Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIs This The Life We Really Want?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2017 at 16:48
Good Roger review from you on the front page the other day, Steve!
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2017 at 17:02
A 4.29 first listen.

Excellent!
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2017 at 04:25
^Thanks Aussie Byrd Bro. On quick reflection Barbu, I changed my rating from 3.5 stars to a solid 4 stars. I must have been having a senior moment at the time. Or partying too much. Or just digging the album. All three probably, while really enjoying myself! LOL 

Edited by SteveG - June 19 2017 at 08:00
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2017 at 19:06
^ A slightly more sober 3.83 7th or 8th listen last night.

I think this one will oscillate between 3.75 and 4.25 for me.

It's a damn fine record for sure and worth many spins.

Edited by Barbu - June 22 2017 at 19:27
MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2018 at 16:57
Of course the lyrics are great, but the mixing is awful.. So compressed, and not a single guitar solo..

I like the title-track, Picture That, and Smell the Roses.. I guess it's better than nothing, but it's not comparable to Pink Floyd, and neither is Gilmour's stuff.. I think they were the most complementary duo in rock, although Waters did write most of the music, and sang half the songs, but Gilmour made everything better.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2018 at 23:07
To me this is the best Rog solo.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2018 at 02:10
Originally posted by MortSahlFan MortSahlFan wrote:

Of course the lyrics are great, but the mixing is awful.. So compressed, and not a single guitar solo..

I like the title-track, Picture That, and Smell the Roses.. I guess it's better than nothing, but it's not comparable to Pink Floyd, and neither is Gilmour's stuff.. I think they were the most complementary duo in rock, although Waters did write most of the music, and sang half the songs, but Gilmour made everything better.

To me the song writing credits in PF are strange to say the least. There are a lot of songs credited to Waters but then you hear Wright and Gilmour doing a lot of things in those songs. I mean how is Welcome to the Machine a Waters song when the greatest thing about that song is Wright's keyboards. 
And many other songs...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2018 at 02:58
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

To me the song writing credits in PF are strange to say the least. There are a lot of songs credited to Waters but then you hear Wright and Gilmour doing a lot of things in those songs. I mean how is Welcome to the Machine a Waters song when the greatest thing about that song is Wright's keyboards. 
And many other songs...

Roger usually gave the best songs for Gilmour to sing. There's a "Making of Wish You Were Here" and I believe Roger did most of the synth stuff, sound affects.. I'm guessing that beautiful 20 second finale might be Rick's pleading synth/keyboard.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2018 at 03:03

And many other songs...

Roger usually gave the best songs for Gilmour to sing. There's a "Making of Wish You Were Here" and I believe Roger did most of the synth stuff, sound affects.. I'm guessing that beautiful 20 second finale might be Rick's pleading synth/keyboard.

sound effects yes, but Rick did the synths/keys. 
Roger was a total a*hole to Rick. 
Rick ended up a hired musician status in the band after '77. 
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2018 at 03:05
Roger is good at creating a concept but he always had to surround himself by great musicians to pull his ideas off. He had Clapton on Pros and Cons and Jeff Beck on Amused... 

Edited by Cristi - March 02 2018 at 03:06
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2018 at 04:32

Roger is good at creating a concept but he always had to surround himself by great musicians to pull his ideas off. He had Clapton on Pros and Cons and Jeff Beck on Amused... 

They added guitar solos - that had nothing to do with his songs.. They were done (you can hear some demos during the PF days), and they added on top of what was done. Each guy only had one decent solo, anyway (title track, and What God Wants).. I wonder how "Pros and Cons" would have heard had the other 3 in PF chose that instead of "The Wall".
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2018 at 04:45

They added guitar solos - that had nothing to do with his songs.. They were done (you can hear some demos during the PF days), and they added on top of what was done. Each guy only had one decent solo, anyway (title track, and What God Wants).. I wonder how "Pros and Cons" would have heard had the other 3 in PF chose that instead of "The Wall".

Nothing to do with songs? Their presence made the songs better, solos add a lot to songs if you ask me. 

I wonder what The Wall might have sounded if it were a collective effort. 
The Wall might have been Roger's work, but Gilmour, Ezrin and Kamen added a lot to the final product. 

Edited by Cristi - March 02 2018 at 04:45
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2018 at 05:01

Nothing to do with songs? Their presence made the songs better, solos add a lot to songs if you ask me. 

I wonder what The Wall might have sounded if it were a collective effort. 
The Wall might have been Roger's work, but Gilmour, Ezrin and Kamen added a lot to the final product. 

Just sounded like you inferred he depended on those guys. Jeff Beck said he always wanted to work with him, especially after hearing he drove to the Middle East in a car with hardly any cash, and said he wouldn't leave his yard if he didn't have at least 10 quid on him... I love guitar solos, but I think if he would have used Dave Kilminster, he still would have good something great - Roger has a good ear.. The producer doesn't like guitar solos, and Roger said this was the first time he let someone else really produce, but most think it's mixed real poorly, with some sanitized Radiohead-esque sound affects - that's not what Pink Floyd was about. Roger's songs were mostly cowboy chord songs with a little bit of polish. I expected more considering it had been a few decades since his last one.

Even as recently as a few years ago, Roger said that Gilmour was great, and mentioned how the three co-produced it. I know he only has 3 credits, but as I've mentioned before - David will take ANY song and make it better. He plays a cool solo on Supertramp's "Brother Where You Bound" (Helliwell later played some sax on a later album).

Have you heard any of The Wall demos? The longer, but slower and funkier version of "Young Lust" is really cool. Also nice to hear all the variations of "Another Brick" - including the tribal tom-tom drumming on one version, and added lyrics/melody.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2018 at 00:16

And many other songs...
That is called arranging. I believe Roger composed songs, then they together make arrangements (I mean songs that are credited to Roger). Anyway no mention of arrangements in Wish You Were Here, only "produced by Pink Floyd". Of course it could also be possible Rog has said to Rick "I want you to play this song this kind of synths..." Who knows? And I am not saying Rog has been the easiest person, but you have to remember Rick had a big drug-problem in the end of seventies and hadn´t got any interest to Pink Floyd. And Rog has later regretted how he treated Rick.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2018 at 05:54
I think you and others might enjoy this.. It's really cool! Reminds me of the show "Classic Albums" in a way.

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2018 at 05:59
^ I've seen that :)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2018 at 06:01

^ I've seen that :)

Why did they remove that cool bass line in "Welcome to the Machine"? -- sounded so groovy!
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2018 at 06:06
^ why do artists do a lot of things, I have no idea. 

For instance, I listened to some demos/early version of sorts of songs from Marillion's Afraid of Sunlight, and these days I enjoy them more than what's on the album (LOL). 

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2018 at 06:43

agreed completely man.. Look at Gilmour's contribution to Brother Where Are You Bound. Sure as was nothing more than a hired guitar gun.. but man alive did he add something special to it. 
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345