and Keith Emerson's flying piano from the recent California Jam festival. I wanted to be a fan of a band called Black Sabbath and I definitely thought a flying piano was cool!  I recorded the Black Sabbath episode on a cheap little cassette player, but somehow missed ELP the next week :-(  Spent the next few months getting into Sabbath then found myself in a record store just browsing and I came across Brain Salad Surgery.  The artwork...the album title...oh ya, the flying piano!  I just had to hear these guys!  Played the album literally every day that summer.  About the same time I made friends with this Yes fanatic at the local hobby shop.  He got me into Yes, Genesis & Tull and started bringing me along to prog concerts with his friends - the first being Gentle Giant opening for Yes in '76.  

The biggest prog thing happened in autumn '77 when I went to my local record store and said to the guy behind the counter, "I've seen some really cool album covers from this band called King Crimson.  Do you know anything about them?"  He got this evil smile and said, "hang around for a few minutes...I'll put some on".  He played Fracture from Starless and Bible Black at ear splitting volume.  That was it...game over...King Crimson became my fave prog band.  

Learned how to play bass and played in a few prog bands with the guys filling in the blanks and turning me on to VDGG, Rush, Soft Machine, Shadowfax (before they went new age) etc.

As prog withered and died in the early 80's I got into hardcore punk like the Dead Kennedy's, The Minutemen, Black Flag, Husker Du, DRI, MDC, GBH and a bunch of other 3 letter acronyms :-)  Also stumbled across Zappa's Studio Tan at the local library so began exploring his stuff.  I had no idea there was a Neo Prog renaissance happening at the same time!  Made friends with this guy at work in the early 90's who was into it and turned me on to Marillion, IQ, Twelfth Night, Pallas, Pendragon, Aragon etc.

In the mid 90's discovered this email list called, "The Gibraltar Encyclopedia of Progressive Rock".  Printed out the whole thing and started bringing it with me to record stores and discovered little known gems like Cathedral's 1978 Stained Glass Stories, Split Enz' 1976 Mental Notes, and bands like Asia Minor, Pentwater, Mirthrandir, Devil Doll, Yezda Urfa, Babylon, Celeste, Lift, Spring, Asgard, etc...  Also stumbled on the Swedish prog renaissance with Anekdoten, Anglagard, Landberk, etc...

By the late 90's I'd mined all the prog veins I could think of...except...France!  Decided to not let French lyrics remain a barrier and discovered Ange, Pulsar, Mona Lisa, Atoll, Quadra, Versailles, Elohim, Wapassou, etc. (the first 3 of which have become some of my all time fave bands).  The next big source I found was PA!  Through running reports and studying the database along with recommendations from other members I've discovered a crazy diverse group of prog like Magma, Caravan, Jose Cid, Clearlight, Pentacle, Welcome, Klaus Schulze, Quarteto 1111, Pollen, Nightwinds, SBB, Tantra, Memoriance, Mastadon, Gazpacho, etc...

And the search for new prog continues...

Edited by The.Crimson.King - June 26 2017 at 12:20
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2017 at 14:00
For me I guess it was seeing Yes on the 90125 tour in 1983. I knew Roundabout and a couple of other older Yes songs along with the new songs that were playing on the radio at the time( Owner of a Lonely Heart, Changes...)  However when I was at the show I started hearing all these songs I recognized but did realize were Yes like Heart of the Sunrise , And You and I , Starship Trooper. ( I know , I lived a sheltered life when I was young!) Anyway, after that I started exploring more  Yes and other prog bands like Genesis, Rush, Tull, Pink Floyd...
I've been exploring ever since...
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2017 at 21:51
Originally posted by Zem Zem wrote:

In middle school an online friend of mine made a video and used "Ride the Comet" by Ayreon from 01011001 as the background song. As someone who had the general opinion at that time that I didn't really care for music, I was really impressed by what they heard. I listened to that album religiously for a while and then expanded into some of the other albums before falling off from it. About 4 years ago, I learned a friend of mine from my local game s hop also liked Ayreon and so we listened through most of the albums on a long road trip together. That re-sparked my interested in Ayreon which led me to branch out into the work of the vocalists involved. This introduced me to Dream Theater, Opeth, etc. That made me realize all these groups were considered 'progressive' which led to me listening to more modern prog groups like Steven Wilson, Haken, and more. Then I slowly started to branch into old school prog with Pink Floyd and from there discovered King Crimson, Genesis, Yes, ELP, Gentle Giant, Hawkwind, Rush, and all my other favorites. I also recently started collecting vinyl earlier this year which has allowed me to find even more obscure groups and I now have over 100 records that are all prog. It's funny to think that if it wasn't for that one Ayreon song, I would've never been exposed to the genre I love.

