Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIs This The Life We Really Want?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2017 at 05:19
Sadly, Steve, we're just in the dark as much as everyone! (which is probably the reason for something of an exodus amongst some of the members of the site, unfortunately)

Hey, off topic, but I always wanted to know if that is your dog in your photo! My folks have had a few dachshunds over the last thirty years or so, so I always smile when I see your avatar!
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2017 at 07:39
Yes, he was. Unfortunately, he's gone off to the great dog pound in the sky. He was extremely inquisitive, as you can see, and could always make people laugh without even trying. 

Edited by SteveG - June 05 2017 at 14:49
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Pekka View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2017 at 09:42
I think Amused to Death is a masterpiece and the best Floyd related album since Animals, after one listen this new one feels like it might be a worthy successor to that one. Some surprisingly overt nods to the Floyd Sound, but it didn't bother me one bit, just warmed my heart to hear new music made in that style.
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2017 at 09:54
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Yes, he was. Unfortunately, he's gone off to the great dog pound in the sky. He was extremely inquisitive, as you can see, and could always making people laugh without even trying. 

Sorry to hear about your dog; as a lifelong doggy person i know how that feels..

But everytime i see that picture it reminds me of one of the photos of Peter Gabriel around the time of Foxtrot in one of those box/ mask/ head gear arrangements he used to wear.. its also something in your dog's expression as well!LOL

Better make a comment about the topic... havent heard it yet; not sure if i want to.. something about RW's solo lps leaves me cold and i'm sure i mentioned to a friend about 10 years ago that he should get Nigel Goodrich into do the production as it worked so well with radiohead.. but i was being a bit tongue in cheek so..

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2017 at 13:23
I listened to several tracks on you tube and I was not impressed but then I have never been a fan of his solo albums.....much rather listen to the old Floyd things.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
deandob View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2017 at 14:38
+1, nothing too interesting here. Prefer the older Floyd, although Amused to Death is also very good (much better than this one).
Pastmaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2017 at 14:48
Oh, this is about an album.

At first I thought this was another one of PA's famous philosophical trolling threads. 
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2017 at 18:23
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Yes, he was. Unfortunately, he's gone off to the great dog pound in the sky. He was extremely inquisitive, as you can see, and could always make people laugh without even trying. 

Very sorry to hear that, mate, I bet he meant the world to you. My folks have had three of them in their lifetime, and they've always been the most amusing, energetic, friendly and (using your perfect description) inquisitive pets imaginable. They've been trying to convince me to get one as well since I split with my long-term partner a while back, but I work shift-work (ie lots of late nights), so I don't think it would be fair to leave one alone until late at night at my place. Maybe in the future. Cheers, Steve, hope it wasn't inappropriate to ask about it   
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2017 at 20:40
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

The first time I read about Waters preparing a new studio album was when he was on his "In the Flesh" tour. He even played a pair of songs that would suposedly appear on that album. "Each Small Candle" (which appears on the album from that tour, and which I really love), and Flickering Flame (which appears in a studio version on he compilation album... I think with the same name, and which I find somewhat more boring than the other one). And I think he had worked on some other new songs along the years (there was "Leaving Beirut too, which he played when he toured the whole Dark Side of the Moon album). I hoped / expected these songs to end up on his new album, whenever he did end up releasing it. I also remember something about the concepts he had thought for his new album. One was about a taxi driver and the stories he heard when transporting people, and the other was a double album, with one disc having love songs and the other some other theme (war perhaps? He always want to write about war).

mmmhhh!!!.. I read you well about Flame and Candle, but it never dawned on me that they were supposed to be part of an album - outside fan speculations, I don't remember Waters announcing an album (but Al Zheimer could strike me about thatLOL). I mean those two track titles are obviously "concept-album" inducing fantasies.

As for the Beirut track, I have no recollection of it and I vaguely remember the taxi-driver project.

==========

The way I'm spinning this album, it's probably ending up on mly top 10 of the year. Clap

I don't think he ever announced the album officially (neither of the 2 I have some sort of memory about), but at least he did talk about them on interviews or whatever. As for the new album itself, I just gave it a listen on Youtube and really wasn't much impressed. I guess I'll buy it this weekend, though, and hopefully with more listens I'll warm up to some songs. Some bits got my attention, and they may grow on me later on, but most of them are perhaps the ones that sound like he's rehashing old Floyd stuff... and for that matter, those bits actually sound weaker if compared to the true Floyd stuff. Mostly, the songs just sounded tired and unisnpired... but then again, lot's of Floyd stuff sounded that way to me before it clicked with me and became some of my favourite music.
dickmusic View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2017 at 22:05
The production (especially the drums) reminds me of Black Star. It's like Amused to Death part 2 but more personal. I love the album and it's nice to hear that Roger hasn't changed.

