Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIs This The Life We Really Want?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2017 at 04:19
Feel the same Tom. I've heard the album a couple of times now and I find it extremely irritating. The man simply won't shut up for more than a few seconds at a time. The Floydian section of Smell The Roses is a lone dove. The rest is The Final Cut take 4 nahh strike that 5? I'm not sure but he is obviously stuck in the same groove and has been there ever since completing The Wall. 
It's not that I expected a complete musical u-turn from a 73 year old man yet I am still massively disappointed. Maybe it is because the surrounding musicians beg for the spotlight - the music screams for it at times - yet it is, yet again, the grumpy old man vocals that remain the focal point of the album.
I'm sure there are a lot of folks over a certain age who will adore this. As for myself? I'll never reach that level of maturityLOL

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2017 at 04:23
I'm not sure why many refer to Waters' vocals as "Dylan like." Dylan can sing in a winey high pitch while Roger just recites his lyrics. He's basically talking and that's why his "vocals" have not degraded as compared to his contemporaries like Ian Anderson or Gary Brooker. IMO.

I've finally viewed the album booklet greatly enlarged so I can actually see it. Very poor coming from a former Hipgnosis artist.

Edited by SteveG - June 07 2017 at 04:26
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2017 at 04:31
But did anyone expect some kind of psych/super proggy blowout from this album? It's pretty much long established since `The Final Cut' that the lyrics are the prime concern for Roger, and sure enough that's the case on this album. To be honest, I was even stunned to find that he was credited to bass on it! Anyway, occasionally there's some cool instrumental passage that's crafted around his voice and words, although he likely didn't have much of a hand on that side of things (hello, Nigel Godrich!)

Equally praising and damning review on the way, though, if I can pull it together successfully! I don't like my chances though.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2017 at 04:42
I guess you're right Michael, but I must admit that I did expect something "new" or at the very least "fresh" from the album considering Godrich's involvement. 

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2017 at 04:42
No, I did not expect it or Godrich as the producer and song arranger. Waters always needed a musical partner, if you will, to put his songs across and I believe that Godrich is the man.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2017 at 04:46
There definitely is an `Imagine if...' element to it, especially if Godrich was given total free range. You can hear it pop up here and there, but it's definitely truncated by Rog's precious words!

I suppose those who are politically minded will find much more of interest in the album, ie those willing to really dig away at the lyrics and decipher what they're all referring to. Sadly, I don't follow politics one little bit, and I even just got a fine for apparently missing some local region voting just around the corner from me!    
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2017 at 04:55
Agreed. Peeps into politics will most likely find something to chew on in the lyrics...and they will probably also enjoy the album more...from a lyrical standpoint. 
But to me it genuinely sounds like he is saying the exact same things now as he did on The Final Cut or even Amused To Death. New dressing but the same salad. 

- Douglas Adams
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2017 at 04:56
The bottom line is - you can hear he is more than capable of composing 'music' - music that means a lot to a large percentage of his listeners, however, he chooses to rave and drool about the current worldly situation. That's all well and good, but to the extreme that he does - bah. Just play awesome music, not commentary please, Rog.

Edited by Tom Ozric - June 07 2017 at 04:57
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2017 at 15:19
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

The bottom line is - you can hear he is more than capable of composing 'music' - music that means a lot to a large percentage of his listeners, however, he chooses to rave and drool about the current worldly situation. That's all well and good, but to the extreme that he does - bah. Just play awesome music, not commentary please, Rog.

A bit strange ... what made him famous were his wording and his stories that ended up in song form ... and we bought them all. 

Doesn't make sense! This is not the PF era of experimentation and "sound textures" any more, and while Roger went through that, he will be the first to admit that it just is not something he was too happy with, and he (sometimes) still says a lot of that early stuff was rubbish.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2017 at 20:52
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

I'm not sure why many refer to Waters' vocals as "Dylan like." Dylan can sing in a winey high pitch while Roger just recites his lyrics. He's basically talking and that's why his "vocals" have not degraded as compared to his contemporaries like Ian Anderson or Gary Brooker. IMO.

I've finally viewed the album booklet greatly enlarged so I can actually see it. Very poor coming from a former Hipgnosis artist.

Roger's vocals have not degraded? They are just a pale shadow of what they used to be. There's no way he could try to sing Shine On you Crazy Diamond as he did in the album, nor sing and scream and do the angst thing as he did on The Wall and The Final Cut. His voice was already compromised by the time of the Live in Berlin concert.
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2017 at 22:22
Its everything I expected.

