Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRecommend me some mellotron fantasy prog

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Recommend me some mellotron fantasy prog
    Posted: June 02 2017 at 14:49
It's funny because it's the sort of thing I used to look down on, but now I've got a huge craving for prog that sounds like something from a fantasy film or game. Lots of lush mellotron, flute solos, that sort of thing. An entire album's worth of Fountain of Salmascis, or Exiles. I'm familiar with most major prog acts, and none of them quite scratch the itch. Anglagard might come closest, but I'm looking for something maybe peaceful and lush, while they tend to be more angular and brooding (not a criticism by any means, and indeed, one of the reasons I love the band - but it's not quite what I'm looking for right now).

Any recommendations? The first half of the Chronicle of the Invisible River of Stone from Bantom to Behemoth is also in line with what I'm looking for, and I've heard one of Dan Britton's other projects is similar to that sort of thing. Is that worth looking into?
Larkstongue41 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2017 at 16:12
Perhaps this:

"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."
Larkstongue41 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2017 at 16:21
Or this. Less fantasy, more "peaceful and lush":

Edited by Larkstongue41 - June 02 2017 at 16:21
"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."
Prog-jester View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2017 at 19:44
Barclay James Harvest, The Moody Blues, Tangerine Dream and click here too
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2017 at 00:18
I don't know if it meets your criteria, but this is one of my "go to" songs for Mellotron.

--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2017 at 20:50
Originally posted by infocat infocat wrote:

I don't know if it meets your criteria, but this is one of my "go to" songs for Mellotron.

Is this their second album, or a re-recording of their first one, or something like that? I know very little of Landberk, but I understand their first album (Riktigt Akta) was recorded in swedish, and then they re-recorded it in english, as "Lonely Land"... however, I really wish I could find the original swedish one, yet I have not found it available
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2017 at 20:57
How about Metamorfosis' "Inferno"... it's about the Inferno section of the Divine Comedy. Perhaps not exactly Fantasy, but I would think close enough. And it's got lot's of keyboards... actually, I'm not sure if they are mellotrons, but they are very organ-like.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2017 at 21:41
If you aren't familiar with Camel I suggest checking them out as soon as possible. 

infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2017 at 22:24
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Is this their second album, or a re-recording of their first one, or something like that? I know very little of Landberk, but I understand their first album (Riktigt Akta) was recorded in swedish, and then they re-recorded it in english, as "Lonely Land"... however, I really wish I could find the original swedish one, yet I have not found it available
This is from Lonely Land, the English version of the Swedish debut, Riktigt Äkta.  I own only LL, thus this is the version I am familiar with.
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
grantman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2017 at 14:00
two albums in search of a lost chord/moody blues in the court of the crimson king/king crimson

Edited by grantman - June 04 2017 at 14:00
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2017 at 20:33

Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

This is from Lonely Land, the English version of the Swedish debut, Riktigt Äkta.  I own only LL, thus this is the version I am familiar with.

Oh well, I have been trying to make a little list of songs in swedish, and I thought this one would be a nice, and somwhat important, addition to it. I have mainly got Kaipa songs and Hybris, and actually a few single songs that were indeed available on ITunes, but nothing from Riktigt Akta, and for what I heard I think it would be very enjoyable.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2017 at 13:39
I also like that type pf prog.....I would try the last Wobbler-Rites....also anything by Eloy especially the mid period ones Dawn, Passion, Ocean, ....Moody Blues-In Search...Children,.....Fantasy-Beyond,.....Camel-all the early ones..., Enid-In The Region.....Renaissance-Scheherazade.....
  \One of my favorite 'fantasy' tracks...

Edited by dr wu23 - June 05 2017 at 13:41
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
 Post Reply Post Reply