Edited by dickmusic - June 05 2017 at 22:06
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2017 at 23:08
I listened to this on the toob. Apart from a really cool, synth passage abut 14 minutes in, was just another, tedious rant with acoustic guitars and pompous orchestral arrangements. Sorry, but not parting with my cash for this one.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2017 at 03:11
What irks me a bit is the very average artwork (but we knew that was happening ever since the release promotion began) , but the booklet is ugly and the lyrics difficult to read for my eyes.

At least he didn't go the digipak way, though.

I mean, if youy're going to go carboard, don't put any plastic at all (outside the disc itself, of couse)LOL
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2017 at 03:19
I LOOOOOOOOATTTHHHEEE (say that in over dramatic fashion for best effect!) those digi-sleeve things even more, Sean! . They feel so insubstantial to me, at least the plastic digi-pack thing holds just a bit more weight to it. Sadly, as environmentally unfriendly as it may be, full plastic case all the way for me is my preference!   

As for the artwork, I think I looked at it and the CD booklet once, ripped the CD to burn and play as a copy without damaging the original and then banished it to my shelf - likely never to be looked at again!
Thatfabulousalien View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2017 at 03:23
I actually don't think I'll listen to this album at all (despite how important Amused To Death is to me)
Classical music isn't dead, it's more alive than it's ever been. It's just not on MTV.

https://www.soundcloud.com/user-322914325
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2017 at 03:43
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

I LOOOOOOOOATTTHHHEEE (say that in over dramatic fashion for best effect!) those digi-sleeve things even more, Sean! . They feel so insubstantial to me, at least the plastic digi-pack thing holds just a bit more weight to it. Sadly, as environmentally unfriendly as it may be, full plastic case all the way for me is my preference!   

Actually I even prefer the jewel caseStern Smile to the digipakAngry... It's filled with plastic, but it's replaceable if something breaksThumbs Up, whereas you're screwed with the digipakThumbs Down...

I would've appreciated the digibook format (as Gilmour seems to be a fan of), though

As for the artwork, I think I looked at it and the CD booklet once, ripped the CD to burn and play as a copy without damaging the original and then banished it to my shelf - likely never to be looked at again!

Yup, insignificant artwork, but then again if it gets worn or scratched, I won't cringe LOL
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2017 at 03:45
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

I listened to this on the toob. Apart from a really cool, synth passage abut 14 minutes in, was just another, tedious rant with acoustic guitars and pompous orchestral arrangements. Sorry, but not parting with my cash for this one.
Me neither, although it's not really surprising. I heard part of the album at a record store last weekend, and it had the same old Dylan impression with tiresome repetitions of TW/TFC/every solo album of his, which wasn't interesting the first time (at least for me). There are so many new bands who carry the good old Floyd sound to bother with this.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2017 at 04:24

Very sorry to hear that, mate, I bet he meant the world to you. My folks have had three of them in their lifetime, and they've always been the most amusing, energetic, friendly and (using your perfect description) inquisitive pets imaginable. They've been trying to convince me to get one as well since I split with my long-term partner a while back, but I work shift-work (ie lots of late nights), so I don't think it would be fair to leave one alone until late at night at my place. Maybe in the future. Cheers, Steve, hope it wasn't inappropriate to ask about it   
No problem at all. I tried to change back to my old avatar a few months ago after he passed but missed looking at his pic. Pictures captures moments in time forever, and that one still gives me a chuckle as well as reminding me of all the hilarious predicaments he used to get into. So thanks for bringing it up. Thumbs Up
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2017 at 04:32
Still digging the album 4th day in a row, but the ending is starting to drag now. No masterpiece but calling Trump a leader "with no f**king brains" is always worth listening to. Big smile
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2017 at 01:31
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Actually I even prefer the jewel caseStern Smile to the digipakAngry... It's filled with plastic, but it's replaceable if something breaksThumbs Up, whereas you're screwed with the digipakThumbs Down...

I would've appreciated the digibook format (as Gilmour seems to be a fan of), though

Oh yeah, man, those lavish weighty digibooks of the last two Gilmour albums! How spoiled have we been with that blobby thing in the middle that the CD slots into?!
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2017 at 04:03
I love Waters as a competent bassist. I do hold him in high esteem.
This new album. - well, I loathe Dylan (love SPIROGYRA though - Barb always gets me....)
Apart from the Floydian synth section around the 13th / 14th minute mark (which whips most recent Gilmour) - well, Roger just rants too much. I'm not into politics - and this theme seems like a very common-place theme to reach the public.   
Damn you Rog, I thought you loved playing bass............
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>