I am mostly in his corner politically, but the delivery is just not stimulating. I feel the same about it musically as I did "Blackstar". Hopefully nobody else does.

Edited by Tapfret - June 07 2017 at 22:26
AZF View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2017 at 02:38
I have the album! Going to listen to it, but I've read elsewhere (Unless it's a hoax!) that there is a problem with the album as it distorts when played loud!
Roger is meant to be furious about this.
So if true that would appear in reviews right?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2017 at 02:48
Hmmm, I've listened to `...Life' closely about fifteen times at this point, and I can't say I've really noticed any distortion. Anyone else care to jump in?

By comparison (and unrelated), I was listing to Griot's `Gerard' album a few minutes ago, and the first track on that pretty much crumbles apart in the speakers!
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2017 at 03:05
Originally posted by Pekka Pekka wrote:

I think Amused to Death is a masterpiece and the best Floyd related album since Animals, after one listen this new one feels like it might be a worthy successor to that one. Some surprisingly overt nods to the Floyd Sound, but it didn't bother me one bit, just warmed my heart to hear new music made in that style.

I feel the same way after one listen. The new album doesn't disappoint me.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2017 at 03:41
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

As for the artwork, I think I looked at it and the CD booklet once, ripped the CD to burn and play as a copy without damaging the original and then banished it to my shelf - likely never to be looked at again!

Well, often it's not the size of the text in the bookle , but the police itself ...

in this case, it's OK on both (well the credits on the last page is my visual comfort limit) , but it's that awful red highlighting that makes it difficult to read it... or else they should've widened the underlining itself so that the text is really encapsulated in the red... here, you've got white letters touching the white background and the red high-lighting serves no purpose

Never heard the Dylan comparison.... But in the last few years, I have seen some Leonard Cohen concerts , and TBH, I made a link with Roger Waters' vocal delivery

yup, maybe the poorest of all Floyd alumni

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2017 at 04:07
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Roger's vocals have not degraded? They are just a pale shadow of what they used to be. There's no way he could try to sing Shine On you Crazy Diamond as he did in the album, nor sing and scream and do the angst thing as he did on The Wall and The Final Cut. His voice was already compromised by the time of the Live in Berlin concert.
I'm sure Roger could still sing Shine On with three female soul singers making him sound better. Just like in the old days. Remember, Waters could not handle the vocals for Have A Cigar, giving that over to Roy Harper who basically imitated Roger, but actually singing in tune. He was never a great singer to begin with.

Edited by SteveG - June 08 2017 at 04:19
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2017 at 04:16
Originally posted by AZF AZF wrote:

I have the album! Going to listen to it, but I've read elsewhere (Unless it's a hoax!) that there is a problem with the album as it distorts when played loud!
Roger is meant to be furious about this.
So if true that would appear in reviews right?
It's not an album that I would really crank up like The Wall, but I've played it moderately loud and didn't notice any distortion. I've have read complaints about the sound mix from some people, but to me its a matter of taste.

Edited by SteveG - June 08 2017 at 04:17
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2017 at 04:18
Captchas are running on double time today. Angry I'm out of here for now.

Edited by SteveG - June 08 2017 at 04:20
AZF View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2017 at 06:37
Had a morning of playing it over. The sound is weird as it sounds like it would be as expansive as Wish You Were Here, but there's this muffled sound. And then Roger's voice comes in crystal clear..
I love the title track and Bird In A Gale.
Wait For Her is the only poetry interpretation since Golden Hair on his friend's album.
Having a break from listening, but I can say although it's his best solo album, but no idea how this will stand when compared to other albums considered best.
I'm more satisfied with this than the last three albums Roger made with Pink Floyd.
I recommend a listen but it isn't even Autumn!

Edited by AZF - June 08 2017 at 06:38
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2017 at 06:46
Originally posted by AZF AZF wrote:

Had a morning of playing it over. The sound is weird as it sounds like it would be as expansive as Wish You Were Here, but there's this muffled sound. And then Roger's voice comes in crystal clear..
I love the title track and Bird In A Gale.
Wait For Her is the only poetry interpretation since Golden Hair on his friend's album.
Having a break from listening, but I can say although it's his best solo album, but no idea how this will stand when compared to other albums considered best.
I'm more satisfied with this than the last three albums Roger made with Pink Floyd.
I recommend a listen but it isn't even Autumn!
Without getting technical, there's a bit of sharpness missing from the music but that's down to a particular EQing of the album's music.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>