That's a truly amazing story. I love hearing stories like this. I am going to go out on a limb and say you are probably no older than 22? I really like to hear stories about how younger folks get into prog. I know usually it's through the internet(somehow)but I'm always curious to hear who the gateway bands are these days for the younger folks. I get the feeling that aside from maybe Pink Floyd or Rush it isn't going to be Yes, Genesis, ELP, KC or JT but instead will be bands and artists like Ayreon, Devin Townshend, Opeth, Steven Wilson or whoever else is branching out to a wider audience that is still considered prog. Not sure if younger folks are still getting into prog through Dream Theater though. 
Boojieboy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2017 at 14:28
In the late 70s, I got into Kansas, Jethro Tull, Rush, and so on, but they were more straightforward than the "deeper" prog.

Later, in 1984, A guitarist / band-member friend of mine started rambling on about King Crimson, followed by Eno and a host of others. I started listening to stuff, and dove in. There was plenty of KC and Eno stuff to see the variety in even just those two. That branched out into Fripp solo work, Talking Heads, Cluster, and so on.

Another like band member (keyboard player) turned me on to Gentle Giant. Then I was really hooked. 

Edited by Boojieboy - July 06 2017 at 14:31
Zem View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2017 at 16:58
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

That's a truly amazing story. I love hearing stories like this. I am going to go out on a limb and say you are probably no older than 22? I really like to hear stories about how younger folks get into prog. I know usually it's through the internet(somehow)but I'm always curious to hear who the gateway bands are these days for the younger folks. I get the feeling that aside from maybe Pink Floyd or Rush it isn't going to be Yes, Genesis, ELP, KC or JT but instead will be bands and artists like Ayreon, Devin Townshend, Opeth, Steven Wilson or whoever else is branching out to a wider audience that is still considered prog. Not sure if younger folks are still getting into prog through Dream Theater though. 

I'm only 20 and it seems generally there is a fairly large age gap between myself and most people who listen to prog. Dream Theater was a huge introduction to Prog Metal for me and helped me get into the genre. Older Progressive Rock, however, is generally lost on my age group. Most of the music never saw extended radio play meaning it doesn't show back up in modern popular culture (except for maybe some Pink Floyd) and most of the music is from European based bands that never had a super large impact here in the US. Also, most people my age don't tend to have the attention span required to listen through progressive rock albums. They'd rather listen to music that is more easily digestible for the most part. 

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2017 at 13:14
Yeah, I don't disagree with most of what you say. I'd say at least 50 percent of prog fans are over 40 with maybe 40 percent being over 50 but it's actually difficult to say exactly. Most younger prog fans do seem to be mostly into prog metal if they are into prog at all. Other than that they like Pink Floyd and Rush but Yes(and the other older well known bands)seem lost on most of them. I would say the biggest age gap though is people in their thirties. There seems to be fewer prog fans in their thirties than any other age range. My opinion is that it's because most people get into music when they are in their teens and that would mean that those in their thirties would have been in their teens in the 90's which is when the fewest number of people were discovering prog(imo)(Dream Theater might be one exception of a band that helped people get into prog in the 90's though). There's even more people my age(40's) who got into prog in the eighties than in the nineties because Floyd, Yes, Genesis and Rush were all still very big in the eighties. In the nineties it was less obvious and with the exception of Rush and Floyd the fanbases of most of those bands decreased in the 90's. All imo of course. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - July 09 2017 at 13:18
mlkpad14 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2017 at 14:28
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Yeah, I don't disagree with most of what you say. I'd say at least 50 percent of prog fans are over 40 with maybe 40 percent being over 50 but it's actually difficult to say exactly. Most younger prog fans do seem to be mostly into prog metal if they are into prog at all. Other than that they like Pink Floyd and Rush but Yes(and the other older well known bands)seem lost on most of them. I would say the biggest age gap though is people in their thirties. There seems to be fewer prog fans in their thirties than any other age range. My opinion is that it's because most people get into music when they are in their teens and that would mean that those in their thirties would have been in their teens in the 90's which is when the fewest number of people were discovering prog(imo)(Dream Theater might be one exception of a band that helped people get into prog in the 90's though). There's even more people my age(40's) who got into prog in the eighties than in the nineties because Floyd, Yes, Genesis and Rush were all still very big in the eighties. In the nineties it was less obvious and with the exception of Rush and Floyd the fanbases of most of those bands decreased in the 90's. All imo of course. 

Well I'm only about twenty... I listen to only about everything.
https://gamecrazyprofessional.weebly.com/
enriqueilluminato View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2017 at 18:11
I'll tell you how I got started with prog rock:
(since I can remember,I always wantetd to watch the TV news channels because of the music they played before the nonsense chatting... that music..yeez!)
8 years ago, feeling bored at home, watching tv, I got to stop zapping and started to watch and listen avidly at that show.. "7 ages of rock", because of the sounds I could recognize... it was the Pink Floyd... it was "Echoes", I mean, I didn't know any damn thing about the latter, but the sounds from that song captivated my mind, and immediately knew it was the kind of music I had always been waiting to discover in a decent way... same day before the afternoon ended, I had come back from my local music store and bought my first ever prog rock cd. PF's Meddle. I was dazzled. I got hooked. A happy lad indeed... and still am, gladly.

That's how I got started with Prog Rock
Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2017 at 08:36
1972ish, I was browsing through my dad's LP collection and found one with no words on the cover, just a photograph of a cow. (Atom Heart Mother is still my favourite album today.)
I got into Pink Floyd immediately, previously unaware that songs could be longer than 10 minutes.
After that I wasn't especially into progressive music, but liked a few obvious things such as Tubular Bells and Autobahn.
Later I discovered experimental music of various kinds, and started listening to bands not considered prog like The Residents and Throbbing Gristle. Eventually, more than forty years after my childhood incident with the cow, I decided to give prog a proper listen, and here we are.
rotten hound of the burnie crew
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2017 at 09:47
How can I tell you about something that only started 45 years ago? Wink
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2017 at 14:54
I actually have this posted already but - 
I've been enjoying music about as long as I can remember.  Don't quite remember back to when I was born in 1965 and would have serious doubts that Zappa and the Mothers Freak Out! was being played around the house in '66, but I do have an early memory of hearing Grieg's Peer Gynt Suite No 1 'a.  I actually didn't find out the title and composer or the melody that had been in my head until college.  

In my early years music was mostly a matter of listening to radio, singles, or my parent's LPs.  I remember Focus, Hocus Pocus getting some airplay and liking it.  I was probably 7 or 8 years old at the time.  A little time later I heard ELP's Tocatta, a cousin's copy.  That really appealed to me at the time because I was a big fan of monster movies and science fiction.

My first progressive music albums (vinyl, of course) were Rick Wakeman's Journey to the Centre of the Earth and The Myths and Legends of King Arthur...  I was attracted more to these albums by the concept than the progressive music qualities of the albums.  I got  them in initial music club order along with a couple of soundtrack albums (Earthquake and Airport ?75), a couple of Redd Foxx comedy albums (raunchy standup, I was too young but I loved it), maybe one or two others that elude my memory.

The Wakeman albums didn't totally convert me to the progressive music addict that I am today.  The summer of 1978 was  pivotal though.  I had been enjoying Genesis' Follow You Follow Me on the radio, which still didn't lead totally convert me, it wasn't really progressive anyway.  Also, Chuck Mangione's Feels So Good helped spark my interest in jazz/rock fusion and jazz.

My first concert was Kansas at the Alexander Memorial Colliseum in June of 1978.  It was kind of a big event with my Mom, my brother, a few of his friends, and my best friend at the time attending.  My Mom gave one of my brother's friends a ticket, which he repaid by giving my Mom a beat up acoustic guitar.  It pretty much laid around the house unused, but I started to mess around with it a little when no one else was around.  One of the first pieces of music I was able to halfway decently imitate was Roxy Music?s The Bogus Man.  

Probably getting a little ahead of myself chronologically with the guitar playing stuff.  What really got me totally hooked on prog was Genesis' Nursery Cryme and Foxtrot.  The particular edition was a cheesy econo combo vinyl release of the two, no original cover art, and maybe lyrics inside (not absolutely certain) that my brother had.  Much of what I had been listening to at the time started to go by the wayside.  I had Wings' Band on the Run and ELO?s Out of the Blue, but I quit listening to them.  All the usual suspects and some less usual pushed them out of the way, Genesis, ELP, Yes, Jethro Tull, Santana, The Dixie Dregs, Kansas, King Crimson, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Gentle Giant, Focus, PFM, Frank Zappa and many more.

The real gem as a music collector in those days was the used $2 single and $3 LP.  I worked a part time job at a used and new bookstore while I was in high school which really facilitated building up a music collection.  I still have most of it intact and in decent shape.  There?s a lot of stuff that are really collection items and I must hang on to and preserve, stuff that hasn't made it to CD and stuff that has made it that I wish I knew what to do with.  Of course one of these day I suspect my music CD and DVD collection will take over this house and destroy us all!!!

Back to the late ?70s early ?80?s, I was really fortunate to attend a lot of concerts: many progressive music shows at venues I was too young to get into like the Agora, outdoor jazz in Piedmont Park , bigger spots like the Fox Theater/the Omni, small nightclubs like the Harvest Moon Saloon.  I?ve seen the Dixie Dregs more times than I can count.  Soon came college and eventually at 21 I was able to go where I please.  There was this brief moment when they were jacking up the drinking age that I was barred from entering the Agora even though I was over 18.  I do thank my lucky stars that I was able to see so many good concerts in drinking establishments before I reached 18.  I wasn't there for the booze dammit, just the music.

The '08's were my college years (architecture) and really not the progressive musical wasteland that many consider it despite too many of the usual suspects going or having already gone south. 

I always have a great chuckle at vinyl snobbery.  I grew up in the vinyl and cassette age. 8 tracks and reel to reels were out there but fading fast when I became a prog nut.  I'd always copy my albums to cassette to preserve the vinyl and get the portability.  Vinyl scratches and nothing takes away from the music experience like a record scratch.  I also used dbx for the cassettes, which would make a copy that sounded as good as the LP, unlike dullby.  In addition to recording whole albums, I'd also make assortment tapes.

When CDs came out they were a godsend, even despite the fact that in the early days they'd often just put the LP master on the CD and not master for the CD format, a big no no.  On a funny note, my first CD version of Marscape was actually transferred to CD by playing an LP, you can hear the needle noise at the quiet parts.

I eventually quit buying LPs and making cassettes.  I lost all my cassettes and a bunch of LPs I was going to sell in the flood of 2009.  I still have two boom boxes that can play cassettes but nothing to play in them.

Along comes the age of the MP3 or digital music files.  I was reluctant to embrace it at first.  I got my first player because it would be a great way to take my music collection with me on vacations.  I used to spend inordinate amounts of time figuring out what CDs to load into my carrying case.  Having my entire collection accessible on computer and on a portable player (currently use a Zune) is a wonderful thing.  And I can still sit down and listen to the CD if I want to enjoy the music that way.  So there, vinyl snobs.  Update - the Zune finally died.  Thanks Microsoft for no longer supporting it.  I now keep as much music as possible on my "smart" "phone". heheheh.  By the way lots of great new prog artists out there. 

Ciccada, Djam Karet, Ecovillage, feat Esserela, IO Earth, Mother Tongue, Pandora Snail, Parallel Mind, Perfect Beings, Rainbird, Billie, Staves, The, Tea Club, The,  Thieve's Kitchen, The, Big Big Train, Chatoorgoon, Rani, Fractal Mirror, Herd Of Instinct, I Am The Morning, Knifeworld, Djam Karet, Bartsch's, Nik Mobile, Pineapple Thief, The, Dream The Electric Sleep...

I should also add that something else is bringing back the you have to sit down and listen or watch and listen and that is the DVD and surround sound.   I have built up a good collection of live stuff and had already built up a good VHS collection, which I have transferred most of to DVD.

On a final note anyone remember quad back in the '70's?

For those that care my collection is holding steady for a while at
1614 CDs (discs and/or titles if box sets have discs in separate jewel cases I give each disc a number)
177 DVDs and or VHS copied to DVD
172 Keeper LPs
(more to come)

Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

SquonkHunter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2017 at 20:44
Early 1969. 12 years old. At a friend's house admiring the new stereo rig he got for Christmas. My first exposure to Dallas "underground" FM rock radio. Moody Blues - Legend of a Mind. That was the beginning. Didn't hear much back then because I did not have an FM radio. Fast forward a few years and then I heard The Yes Album. That did it. I was hooked for life. Been a hell of a ride since then.
"You never had the things you thought you should have had and you'll not get them now..."
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2017 at 05:11
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

I guess you could take it back to 1978 when I first heard Jeff Waynes War of the Worlds. It had a similar effect on me, aged 10 or so, that The Wall did when I was about 13.

That pretty much sums it up for me too, although I was 8 when I first heard WOTW and around 14 when The Wall came into my world.  It would be many years before I became a "proper" fan of prog, in fact it was The Platinum Collection by Genesis that really opened my ears in the early 2000's, but in between I got into IQ (Menel-era initially), Dream Theater and King's X, without really knowing that I was enjoying "prog".

In the early 80's I was loving, well, 80's music (and still do!!), late 80's it was rock and metal mostly, in the 90's I went to Uni and went through grunge and Britpop (what was I thinking with the latter!), before that Genesis best of truly pushed me down another route...

These days I still listen to mainly prog, but symphonic metal has also eaten into me, mainly female-fronted, such as the mighty Nightwish, Within Temptation, Evanescence, etc.  Plus Devin Townsend Project.

Prog on...
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2017 at 06:04
It all made sense to me one night during a wild night out on the town where a coconut fell on my head. Today I understand prog and additionally pick up radio signals from Fiji. Good times.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2017 at 11:43
I'm particularly curious to hear about how those who are twenty somethings and younger discovered prog. I know it's much easier to find out about prog these days because of the internet but I'm curious about the this band led to that band kind of thing(actually not just with newer stuff but in general).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123